Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wide or Normal Lens

Hello everyone I just started using M42 lenses so far I have purchased four Super-Takumar lens 50mm f1.4, 55mm f2, 135mm f3.5, and 200mm f4 all at a very good price. I also have the kit lens. My question is I would like a wider focal length lens and I want opinions on good quality low cost option. I also would like to know how fast these lenses should be. I want to stick with older manual focus lens because that is what I can afford. Plus Im still leaning and it make me think about my shot.

Thanks,
Gary

11-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to stick with screw mount lenses lots of people around here like the various versions of the Takumar 28mm f/3.5. If you want something a little newer and faster then the SMC-A 28mm f/2.8 is reasonably common and I've seen several in the $80 to $100 range. Going wider than 28mm with older lenses tends to get expensive because they are less common and widely sought after.
11-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would also emphasize, that wide angle lenses beyond the 18mm, that your kit lens provide, are going to be either first class lenses with the according price tag (like the Pentax 15/3.5 or 16/2.8 fish-eye) or they are cheap and simply not so good. Modern wide angles are usually better in terms of IQ, because making wa lenses is anything, but easy and modern manufacturing methods decreased the cost massively.

Ben
11-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
28's are easy to come by, and I like the focal lengh a lot - a "wide normal" view that is extremely versatile. There are 28/2.8's, 28/3.5's, and if you look hard enough and don't mind spending more, 28/2's. I had an off-brand 28 (Gemini) that didn't do it for me, but all the rest I've seen have been very very nice, including the M28/2.8 I use.

I agree with others that as you get to true wide territory, there is less advantage in buying older lenses, as often they aren't as good as modern ones and cost as much if not more. But you can get the K24/2.8 for under $200 (at KEH or elsewhere). Any wider than that, though, and you'll hav a tough time finding an older lens worth buying over one of the DA lenses (14, 15, or 21).

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 11-28-2009 at 05:32 PM.
11-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Garyleed Quote
My question is I would like a wider focal length lens and I want opinions on good quality low cost option. I also would like to know how fast these lenses should be. I want to stick with older manual focus lens because that is what I can afford.
There are now several threads on this forum about the Vivitar 28mm manual lenses. Those made for k-mount by Komine or Kiron are excellent in image quality if you stop down one from the maximum aperture. The f/2 lenses can be moderately expensive (over $100) since people know how good they are. But the f/2.8 variants can be very reasonable. However, those marked "close focus" have a great reputation and command more unless you can find them under-described on eBay. You will also pay more for the "A" variants than the plain old K-mount. Nonetheless, all are good value compared to modern equivalents.

I have cataloged the many different models at the Vivitar Bestiary. These are all-metal, nice to focus with and take good pictures. They provide a normal focal length on APS-C, one I find particularly useful.
11-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks I purchased a Takumar 28mm f/3.5. so far these lenses have not let me down plus the price was good less then $30.00
11-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

flectogon 20/2.8