Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

You really didnt say what you were taking shots of when you were having this problem. The only time I had this problem was when I was trying to take close ups of a flower or an insect with the aperature wide open. I was holding the camera and as I was pressing the shutter, my body would move/sway and move the camera out of focus but it would take the shot anyway. I solved my problem with a tripod. I dont know if this is what you were refering to however.

06-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
MF/AF switch only impacts if I have a AF lens mounted.
06-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #18

Original Poster
The picture is about 30-40' away (just inside infinity), using an aperature of 1.9 - 2.5, low light situation. I should have about 3 - 4 feet of DOF to work with.

Anywho, the focus trap is what I'm trying to do but it isn't working (haven't tried the aluminum foil trick yet).

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
06-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
thats something wrong...

unless the M42 behave differently than M lenses, or there is some issue with the M42dapter...???

My K100D with M lenses, af.s selected, AF/MF switch set to AF, blocks the shutter until the camera detects focus.

you arent doing anything swrong that I can think of. you did try P,M and green modes??

sorry, I am stumped. it should work. try cleaning the contacts on the lens adapter and the camera mount? dont know why that would help or hurt though....

06-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #20
Inactive Account

And that is why you have to try the method I described earlier.

Lol - This thread is getting a bit crazy: Nothing works and we see no picture of your adapter with a "small flange". If the camera mount contacts are covered with something that shortens them out it should either work or your camera is broken. Now what is it?

(I mention the adapter as a "small flange" adapter isn't a common adapter. The original (and the good third party ones) adapters have no flange at all. Adapters with flange may be made of a material not shortening the contacts, or they do shorten them. In both cases the flange will make your lenses unusable for normal shooting as they prohibit focusing to infinity.)
06-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #21

Original Poster
Yes, this thread is getting nutty, but I do appreciate all the tips.

I haven't had a chance to try the aluminum trick.

This is the adapter I have:
General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter

This is the lens I have:
Die Cast Pro - Super Takumar 85mm f/1.9 Index
06-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Then you have an adapter which in generalis said to have no flange (meaning the whole of the adapter is flush in line with the camera lens mount. That's good.

And you have a lens which is black. Painted steel or anodized aluminium? In any case it probably doesn't make any electric contact to the lens mount. Compare that to standard Pentax K and M lenses and you'll understand why the alu folie trick is worth a try.

06-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All you have to do is set the AF/MF switch to AF and then your camera will not release the shutter until you get focus confirmation (i.e. the camera "thinks" it is focused).

No need to short out contacts. Also, I usually use AF-S, but I don't think that has a bearing either. Just flip the little switch on the body and you should be good to go.
06-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
alu folie trick is worth a try
Yes, tonight I will.
06-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #25

Original Poster
Aluminum foil did the trick! It appears the black pain on the bottom side of the lens is preventing the shorting (or whatever) of the contact points.

Anyone see any reason that I couldn't lightly sand the paint off the lens, so it makes contact? Kinda cheesy to have aluminum foil hanging out of a DSLR.

I will also set up the camera on tripod to see if its the focus problem or a user problem. Probably user.

Thanks for all the tips!
06-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #26

Original Poster
Focusing Problem Solved!

Thanks to all who gave tips, etc. on how to get "focus trap" working on my old SMC 1.9 85 MM.

I found another solution today:
Attached Images

06-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Thanks to all who gave tips, etc. on how to get "focus trap" working on my old SMC 1.9 85 MM.

I found another solution today:
Ok, good you got it working finally. The only reason not to shave off some black color from the lens flange has to do with the reselling value of the lens.

Lol - Buying an FA77 is another way of course... Not very cheapo and it doesn't do any focus trap easily.