Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really don't understand why Pentax went with SDM. The only "advantage" I can think of is that it is silent. By all accounts, it is not faster than screw-driven AF - in fact, it is generally slower in my experience.

It is too bad that Pentaxians are "forced" into SDM for the DA* lenses. The DA*16-50 and 50-135 may well be stellar optically, but there is no way I would buy either of them with the current SDM incarnation (and that's without considering the reports of failure - I'm not paying extra to get a slower-focusing lens, however silent it may be).

I really hope Pentax steps backs and either stops deploying SDM to new lenses, or comes up with a new implementation that has tangible advantages over screw-drive and is reliable.

12-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see how Pentax can continue to ignore this issue. The price increases last spring put the hold on a couple of lens purchases I was looking at and right now I'm feeling maybe it was a good thing as one of the lenses I wanted was the 17-70. I feel relieved. No matter how sharp the lens is, an AF lens is worthless if the AF is unreliable and likely to fail. I can buy a just as sharp manual lens for 1/4 the price.
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I really don't understand why Pentax went with SDM. The only "advantage" I can think of is that it is silent. By all accounts, it is not faster than screw-driven AF - in fact, it is generally slower in my experience.

I really hope Pentax steps backs and either stops deploying SDM to new lenses, or comes up with a new implementation that has tangible advantages over screw-drive and is reliable.
I agree. SDM is definitely slower, and the only advantage is that it is quiet. As I have said before, I think the SDM was a "me too" product. If they hadn't come out with lens motors, reviewers would lament "how Pentax is behind in technology because they don't have hyper-super-ultra sonic lens motors."

Pentax Limited lenses are the best built lenses I have ever used, and not once in my life have I ever heard anyone comment on their sound. I wish the DA*'s were built like Limiteds. They sure are priced like them!
12-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I still find it truly amazing that Pentax is not publicly acknowledging anything regarding SDM failures. If it is truly as rare as they say it is, then they should have no problem stepping up for the "few" people that have had failures and reparing or replacing the SDM motors at no cost, no questions asked. If it is as pervasive as has frankly become all too apparent, then they should step up and fix what is clearly a manufacturing defect, again at no cost, no questions asked.

I have two Tamron zooms (17-50 and 28-75), several DA limiteds, and other lenses, and I've never had any issue with any of them where they simply would not focus. Now my 50-135 on the other hand, which has simply amazing IQ I might add, works on the first try after mounting about 50% of the time. Removing it and mounting it again, or cleaning the contacts, or whatever else I may try to get it going again, often works, but why should this expensive and stellar lens only work properly 50% of the time (separate from the slower SDM focusing in general).

And having bought it used, and it clearly being out of warranty by now, I'd have to pay several hundred dollars to get it fixed. That is just silly. Oh well, we'll see what happens, but this is still perplexing behavior from Pentax. Many of us are very loyal to the brand.

12-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #65
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Many of us are very loyal to the brand.
Or blissfully brainwashed.

To me the DA*s are not enough of a reason to ditch the brand as a whole. There's so much else going good in Pentax - even if for the Limited series alone.
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My statement sent to them a few weeks ago:
If you uploaded that as a petition to PetitionOnline.com - Free Online Petition Hosting I'd sign it in a heartbeat. Very well written!
01-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just saw this posted on another forum, and realized that it was copied from our forum here in this thread. We should keep a running thread count!

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I couldn't find that thread, but I did find these.

Sophie Wilson
Help! Dead DA* 50-135 SDM or dead K10D???: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
HonourableTyr
Perfect DA*16-50 Not so perfect anymore :'(: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
robt61x49
Problem w/ DA*50-135: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Rupert60
My DA*50-135 is Dead!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
paul_do
K20D+DA* 50-135mm is amazing: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Larry Paris
DA*300 Auto focus stopped working - Help!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
janneman02
SDM issue????: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Dale108
DA* 50-135 SDM Failure: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Eric C in OK
Re: SDM issue????: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
LKeithR
Another Failing 50-135: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
psu28k
50-135 SDM woes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Reg Quiring
DA* 50-135 SDM Failed- Other Canucks?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
rogerstpierre
SDM Problems...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
inferno10
Help Ned! Replacement 16-50 has to go back after just receiving it!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
faither
Another Dead SDM in My DA* 50-135: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Jim King
Finally experienced an SDM failure...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Neil Morgan
yes - 16-50 (sometimes) , 50-135 - no: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
dick eduard
16-50 sometimes-; 50-135 - no; 60-250 no: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
shane gerrish
16-50 yes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Zevon
16-50 Yes 60-250 No: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
mnovikov
50-135 no, 16-50 yes (fixed) n/t: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
hanssont
200-yes 300-no 60-250 no 16-50 no 50-135 no 55 no: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Cideway
16-50 (2yrs) No, 50-135 (1.5yrs) yes, 60-250 (3mths) No: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
ropen
0.5 out of 4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
HotJapaneseCamera
Yes, 16-50 (2nd ex.) No, 50-135: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Mike V99
16-50 YES, 50-135 No (as in Not Yet): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
sinus007
16-50 - yes, 50-135 - no [nt]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Joseph Tainter
Yes--16-50: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
JoeLim
Yes, 16-50 (9 months) & 50-135 (6 months). 300 (3 months) No: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
PentaxPoke
Yes 16-50: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Paul_E
16-50 x 2, no SDM failure; 50-135, yes; DA*300, no failure.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Lance
Re: My 17-70 SDM Died :( ... has come back to life !!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
gerard boulanger
Got a repair estimate for my 3 faulty SDM lenses ....: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
flash1100
Took the DA17-70 in today...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
AndresEE
50-135: 2 x YES: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
A Schamber
One... out of two.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
DarylK
Second 50-135 failed: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
AlbertSiegel
Re: Second 50-135 failed: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
John Shakespeare
Mine died also, but within warranty...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
RobertBarnett
Re: DA*16-50 problem: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
WildSammy
Re: DA*16-50 problem too!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
picsbydan
Re: 50-135 SDM woes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Paul_E
Re: 50-135 SDM woes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
roxalo
Re: How much was the fee if you don't mind me asking?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Anilla
DA 16-50 SDM problems: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
ZorKa
My lens has the same problem...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
magicone
New DA*50-135 won't focus w/K10 or K20: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Pakhead
Re: More experience with SDM problems: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
FranckB
17-70: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Moosemilk
8 problematic lenses reported in this thread so far.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thank you
Russell

