Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #1

Pls.... A* or fa* ??

Good morning everyone.
I wanted to ask you a question.
What do you choose between a, A * FA * 85mm and a 85mm?
And because of your choice.

'm Torn between which one to buy.
From what I've discovered, disturbing the owners of these superb optics, is that the FA * 85mm is more inclined to the use of portraits, and generates less friming, of the A *.

I try as much detail / resolution, and beautiful colors.
AF / non-AF, blur, etc. do not interest me.

I await your opinions and advice, since you've had them maybe even both.

I forgot, I am not looking for a specific use, I love photographing what fate brings me ...... that is what I find fun

Tkx all

11-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bollicina31 Quote
Good morning everyone.
I wanted to ask you a question.
What do you choose between a, A * FA * 85mm and a 85mm?
And because of your choice.

'm Torn between which one to buy.
From what I've discovered, disturbing the owners of these superb optics, is that the FA * 85mm is more inclined to the use of portraits, and generates less friming, of the A *.

I try as much detail / resolution, and beautiful colors.
AF / non-AF, blur, etc. do not interest me.

I await your opinions and advice, since you've had them maybe even both.

I forgot, I am not looking for a specific use, I love photographing what fate brings me ...... that is what I find fun

Tkx all

FA* Every time - my favourite portrait lens..
11-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know these lenses so I can't answer your question but when you say,

QuoteOriginally posted by bollicina31 Quote
I love photographing what fate brings me
I know we are brothers
11-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding is that the FA* is not as sharp as it could be at distance. I don't know this as fact, I read it on the internet.
OTOH, I have an A*85/1.4 and find it to be superb at any aperture and any distance, from closest focus to infinity.
Also, the M85 f/2 is a wonderful little lens that gets far less respect than it deserves.

11-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #5

I have both and to this date I`ve always thought they are equal in terms of IQ. But since Wheatfield´s post I need to compare them more thoughtfully tomorrow. Only difference for me has been AF or not. And of course the fact that the A version is more classic looking...

I do not need both though, so which one do you want to buy?
11-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have both and prefer the FA*. It is nearly as sharp, and only really gets trumped by the A* when considering its susceptibility to flare. I also prefer the look,exterior design, and finish of the A*, but as far as picture taking goes i prefer the FA*.
11-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I don't know these lenses so I can't answer your question but when you say,

I know we are brothers
Good luck to both

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My understanding is that the FA* is not as sharp as it could be at distance. I don't know this as fact, I read it on the internet.
OTOH, I have an A*85/1.4 and find it to be superb at any aperture and any distance, from closest focus to infinity.
Also, the M85 f/2 is a wonderful little lens that gets far less respect than it deserves.
Exactly, there is evidence of a network 77limited vs FA * 85mm,
This points to the FA * 85mm EQUAL aperture, showed a higher resolution, more defined.
But FA * 85mm was defined only by the camera to the point of focus,
More that point, the image was decadent and less defined the 77 Limited.
This is believed to have been wanted by Pentax at design of the lens.
project designed especially for portraits.
Meanwhile, the A * 85mm, has a classic construction as 77limited.

QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
I have both and to this date I`ve always thought they are equal in terms of IQ. But since Wheatfield´s post I need to compare them more thoughtfully tomorrow. Only difference for me has been AF or not. And of course the fact that the A version is more classic looking...

I do not need both though, so which one do you want to buy?
Hello, lucky, owner of both the optics.
Kindly await the photos to make a comparison.
Know that it will be very useful not only for me, I will rise now that the "worm" (doubt), but lighthouses me happy, especially me (but do not say it around).

Bipp .... awaiting pictures (series) for comparison.

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I have both and prefer the FA*. It is nearly as sharp, and only really gets trumped by the A* when considering its susceptibility to flare. I also prefer the look,exterior design, and finish of the A*, but as far as picture taking goes i prefer the FA*.
Kindly can you be clearer, more detailed, thanks.

You mean you think A * is more effective??
But A * is suffering most from friming open to everyone??
thanks

Thank you all for your kind help

11-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #8

Well, my FA*85 have *no* problem in delivering outstanding quality on distant objects! In fact I use it constantly wide open, at f1.4, on objects close, or at infinity. At 4-5.6 the sharpness, and the way it resolves at infinity is just fantastic.

Maybe I got the perfect copy, but I just do not undestand what people are talking about when it comes to sharpness at distant objects...
11-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Inactive Account

What I was saying is that the A* is very slightly sharper at most apertures. But it's really not an issues because the diffeerence is minimal.

The main problem with the A* is purple fringing. It is evident at almost every aperture, and really apparent at wider apertures.

The main problems with the FA* are that it is susceptible to flare, and that its finish is easily scratched. On the other hand I greatly prefer the color rendition of photos from the FA*.

