Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens Hood for 55-300 DA L

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have just ordered a K-X kit with the 55-300 DA L and am having trouble finding a Pentax lens hood for the lens. I see various after-market hoods but not specifically for the 55-300 lens. Any suggestions?

11-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The lens comes with a lens hood. So, you don't to look for any. Enjoy the lens. I have one also and I love it.
11-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atyab Quote
The lens comes with a lens hood.
I believe the "L" version of the lens (the lightweight, plastic-mount version that comes in the K-x kit) does not come with a hood included. That's what the OP is asking about.

Assuming the "L" version has the same bayonet mount for the hood, you shoud be able to use the same hood that the regular DA 55-300 uses, which is the PH-RBG hood. Unfortunately, since the 55-300 is a fairly new lens, this accessory isn't widely available. B+H Photo has it, as does the PENTAX web store. Both have it for the same price, $64. Pentax Webstore Lens Hood PH-RBG 58mm. That's a bit pricey, in my opinion.

One alternative would be to get an aftermarket 58-mm screw-in hood. The only one I see that's long enough for telephoto lenses on the B+H site is metal, but if that's not a problem for you, it's an affordable solution. The problem with a screw-in hood is that you can't reverse it for storage. You could loosely place it backwards over the end of your capped lens when it's in your bag, though.

The other possibility is to see if a very similar Pentax hood would work instead. The hood for the DA* 55mm (PH-RBH) is also a 58-mm bayonet hood and it looks to be about the same length as the RBG. And that makes sense, as the short end of the 55-300 is the same as the prime. From the picture on the website (I don't have a real DA* 55mm to compare to), the mount looks identical on both lenses. If the RBH hood would fit on the DA-55-300, I'd get that since it's only $30. It's worth trying, in my opinion.
11-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. Great suggestions. I will followup and check out your suggested options. This forum is great thanks to good people like you!!

11-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #5

Hey old man. Try some card stock rolled up and taped on there with some 3M black electrical tape. Just kidding. Is the lens a 55mm filter or 52mm? If the latter, I can lend you an extra hood. . Welcome to the forum. Now time to start teaching me how to use my k20d.
11-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Moved to lens forum.
xmen, welcome to the forum, please be careful where you post.
11-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #7

Couple of options:
Pentax | PH-RBF58 58mm Lens Hood | 38743 | B&H Photo Video
This one might fit...
eBay.com.my: 58mm Flower Petal Lens Hood Canon Nikon Sony Pentax etc (item 110434492824 end time Dec 13, 2009 01:36:18 MYT)
or eBay option...for the price might be worth a try.
then again none of them may work