Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which hood is this for?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The typical Pentax leather case for a hood that says "Ashai Pentax". Inside there is a plastic hood as seen in the picture. It is smaller than 49mm.....presumably 46mm? Has anyone seen one of these before and do you know what it is meant to be matched with?

Thanks!

Steve

11-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
The typical Pentax leather case for a hood that says "Ashai Pentax". Inside there is a plastic hood as seen in the picture. It is smaller than 49mm.....presumably 46mm? Has anyone seen one of these before and do you know what it is meant to be matched with?

Thanks!

Steve
Steve: If that hood has Asahi Optical Co. printed around the filter ring flange and is made of Bakelite (30's to 50's hard plastic) it is the same (or similar to the) hood I just mounted to my 46mm Auto-Tak 55/1.8.

I do not know for certain it was INTENDED for the Auto-Tak, but it fits! I even have the same case.

There is a 35/3.5 FS on ebay including a hood - not this hood, for sure Auto-Takumar Asahi Pentax 35mm/3.5 lens and rare shade
11-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

If it doesn't fit the 46mm filter thread directly, he may require the silver ring like in the series 7 stuff. Nesster had a thread about this a while back.
11-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If it doesn't fit the 46mm filter thread directly, he may require the silver ring like in the series 7 stuff. Nesster had a thread about this a while back.
It's not threaded.....it has a ring but almost like push on..

It's at work...I'll look for the asahi stamp tomorrow.

Thanks!

11-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

46mm Asahi lens hood

The 46mm lens hood with threads I have is shown in an instruction manual scan at Butkus Here as used on the 105 pre-set, standard 135 and 55 lenses (catalog pp. 42. - .pdf pp. 20).

This is the second half of the manual - the first 20 pages are a different file, so I don't know to which camera this applies, but htere is a similar looking page from the H2 on the Pentax iimaging website. The pictured lenshood is all black and has the engraved Asahi Optical Co., as does the one I have mounted to my Auto-Tak 55/1.8 on my K. I'm getting closer to authenticating mine as intended for the Auto-Tak 55/1.8.

Haven't found anyting yet on a press-on hood, but there is additional text that in the referenced instruction manual says "special lenshoods are available for 35/4 and 35/2.3 lenses." Perhaps yours is one of those.
11-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK...looking at it again,

- It looks like Bakelite plastic
- Closer examination shows that there is a single thread in the bakelite presumably at 46mm
- There are no markings anywhere to indicate it is made by Asahi/Pentax
- The inside of the hood also has threads
- It fits the Pentax case perfectly and the markings in the inside felt match so presumably the case was not from another hood. (no way of telling for sure)

Getting closer....I'll take it home tonight and will try mounting it on a auto-tak.....

Thanks!
Steve
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK...looking at it again,

- It looks like Bakelite plastic
- Closer examination shows that there is a single thread in the bakelite presumably at 46mm
- There are no markings anywhere to indicate it is made by Asahi/Pentax
- The inside of the hood also has threads
- It fits the Pentax case perfectly and the markings in the inside felt match so presumably the case was not from another hood. (no way of telling for sure)

Getting closer....I'll take it home tonight and will try mounting it on a auto-tak.....

Thanks!
Steve
- Are the internal threads inside the hood mount or objective end?
- if they are on objective end, are they really light baffles?

If you have external threads on the mount end you could possibly have the top part of a two-piece, 49mm thread hood that was issued a little later than 1959 - I think very early Super-Tak 50's. The bottom part, that actually screwed into the filter ring, was sliver painted and engraved Asahi in black.

Whitemetal has an image.

I think have one - I'll look and take a photo of both this evening.

This is really fun - glad I started this part of the hobby. Last night I got my parents' Argus C3 out of a box and started cleaning it up -

11-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

If you have external threads on the mount end you could possibly have the top part of a two-piece, 49mm thread hood that was issued a little later than 1959 - I think very early Super-Tak 50's. The bottom part, that actually screwed into the filter ring, was sliver painted and engraved Asahi in black.

Whitemetal has an image.

This is really fun - glad I started this part of the hobby. Last night I got my parents' Argus C3 out of a box and started cleaning it up -
I have an Argus C4 that I have been playing with.
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Whitemetal has an image.

The threads are on the lens side of the hood - a single thread external and about 4 threads internal. They are definately threads (you can see where the first thread starts) but I am presuming that they are meant to be threaded onto something and not there just to be a light baffle.

This pic didn't really turn out ...but here it is anyways....Not that you can see it in this pic, there are 6 square pieces of plastic evenly spaced on the inside.....they don't serve any purpose, just there for design.

11-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I was wrong....the threads are 49mm (fits my 83mm Tak just fine). I'll keep looking around the internet trying to see what era it's from...
11-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Pentax made a plastic one like that for the FA, F and A 50mm f1.4. I have a new one that I use on the FA.
11-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I was wrong....the threads are 49mm (fits my 83mm Tak just fine). I'll keep looking around the internet trying to see what era it's from...
Possibly a transition piece between the 46mm and the engraved metal 49mm.

Or is it possible that all the paint has just rubbed off?

In the late 50's to mid 60's plastic was all the rage, and was considered a premium material (vis. the exchange between Mr. McGuire and Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) in the movie, The Graduate,):
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?
I have a 1965 premium bamboo fly fishing rod. The end cap of the aluminum rod tube is made of green plastic. Today a similar end cap would be brass. For a long time I thought it was cheap until I called the maker to inquire about the rod history and casually asked whether the cap was original. The man who actually hand made the rod was still employed, so they put him on the phone - he told me for several years customers preferred the plastic caps.

You could infer the period as before the metal hoods came back into favor - probably around the time of the Super-Takumar introduction. That could possibly make a 49mm thread plastic hood a transition hood to the metal 49mm hoods (given that the 46mm Asahi Optical Co. engraved hood that fits my Auto-Tak 55/1.8 is plastic). The Super-Tak 50/1.4 w/ 49mm thread filter ring was introduced in 1965 - right around the emergence of plastic as a premium material.

Of course, if you have $471.45 just laying around, there are two excellent copies of van Oosten available at Amazon.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-24-2009 at 08:33 PM.