Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Part of the problem is that rather than turn in SDM failures to Pentax immediately, the lenses are returned to dealers to be resold to someone else. The store should be obligated to return the lens for fixing if there are optical or functional problems with it, not wait for someone else and then hope they don't notice in the return window period.
If a retailer gives a refund on a defective product, that product should be sent back to the distributor for refurbishing.
A retailer that knowingly sells a broken product is committing fraud.

01-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #107
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
You gettin' this Oggy???

(And for our white k-m owners )

Er, on ballance ----No.

I have no idea what people are doing to break these lenses, all I can say is that obviously I do not do it as I haven't had a problem, nor has anyone else I know.

Sorry I cannot be bothered to postany random pictures in an effort to re-inforce my point.
01-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #108
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
I have no idea what people are doing to break these lenses, all I can say is that obviously I do not do it
Have you taken them out of the box yet?
01-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #109
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
So shall we have them give us daily, weekly or monthly updates?

What you say makes no difference to the current perception. I suspect that the apologists actually achieve the opposite of what they set out to do when they make comments like the one you have just made because they draw attention to the manufacturers silence on the matter and also by prolonging the discussion. It wouldn't matter how many people posted to say their lens hasn't had problems...YET, I doubt if it would change the minds of those who have said they won't buy an SDM lens for the reasons given. It certainly won't stop people talking about the failures and I'm pretty sure we haven't heard about the last failure.

BTW your sig draws more attention to the problem than anything we are saying.

No schedule, just "at ramdom"as those who have had a failure do.

If everyone who had an SDM lens posted to say whether they had had a problem or not then we might find out if there really is a problem. As it is we simply hear from the vocal minority.

Do we know if these lenses have been abused?

Do we know if there are any other common factors bteween these failures?

Why use your brain when your prejudices are still in working order.

Now - about Salem---

01-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #110
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
As it is we simply hear from the vocal minority.

Can we see your statistics that back up this claim of a vocal minority or is it as fictitious as you claim the SDM problem to be?

Just to put your denial of the SDM problem in a historical perspective. King Canute's encounter with the waves is said to have occurred in West Sussex.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-30-2010 at 06:25 PM.
01-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
But Class A, doesn't the red part of your sentence suggest an answer to the blue part?
I think you somewhat read over one key word in the red part which is "apparently".

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Why can't Pentax say the same thing?
Here it is again, the assumption that there is a major problem and Pentax is just covering it up. We just cannot be certain this and I'm pretty sure the numbers of failure reports are below statistical significance.

This has, of course, nothing to do with any lack of empathy for anyone who had an SDM failure.

Last edited by Class A; 01-30-2010 at 07:45 PM.
01-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #112
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This has, of course, nothing to do with any lack of empathy for anyone who had an SDM failure.
I admire your diplomacy.

01-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well that just gives me warm fuzzies all over.
01-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Have you taken them out of the box yet?
Or, has anyone actually seen his collection of DA* lenses together in the same place/picture? I mean why keep a $60 kit lens with all the other great gear? Not as a backup when the 16-50 SDM smokes the motor...right?

"Not" trying to fan any flames or anything mind you...just joining in the silliness of something nobody can say is real or imagined. Same as with anything else, unless there are pictures it's not true or did not ever happen.
01-31-2010, 03:17 AM   #115
juu
Veteran Member

Here it is again, the assumption that there is a major problem and Pentax is just covering it up. We just cannot be certain this and I'm pretty sure the numbers of failure reports are below statistical significance.
OK, Class A, you ignored my question previously, I am asking you again:

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
I'd be convinced if we had access to data showing that the reliability of SDM is worse than that of USM/HSM.
How would you suggest to get access to the data that would show whether SDM reliability is worse than USM/HSM?
Please respond.
02-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #116
Pentaxian

How would you suggest to get access to the data that would show whether SDM reliability is worse than USM/HSM?
I have no suggestion, sorry.
02-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #117

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, Class A, you ignored my question previously, I am asking you again:

Please respond.
I was not terribly surprised you did not get an answer and I believe that you asked... full in the knowledge that there is no ability to get "access to the data". (I assume nobody has internal, reliable pentax contacts)

Fact of the matter is... and always will be... internet forums talking of issues will act as a magnet to others with similar issues... there is no way to get unbiased data... and there is no way for us to know "how-biased" is the data we see here.... and lets face it, Pentax will not disclose any data to assist here.

What is a fact however is that these threads serve as discouragement from potential buyers from purchasing SDM lenses, as such, some/any movement from Pentaxes part will help (e.g. extended warrantys).
02-04-2010, 04:20 AM   #118
juu
Veteran Member

I have no suggestion, sorry.
Well, but in this case the situation becomes quite bizarre.

The only way you would be convinced that there is a problem is if you get the reliability data. But there isn't any way to get that data.

You put the burden of proof on us fully well knowing it is an impossible task.

That is like someone in the 15th century claiming that the only way he would believe the earth is round is if he'd see photographs of it from space.
02-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know if this will add anything, but I got a call from my local shop yesterday regarding my dead 60-250. The parts are on back order from Japan and they are expecting a 4-6 week wait for the components required to fix my lens.
My thought is that they are having enough failures to have created a supply chain problem within their repair departments.
02-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulelescoces Quote
I was not terribly surprised you did not get an answer and I believe that you asked... full in the knowledge that there is no ability to get "access to the data". (I assume nobody has internal, reliable pentax contacts)

Fact of the matter is... and always will be... internet forums talking of issues will act as a magnet to others with similar issues... there is no way to get unbiased data... and there is no way for us to know "how-biased" is the data we see here.... and lets face it, Pentax will not disclose any data to assist here.

What is a fact however is that these threads serve as discouragement from potential buyers from purchasing SDM lenses, as such, some/any movement from Pentaxes part will help (e.g. extended warrantys).
don't worry, when the time comes that Pentax decides to do something about this and fix this issue, Pentax will bring back the confidence in the Pentax product, and people would start threads regarding the new and hopefully improved system and promote the product to others. good deeds don't come unrewarded. nor bad deeds are simply ignored. you sew what you reaped.