Bottom line, I prefer the FA* for image quality, but I like the construction of the A* better, not that the construction of the FA* is bad.
11-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Termik Quote
Well, my FA*85 have *no* problem in delivering outstanding quality on distant objects! In fact I use it constantly wide open, at f1.4, on objects close, or at infinity. At 4-5.6 the sharpness, and the way it resolves at infinity is just fantastic.
Maybe I got the perfect copy, but I just do not undestand what people are talking about when it comes to sharpness at distant objects...
What I was saying is that the A* is very slightly sharper at most apertures. But it's really not an issues because the diffeerence is minimal.
The main problem with the A* is purple fringing. It is evident at almost every aperture, and really apparent at wider apertures.
The main problems with the FA* are that it is susceptible to flare, and that its finish is easily scratched. On the other hand I greatly prefer the color rendition of photos from the FA*.
Bottom line, I prefer the FA* for image quality, but I like the construction of the A* better, not that the construction of the FA* is bad.
Tkx at all

I understand, so ...
how I propose it, the FA * seems more suited to digital.
And the colors reproduced by FA * are "good".

My indecision stemmed from the fact that I have never seen photos from both born the same optics (FA * vs A *).
But I have seen this test, which adds in the original language.
Look primal image, and then translate it with google, after translation, the captions from the photos and make them go away, indistinguishable.

LINK: FOTOGRAFIA NADIR MAGAZINE - SMC Pentax FA* 85mm f/1.4 IF e SMC Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited

Good vision

Let me know then, what do you think
thanks
11-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #11

Well, I think it boils down to this:

Both the FA77 and the FA*85 are *very* competent lenses. If you want a more compact and unobtrusive lens, then choose the FA77. If you see the FA*85 in the flesh with the hood attached, if you have not already done so, you will see that is a *massive* lens. It looks a little bit like a giant hood, with a lens in the middle and a small camera in the back. It is b-i-g!

When writing this, I just start to wonder why I did not go for the FA77... It has so many advantages... but then I is clear to me: I wanted to have the legend!

It is a little bit like the lord of the rings... You cares the silver beast and whisper:
Ohh my precsiousssss... I am here with you.. ;-)
11-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA* 85mm. The second best Pentax lens every made IMO, following the 300mm/2.8.

It's my favorite lens by far, and the lens with which I take almost all my travel photos.

The A* version of the 85mm is optically similar to the FA Limited 77mm, whereas the FA* uses a different, arguable better formula featuring internal focusing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
Inactive Account

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/54815-fa*-85mm-vs-*-85mm.html

That is a comparison I did of the 2 lenses. The comparison photos definitely aren't the best(regarding both the subject matter and size/quality of the photos on the net), but I also summarized my opinions of the 2 lenses as best as I could.

I'm planning on picking up a couple of other lenses of a similar focal length in the future amd when/if I do I'll do another comparison post of better quality. I also might continue the comparison in that thread with some better quality examples from the A* and FA* lenses if I get bored this winter.
11-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Termik Quote
Well, I think it boils down to this:
Both the FA77 and the FA*85 are *very* competent lenses. If you want a more compact and unobtrusive lens, then choose the FA77. If you see the FA*85 in the flesh with the hood attached, if you have not already done so, you will see that is a *massive* lens. It looks a little bit like a giant hood, with a lens in the middle and a small camera in the back. It is b-i-g!
When writing this, I just start to wonder why I did not go for the FA77... It has so many advantages... but then I is clear to me: I wanted to have the legend!
It is a little bit like the lord of the rings... You cares the silver beast and whisper:
Ohh my precsiousssss... I am here with you.. ;-)
Yes, FA * 85 is really mass, but as giving you wrong, is a myth, a unique value.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
FA* 85mm. The second best Pentax lens every made IMO, following the 300mm/2.8.
It's my favorite lens by far, and the lens with which I take almost all my travel photos.
The A* version of the 85mm is optically similar to the FA Limited 77mm, whereas the FA* uses a different, arguable better formula featuring internal focusing.
Hello, thank you for info.
When I say that A * 85mm is similar to 77Limitad, you mean for the construction, which extends the dinghy??

hello thanks

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/54815-fa*-85mm-vs-*-85mm.html
That is a comparison I did of the 2 lenses. The comparison photos definitely aren't the best(regarding both the subject matter and size/quality of the photos on the net), but I also summarized my opinions of the 2 lenses as best as I could.
I'm planning on picking up a couple of other lenses of a similar focal length in the future amd when/if I do I'll do another comparison post of better quality. I also might continue the comparison in that thread with some better quality examples from the A* and FA* lenses if I get bored this winter.
Hello, dear.

Thanks for the link. I rush out of curiosity ....
I hope winter comes early, and it is icky, but not too much for my friends, (FA * and A *, intended for friends .... lol ....)

Seriously, I thank you and I look forward to your test.