Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

The 1.7 AF-adaper

I have to ask you guys who owns the 1.7 AF-adapter.

My K-7 set to -M mode will not stop down (to meter the aperture set on the aperture ring) with the green button when I use the adapter. Removing the adaper and hooking the very same lens on, it will. Just like it should be.

This goes for K and M lenses as well as any K mount lens when using the aperure ring.

Bottom line is; Will the adapter not allow green button stop down metering with K mount lenses?

Thanks,

Mats

11-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what lens are you using and can you describe exactly the sequence you use.

the adaptor if working correctly works just fine on the K7.

I use it all the time with my smc 300F4 on my K7.

Note that the stop down period is pretty quick

also have you set use aperture ring?

are yoy thinking the camera can control the lens aperture through the adapter? because it cant

no offence intended in asking these questions but the adaptor works great, I have used mine successfully for about 17 years on my PZ-1, *istrD, K10D and K7D.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 11-27-2009 at 04:01 PM.
11-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No worries Lowell. I need answers here. Thanks for your time.

You obviously didn´t read my first post thoughtfully, but here goes:

-Lens K50/1.2 (or any of my K lenses or A, F or FA lenses using the aperture ring, ring not set to -A)
-M-mode
-"Using aperure ring" (37) - Permitted (2)
-"Green button in TAv and M" (28) - Tv shift (2)

Problem; The green button will stop down the specific lens alone to meter, but not when hooking the adapter in between.

Note; Green button stop down in M mode works with the Rear Converter -A 1.4X-S, but not with the 1.7X AF Adapter.

Quote: are yoy thinking the camera can control the lens aperture through the adapter? because it cant

Sorry, don´t follow here. The camera stops down any Pentax brand K mount lens I have (listed below) through the adapter in the exposure moment, regardless ring set to A or not. Just like the 1.4X converter.

This green button stopping down has been my standard procedure with K and M lenses since I bought the K10D three years ago and it works with the K-7 also. I think it would be the way to use K and M series lenses. But it does not work when using the 1.7X AF adapter.

As your K300/4 setup with the AF adapter works, it verifies what I suspected in the first place. That my adapter does not to work properly. That´s the reason for this thread.

Hope this will help. Thanks again,

Mats

Last edited by matsoberg; 12-02-2009 at 06:28 PM.
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #4

Hi Mats!
I've just tried my M 100mm Macro and FA 35mm 2.0 (using the aperture ring to set aperture) with the 1.7X AF adapter, and both stop down and meter perfectly well with the green button (K20D). Does the mechanical stop down lever look alright (compared with the lenses')? It's hard to realize what could be wrong with your adapter, but apparently there is. Maybe it's an easy fix, bending it back with your finger tip or pliers.

Kjell

12-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Matts

In reading your response, it almost sounds as if the aperture lever is seized on the adaptor.

Every thing you are doing is correct, and the lens should be stopping down to the preset aperture on the aperture ring, as you confirmed with the lenses alone.

Can you do a check, (since the adaptor should work properly and mine and many others have no issues with it, confirms this)

can you mount a lens on the adaptor, and set the lens to about F16 (not critical, but not wide open.

does the aperture close down? can you move the lever on the adaptor to open and close the aperture?

I suspect you have a faulty adaptor and the fault is in the aperature activation mechanism.
12-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Hi Mats!
I've just tried my M 100mm Macro and FA 35mm 2.0 (using the aperture ring to set aperture) with the 1.7X AF adapter, and both stop down and meter perfectly well with the green button (K20D). Does the mechanical stop down lever look alright (compared with the lenses')? It's hard to realize what could be wrong with your adapter, but apparently there is. Maybe it's an easy fix, bending it back with your finger tip or pliers.

Kjell
Hi Kjell.

Thanks for input. It´s defenetly something fishy with the adapter and I suspect it to be a bad contact/short-cut connection. The DOF function on the ON-OFF switch works though, which pretty much verifies it´s a communication problem.
The adapter is on it´s way to the workshop as we speak.
12-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Lowell.

Your post came up while I wrote my reply to Kjell.

Yes, I know I do it the proper way and the adapter is mechanically ok but I suspect it has a bad connection somewhere so it won´t give the camera the right electrical verification. It´s the camera that doesn´t do the stopping down, probably due to a bad connection of some sort. It´s just plain dead when pressing the button with the adapter and the lens, but not with the lens alone.

Also, see my post above to Kjell that the DOF function works. Probably because the camera doesn´t need the electrical verification for the DOF check as it needs to do the green button stop down metering.

Anyway, It´s on it´s way for repair now and I will update you on what the problem was when I get it back.
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK guys, here´s the follow up as promised. Got the AF adapter back from repair and the problem was just what I suspected. One of the contacts had a bad connection, easily fixed it seems, as the bill wasn´t too bad and the thing works like a charm.

Mats

12-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #9

Good news, but...

Good news, Mats! But in spite of the resonable bill, maybe you paid more than needed. Maybe they simply wiped the contacts.
I say this from experience. My DS had a problem with the aperture/exposure thumb wheel. Sent it in, paid SEK 2800 for exchange of the mother board, had to send it in again because it wasn't properly assembled after repair and had to wait for a total of 14 weeks before I could use it again (no, I wasn't happy but I do love my DS).
After this I learnt (from a forum discussion) that my problem would have been solved with a few drops of sensor cleaning fluid poured in just under the wheel. After this experience I always ask other users before I talk to the repair shop.

Kjell
12-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Good news, Mats! But in spite of the resonable bill, maybe you paid more than needed. Maybe they simply wiped the contacts.
I say this from experience. My DS had a problem with the aperture/exposure thumb wheel. Sent it in, paid SEK 2800 for exchange of the mother board, had to send it in again because it wasn't properly assembled after repair and had to wait for a total of 14 weeks before I could use it again (no, I wasn't happy but I do love my DS).
After this I learnt (from a forum discussion) that my problem would have been solved with a few drops of sensor cleaning fluid poured in just under the wheel. After this experience I always ask other users before I talk to the repair shop.

Kjell
Thanks for input Kjell. Sounds like you had some bad experience with the Pentax workshop. Sorry to hear that.

As for my unit, cleaning the contacts was the first thing I tried when I noticed the problem. I´m in the maintenance, service, repair business myself (although not camears) so I have knowledge in the procedure. You just don´t send stuff for repair before making sure, unless you´re asking for getting screwed. And that´s why this thread in the first place.

Mats