Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #1

Pentax 16-45, Sigma 17-70, or Sigma 18-125?

Which of these will perform best with my K10D?

I currently have a pentax FA 1.4, Pentax 100mm 2.8 macro, Sigma 70-300. Looking for one more to round out the collection. I like the idea of the wider angle on the pentax, but the zoom coverage appeals to me with the sigmas.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

11-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kierra, most important question is what do you intend to use the wide-normal zoom for?
All your suggested zooms will perform just fine on the K10D.

I personally care much less for zoom range than I do for image quality and 'pop', which to me the Pentax does better in compared to the other two.

You may find that a bigger zoom range to avoid having to switch lenses a plus for you. But considering you already have a fine set of 50 and 100mm primes, I'd be more inclined on either a Pentax 16-45 or Tamron 17-50. Better images, and you still have a very good place for your quality primes.
11-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Ash, for the quick response. I hadn't thought of the Tamron, nor realized the IQ is better.

Mostly, the wide-normal will be used for a lot of kid potraiture of my two children--indoor and outdoor. The zoom range is handy since they are so quick and like to be close to mom. Plus, occasional landscapes, architecture and pet photography, for which I prefer a super wide...
11-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK then.
For your kids, you may find too wide an angle causing distortion and a less pleasing result.
This is why I'd go with your FA 50/1.4 for the kids, if they can cooperate to play candidly a few meters away from you shooting.

From what you said about your kids wanting to hang around you, I envisaged you trying to shoot them standing up with a wide angle lens as they're hugging your legs/biting your ankles, but this to me is not the way to go.

So if 17mm is wide enough for you, you might be impressed with the Tamron. Any wider than 16mm, and you're looking at a more expensive ultra wide like the DA 12-24.

11-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma 17-70 is regarded as one of the best "carry-around" lenses ever. Decent macro enlargment, great sharpness and colours, nice range, sufficiently fast. I own one and love it. It's the lens that stays on my camera. The 16-45 is very good but more limited in features, the 18-125 is below the others regarding IQ.