01-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #68

Pentaxpoke, whats the value in resurrecting another Anti-SDM post.... on the front page of the Lens discussion forum there are already 3 others.
I do realise the others were initiated by other users but it almost looks as if you are purposfully juggling to have all these threads (you are involved in them all... even thought you started this one) at the top of the list... create mass hysteria.
I am not suggesting this is not an issue currently for many users (although I and others dont have any issues... yet), however having multiple running threads (with typically the same group of people commenting on each) leads to the hysteria....
01-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulelescoces Quote
Pentaxpoke, whats the value in resurrecting another Anti-SDM post.... on the front page of the Lens discussion forum there are already 3 others.
I do realise the others were initiated by other users but it almost looks as if you are purposfully juggling to have all these threads (you are involved in them all... even thought you started this one) at the top of the list... create mass hysteria.
I am not suggesting this is not an issue currently for many users (although I and others dont have any issues... yet), however having multiple running threads (with typically the same group of people commenting on each) leads to the hysteria....
all who have experienced SDM failures are involved in such threads because they are the ones who have experienced such case which would confirm that there really is a problem. otherwise it would be pointless if most, if not all people that don't have experienced any problem participated in such thread and could easily be dismissed as a rumour.

IMO, such threads are worth the trouble since this isn't just a rumour. besides, such threads are also helpful in making the newbies or people who haven't tried the SDM zooms aware of such problems. this is not a hatchet job, but a way of preventing the uninitiated of undergoing such trouble and also a way to get Pentax's attention that there are people that are unhappy with their "premium grade lenses" that cannot be simply ignored.

if such threads leads to a mass hysteria, then the blame should be on Pentax since they are the ones who created such unsatisfaction or problems in the first place.

you can't blame a Mcdonald's customer for complaining about his rotten meal. honestly, Pentax insensitive reply made the situation much worse by playing dumb and innocent.
01-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paul,
You are free to ignore my posts. I am not forcing you to read anything. We come to forums to learn, and to talk about what is important to us. I try to make the titles of my threads very clear and easy to quickly interpret so that people who are interested will click, and people who are not, will ignore. I have participated in the SDM threads because they are of interest to me. I have also participated in many other threads. I suggest that you may find your forum time more enjoyable, if you focus on the topics that are of interest to you.
01-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #71
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's up to the reader to keep a level head about what's posted in fora, Paul.
You must realise that fora are where every minute detail about issues are scrutinised, commonly to the point of exaggeration or pedantry. People must be responsible enough to react appropriately to what they read.

This anti-SDM sentiment (if you wish to call it that) is very real, though, not just overreaction, and will only get worse if Pentax avoids acknowledging that all these failures are not a significant issue. What the list of threads CAN do, though, is provide some (albeit unverified) evidence to attest that SDM failures are disproportionately common and a major concern to the potential customer.

But hey, I have an SDM lens myself and I'm pleased with it (apart from it being a bit of a slouch) - so why would someone like me pick a bone with Pentax? Well, it's not about me. It's about seeing a prevalent problem sorted out both for the benefit of the consumer as well as the company.
01-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #72
Pentaxian

While I see all the points made in response to Paul's post, I'd like to state that he has a point. He simply asked whether it is justified to create an SDM hysteria, if that was the intention of resurrecting an old thread. Telling Paul to read other posts misses this point.

A hysteria is characterised by an disproportional reaction. If someone actively tried to keep the anti-SDM fire burning (I'm not claiming anyone does), that could well be a disproportional reaction to some SDM failure reports.

I personally became a lot more wary about ever touching a current generation SDM zoom because of all the SDM threads. Whether that's a good thing, justified, or an irrational reaction, I don't know.

The worst thing, after the failures to users just out of the warranty period, is really the lack of response we're getting from officials. And if we get one (like the one Ash quoted) then it says something along the lines of "I respect pentaxforums..." to then continue with statements that show that there is no respect at all.

Last edited by Class A; 01-23-2010 at 08:16 PM.
01-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry about that. The only reason I "resurrected" this thread is that I noticed someone posted Russel's list on another forum. Russell's list came from this thread. I didn't think that posting that was fomenting hysteria. I also don't believe it is a disproportionate response.

I think a disproportionate response would be to do something silly like sue Pentax for all of the shipping charges I am out because I had to send 5 lenses back.
01-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
While I see all the points made in response to Paul's post, I'd like to state that he has a point. He simply asked whether it is justified to create an SDM hysteria,
Is the concern over creating hysteria valid or is this just another way to try to tell people to shut up?

Thank you
Russell
01-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Its not hysteria ??? if youre the one stuck with a faulty lens.