Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 31mm f/1.8 versus FA 35mm /f2 - That old debate again

So, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the FA 31mm, before the price went sky-high, and it arrived two days ago. Please don't congratulate me, but pity me for being poorer! The irony is, I haven't had a chance to go out and shoot in daylight - the weather has been cloudy, and hopefully will open up over the weekend. So it remains in the box, just like FA 35mm which I plan to keep in box until I decide to keep it or not.

In any case, I did some research before I bought the 31mm, and most of what I read were around bokeh, etc. I was wondering if anyone has objective opinion, having owned both lenses, on the following:

I will use the lens for mostly the following:
- Fashion shoots, indoors or outdoors
- Food photography - a pastime, nothing serious
- Indoor events (not parties, but more like dinners, banquets)
- Weddings (maybe)
- Cityscapes, and perhaps nightscapes with tripod

This said, do you see where 31mm would excel greatly? Especially where there might be some commercial interest (Weddings, fashion), and where this lens would provide an "edge"?

I have read several threads about the comparisons, but they were mostly technical, and probably didn't specific scenarios where the lenses might be used.

I realize that this debate might be oft-repeated, so feel free to provide any links that already might exist. Pictures for comparison are also welcome!

Thank you in advance!

11-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's a thought. I realize this is pretty off the wall, but it just might be crazy enough to work:
Since you actually have both of these lenses in your possession, how about, and here's the crazy part, how about taking some pictures with both of them and judging for yourself. Pretty radical, huh?
11-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Damn, why didn't I think about this! Thanks for the draino for the brain The only reason I didn't do it, is because I felt guilty returning a lens I had used. But then, I will if there is no loophole!
11-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad you took that in the spirit in which it was intended.

Seriously, there is no way I would ever rely somebody else's subjective opinion, regardless of how much respect I had for it, if I had the ability to actually see and judge for myself. There are just too many "matter of taste" issues when it comes to judging actual street performance of a lens.

I have never used the FA 35, but I do have the 31. I have never taken a single picture that I thought in any conceivable way could have been made better by a lens with different characteristics.
Better skill on my part, now that's a whole other matter.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-25-2009 at 10:25 AM.
11-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm glad you took that in the spirit in which it was intended.

Seriously, there is no way I would ever rely somebody else's subjective opinion, regardless of how much respect I had for it, if I had the ability to actually see and judge for myself. There are just too many "matter of taste" issues when it comes to judging actual street performance of a lens.

Agreed with above, If you're lucky enough to have both, try both in the same type of situations and decide which one you like better. Then sell me your FA 35 for $245.

11-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Agreed with above, If you're lucky enough to have both, try both in the same type of situations and decide which one you like better. Then sell me your FA 35 for $245.

good one

Neil
11-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

jsherman, you haven't tried or even owned an FA35? I find that unbelievable !
11-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I can't compare the FA35 directly to the FA31 since the FA31 is way above my pay grade, but I did own the FA35 for three years (and will again next week) and it's a really great, fast, compact lens. Even better when it was <$300 new.

I made the mistake of getting rid of mine in favor of buying a DA35 a few weeks ago (which is also really nice lens for what it's worth). Then after shooting with my FA50 in a tight indoor location last weekend where I didn't want to use a flash, I decided that I needed the FA35 back in my bag and spent the last couple days trying to find another FA35 (and was finally successful tonight, thanks KEH).

11-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
jsherman, you haven't tried or even owned an FA35? I find that unbelievable !
Oh, I've owned both those lenses (31 & FA 35) and stupidly sold my FA 35 earlier this year. So I'm dumb.
11-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Oh, I've owned both those lenses (31 & FA 35) and stupidly sold my FA 35 earlier this year. So I'm dumb.
and i passed it on to Andi if it makes you feel any better
the FA31 has nicer boker, not as hard ringed. that was the one thing i noticed. all of the other comparisons i can think of aren't really about IQ. the 35 has the cheaper plastic build, the 35 has a nice petal hood, the 31 a fixed hood that leaks light in from the side. the 35 is much smaller and lighter, the 31 is larger and unusually (for pentax) uses 58mm filters.
11-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have wanted a fast "normal" lens ever since I got a DSLR. I looked at the 31, but the price was too much for me. I tried some cheaper 35mm lenes, most notably a Pentax M 35mm f2.0. Maybe it's me, but before I could get it focused, my little grandson would move on and I would miss the shot. Yes, I know I could use flash and stop it down for more DOF, but I wanted that available light "look". I just got the FA 35mm from the "bay". At only one third the price of a 31, I still think it was expensive. I will see how the AF lens performs today.
GP
11-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't think you can go wrong with etiher. I have the FA35 and my god its sharp and contrasty. I could only imagine the FA31LTD to be better in all respects. So I think what you'll have to consider is how much room you got at the bank to spare haha.
11-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Forgive this question, as I'm sure it's just a matter of footwork and I'm too lazy after my Thanksgiving meal: How optically different are the FA31 and the FA35? Sounds like the 31 has more blades, but how about the optics?

I'm considering selling my new FA35 f2 (I think it was the last one BH had) and several other body parts to get into a FA31 ... before the 31 goes the way of the dodo as well.

Thanks in advance,
germar
11-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Forgive this question, as I'm sure it's just a matter of footwork and I'm too lazy after my Thanksgiving meal: How optically different are the FA31 and the FA35? Sounds like the 31 has more blades, but how about the optics?

I'm considering selling my new FA35 f2 (I think it was the last one BH had) and several other body parts to get into a FA31 ... before the 31 goes the way of the dodo as well.

Thanks in advance,
germar
I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon....

BR
Peter
11-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter

To answer my own question...

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
To answer my own question, it seems they are completely different optically:

FA 31: 9 elements, 7 groups, 9 blades

FA 35: 6 elements, 5 groups, 6 blades

(from the forum's lens review database)

So while their subjective performance may be similar in some respects, these two lenses seem NOT to be closely related.

regards,

germar