Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #1

Which Limited Lens?

Guys, hoping that you can weigh in with a little problem I've been pondering over lately... LBA has kicked in recently and I'm stuck with the difficult choice between the DA15 or the DA35?

I'm best described as a casual photographer with no specific focus. Photography is my weekend hobby and I'll shoot everything and anything, although going forward my friends and I are hoping to break into wedding and glamour photography.

In terms of the limited series, I currently have the DA21, DA40 and DA70. As the only Pentaxian among my circle, I love my pancake primes and it always amuses me to see my friends green with envy when I bust these babies out. Other lenses in my collection include the FA50, the Tamron 17-50, and the Tamron 70-200. My absolute favorite lens among all this is the DA40, which just oozes with character and personality.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted the DA35 but I've always managed to find an excuse put it off. Time after time I see an amazing image posted here by a talented forum member, which just increases my lust for this beautiful lens.

I almost pulled the trigger tonight on the DA35 but then the doubts started creeping back again - in terms of focal length it's too close to the DA40, and I've already got the range covered by my Tamron. The DA15 would be the more logical option, being a focal length I don't currently have. But then I worry about it being too slow, and... argggg!! It does my head in!!!

Guys, I need your help! Which way do you think I should go??!

11-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You live once. If you want it that bad and can afford it just get it. Who knows...you make like it enough to sell off your DA40 to offset some of the price.

c[_]
11-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #3

Personally I would get the 15mm ltd as it's a completely different focal length than what you already have, compared to the 35mm which is very close to the 40mm. Of course, the best thing would be to get both, but that's going to be expensive.
11-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the DA35 and it is awsome lens.
But if you don't need the macro function of DA35, I'd go with DA15 also.
DA15 gives you more versality for landscapes for example, but it will not be as good of a choice if you're thinking of wedding or indoor photography in general.

11-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got all 5 DA Limiteds, and while I enjoy both my DA 35 and DA 40 a great deal, I find I use the 40 more. My totally subjective opinion is that it's a bit sharper, and it certainly focuses faster. So, if macro is only incidental to your needs, I'd go with a DA 15 - which, as others have said, will give you a kit with more overall versatility.

Jer
11-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

No way would I hesitate even slightly to get the DA15 just because it is "slow". One doesn't get a wide angle lens like this for its low light capability; one gets it to use stopped down for the msot part. Or to get the sort of effects one gets by shooting really close to a subject and putting the background out of focus, which doesn't require anything more than f/4. And besides, even in low light, you don't need a particular fast shutter speed to handhold a shot at 15mm.

In your shoes, given what you already have (eg, the DA40), I'd get the DA35 only if macro interests you more than wide angle, and even then I'd hesitate, because there might be more effective ways of getting macro (eg, a Raynox for a longer lens you already have, or a longer macro lens for the greater working distance and to cover a focal length you don't already have).
11-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Definitely go with the DA 15. You have the 35mm FL more or less covered and honestly, if you want macro capability you should try something in the 60-105mm range where you will complement your range of FL's and also get a macro with a large working distance. Pentax, Sigma and Tamron all have good options in that range.

11-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys, overwhelming support to take logic over heart - something that I can definitely live with!
11-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmm, I don't like it so much when yo put it that way. If, despite all that has been said, your heart is still saying DA35, then that's the way to go.