Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #1

K10D kit lens

How is the kit lens on the K10D? I prefer primes but won't be able to afford other lenses for awhile once I make this purchase. The pancakes look lovely but they are too expensive, and I would rather stick to Pentax lenses only. I already have the SMC-M 50mm/f1.4 and plan to purchase a SMC-M 28mm/f2.8 while they are still cheaply available on ebay.

11-19-2006, 10:49 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
There is a number of lenses that will be offered as "kit" lenses with the K10D.
11-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's the DA18-55 that was kitted with my DL, it's not a bad lens for the money and allows you to mess around and discover which focal length(s) you most use, if you don't already know. It vignettes at the wide end, but that can be fixed in pp. Obviously it's not as nice as a prime, or some of the pricier zooms, but it's a perfectly acceptable lens. Some say it's soft wide open - I haven't looked closely but I would say my best results have been with it stopped down, around f11. Check out the K100 kit lens challenge in the "Challenges and games" section, there are some nice shots with this lens there. Granted those are all on a 6MP sensor, but I'm sure it'll be acceptable on 10MP as well.

The 28mm is a great choice for focal length, I have a crappy Tamron 28mm that I use a lot. Nice "normal" fov, good general purpose length. Enjoy your K10, and post some photos soon!

Julie