Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #1

what next?

ok to satisfy my LBA i'm already trying to descide on my next lens

what i've got...

i've got the 2 Wr kit lens for my k7 so thats 18-55 and 50-200mm

now i quite like 50-200 got some nice sharp images from it but the 18-50 is abit soft for my tastes

to that i have a:

sigma 24mm f2.8 - nice sharp lens was my wide angle in old 35mm days.

pentax-a 50mm f1.4 - another sharp lens.

tamron 90mm f2.8 macro - another very nice piece of glass.

sigma 150-500mm f5.6-6.3 HSM - long lens and frankly the weather has turned horrible since i got it making getting enough light for wildlife photography difficult during the scottish winter.

and lastly

pentax fa 80-320 - this was my first zoom from 35mm days and is abit soft wide open and dont really use it much since i prefer the 50-200mm and if i want the extra reach i now have the 150-500mm

now all my lens so far are full frame except the kit lenses so feel that i would keep that trend up incase pentax release a ff camera so brings me to what next

i'm thinking something 35mm prime ish - the 31mm limited would be very very nice but i feel that it could be abit short for a portrait lens and while the da 35mm macro has been tested on ff and seems okish it is limited by very slow autofocus since no limit switch

also tempted by something like the da*16-50mm but then its not a ff lens but the range is very handy from pretty wide to 50mm

now i shoot everything form landscapes to portraits to wildlife - i'm not bothered about using manual focus lenses but i do like auto aperture so what you think i should get next?

11-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there.
You seem to be putting all your eggs in the FF basket and basing all your current decisions on that.
Any particular reason for this? What if Pentax avoids going FF in the next few years?
IMO, you may as well go with what works for you here and now, on APS-C, since that's what you're shooting with now, and a FF lens on an APS-C camera gives quite different results.

It's also not all that clear what exactly you were after as you mentioned wanting a portrait lens and then say that you shoot everything. With that in mind, and looking for a prime around 35mm, with a budget of what? $800? (considering you mentioned the 31 ltd), then I personally wouldn't hesitate on the 31 ltd for portraiture on your K-7.

Don't know if the DA* 55 is FF or not, but if you're hell-bent on FF, and the 55 fits the bill, then that would be my next suggestion. The DA 40 ltd may not be FF, but it is an excellent, sharp mid-normal lens.

Not many current options in your FF requirements...
11-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
well the full frame thing - yeah i can see the point in getting lens that work for what i am shooting now - just dont want to get into the posisiton of facing buying a new camera that will render all my glass obsolete -might never happen but if i can fullfill my addiction while remaining ff compatible then that would be a plus

i do shoot everything but i have a reasonble coverage so its really down to wide angle or fisheye, 35mm prime or a zoom like the da* 16-50mm

just asking for advice on what would be my best investment at this point and more importantly what would give me the most enjoyment