Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Photos: Albums
Posts: 100
No picture unless in focus?

Okay, I know this is probably a stretch, but worth an ask.

I am using a 85mm 1.9 M42 Takumar lens.

The focus indicator works with this camera (amazingly). The lens though, has a very shallow depth of field, and am usually missing the focus.

Is there a way the camera won't release the shutter unless the object is in focus?

06-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 330
if I understand your double negative...

Change to AFC in the setup menu.
06-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 212
Set the AF/MF switch to AF. Manual focus lenses will work as always, but the shutter will not release unless the camera achieves a focus lock.
06-10-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,618
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
if I understand your double negative...

Change to AFC in the setup menu.
Confusing, but...

It actually has to be AFS. AFC allows continuous shooting even if the subject is out of focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Set the AF/MF switch to AF. Manual focus lenses will work as always, but the shutter will not release unless the camera achieves a focus lock.
If you have a K10D or a *ist D, there will be a switch with all 3 settings (AFS, AFC, MF). All other Pentax DSLRs have the AF type as a menu option.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Photos: Albums
Posts: 100
Original Poster
Confused

k100 is what I have (sorry I should have posted that in my original post)

I have AFS in the menu and AFC, and then I have the AF/MF swich on the front of the camera.

I have treid AFS in the menu with the switch in AF mode and MF mode via the switch. Both let me take pictures when the image is out of focus - I have proof :-(
06-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Posts: 810
QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
k100 is what I have (sorry I should have posted that in my original post)

I have AFS in the menu and AFC, and then I have the AF/MF swich on the front of the camera.

I have treid AFS in the menu with the switch in AF mode and MF mode via the switch. Both let me take pictures when the image is out of focus - I have proof :-(
Sound strange. If the K100D works like the other models this shouldn't happen with the camera set to Af and AF-S. Now the focus confirmation light (allows for the picture to be taken) isn't that precise. Maybe you have to do some focus training?
Or: Is the lens really bad? Or: Are you confusing a shallow depth of field (DOF) with "out of focus"? Set the camera to a tripod or at something steady. Aim it at something with a pattern on it and angled about 45 degrees to the sensor plane. Focus and take a picture making sure you get no camera shake. Is the picture sharp anywhere at all? Experiment a little and try to see in the viewfinder what that is in focus and what the picture looks like.
06-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,618
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Or: Are you confusing a shallow depth of field (DOF) with "out of focus"? Set the camera to a tripod or at something steady. Aim it at something with a pattern on it and angled about 45 degrees to the sensor plane. Focus and take a picture making sure you get no camera shake. Is the picture sharp anywhere at all? Experiment a little and try to see in the viewfinder what that is in focus and what the picture looks like.
Exactly- even if the lens is in focus, your photo may be blurred due to low light, shaking, slow shutter speed, wide aperture, or any combination of these. The camera doesn't know the outcome of the photo until after it is taken, and thus you cannot guarantee that all photos will be sharp!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
roy
Inactive Account
roy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: D/FW area, Tx.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,712
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Set the AF/MF switch to AF. Manual focus lenses will work as always, but the shutter will not release unless the camera achieves a focus lock.
right on the money.
it's called-- focus trap..

06-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Photos: Albums
Posts: 100
Original Poster
I'll try the suggestions, but not sure how they apply to my original question that started this thread:

Can I set the camera so it won't let me take a picture unless the camera thinks the image is in focus.

I am using an M42 mount lens, not a AF lens.

Thanks again!
06-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,618
QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
I'll try the suggestions, but not sure how they apply to my original question that started this thread:

Can I set the camera so it won't let me take a picture unless the camera thinks the image is in focus.

I am using an M42 mount lens, not a AF lens.

Thanks again!
The lens type doesn't matter- setting your K100 to AF.S should to the trick!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Photos: Albums
Posts: 100
Original Poster
My setup:

M42 Super Takumar 85MM 1.9 lens with a adapter to mount it on Pentax k100D

AFS is set
AF Button (on side of camera is set)
I manually focus out of focus, and I can shoot all day with pictures out of focus - completely out of focus. No focus trap going on here.

Now, inside the viewfinder, at the bottom, it indicates MF in green, regardless what position the dial is set (P, TV, AV, M)

What am I doing wrong?
06-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Posts: 810
QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
My setup:

M42 Super Takumar 85MM 1.9 lens with a adapter to mount it on Pentax k100D

AFS is set
AF Button (on side of camera is set)
I manually focus out of focus, and I can shoot all day with pictures out of focus - completely out of focus. No focus trap going on here.

Now, inside the viewfinder, at the bottom, it indicates MF in green, regardless what position the dial is set (P, TV, AV, M)

What am I doing wrong?
That's a tricky one. It really should work. The only thing I come to think of is this: Does the lens cover the electric contacts on the lens mount? Maybe they don't and then you have to fix this:
Cut yourself a piece of aluminimum foil, suitably shaped, attach the lens placing the foil at the contacts on the camera. Now it should work.

2 cents,
06-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member
FotoPete's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,710
Actually you need to be in the Manual Focus setting, otherwise the camera refuses to take your photo unless you've achieved what the camera deems is focus.
06-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix
Photos: Albums
Posts: 100
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Actually you need to be in the Manual Focus setting, otherwise the camera refuses to take your photo unless you've achieved what the camera deems is focus.
That's what I am trying to achieve, but I can't me camera to work.

Yes, the lens is fully on, contacting the "dots" on the camera body. The adapter is the one that has the small flange, not the larger flange.

I'll try the aluminum.

Can someone suggest a comparable autofocus lens? I've been considering the 77 limited, but it's a chunk of $$
06-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member
FotoPete's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,710
Ok, on the side of the lens mount is the AF-MF Switch. Check that.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, focus, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focus, Focus, Focus (or the usefulness of focus charts) GoremanX Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 12-21-2014 11:49 AM
Never Take an Out-of-Focus Picture Again: Adobe’s New Plenoptic Lens Tech yusuf Photographic Technique 20 10-11-2010 03:42 AM
digital picture slabs used to help focus your camera Gooshin General Talk 1 10-29-2008 12:13 PM
Are people required to be in a picture to make it a good picture? BPT Photographic Technique 46 07-07-2008 05:44 PM
my world picture day picture little laker Post Your Photos! 8 04-09-2007 07:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top