Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Dom

Super paragon lenses want stop down on K20D

Just picked up two super paragon lenses from the local camera shop, they were selling them really cheap (also feeds my LBA). Anyhow I can't get them to stop down, they work fine on my P50 film camera but they don't stop down on my K20D.

The lenses are:
Super paragon PMC II auto tele zoom 1:5.6, 75-300 mm.
Super paragon PMC auto tele zoom 1:4.5, 80-200 mm.

My K20D is set to allow aperture ring. I can fire the camera but the lenses aren't stopping down.

I've got a few ideas to work round the problem but there not idea, I'm hoping that someone has already solved this problem and I've just not found the answer yet.

All help with my problem is gratefully received.

I'm off to take some rude photos of my new lenses.

11-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are thes screw mount? Older lenses like this have to be stopped down manually.
11-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Are thes screw mount? Older lenses like this have to be stopped down manually.
No, there Pentax K. On both cameras I've set the aperture ring to f32 and hit the DOF preview (the K20D is set to optical preview, before anyone asks). On the P50 the aperture closes all the way, on the K20D nothing not a thing from the lens. I can hear the camera moving it's little lever inside and have checked it working.
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you in M mode on the camera?
Are the lenses A-lens equivalents (ie. do they have an auto aperture setting on the aperture rings)? If not, they're M lenses and need to be stopped down manually, then in M mode on the camera stop-down meter with the green button (as you've mentioned) and release the shutter.
Should work then.

11-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Did you enable manual aperture on the K20D? It is set to "off" by default.

Steve
11-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Are you in M mode on the camera?
Are the lenses A-lens equivalents (ie. do they have an auto aperture setting on the aperture rings)? If not, they're M lenses and need to be stopped down manually, then in M mode on the camera stop-down meter with the green button (as you've mentioned) and release the shutter.
Should work then.
They are 'M' lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you enable manual aperture on the K20D? It is set to "off" by default.

Steve
The camera is set to allow aperture ring.
11-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Then you will need to be in M mode on the camera for it to stop-down meter and shoot stopped down. The issue of the crippled K-mount using M lenses...
11-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Then you will need to be in M mode on the camera for it to stop-down meter and shoot stopped down. The issue of the crippled K-mount using M lenses...
That would appear to do the trick.