Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I missing something? 28-90mm

I was looking thru the lens database that claims "This large database is complete with every Pentax lens ever produced." and found only 3 zoom lenses in the Pentax K section. I wanted to see if there were any user reviews on the 28-90 FA. I can pick one up (another case of LBA) dirt cheap but wondering If I should not waste the money. So 2 questions:
1) anyone have any experience with this lens (other than as a paperweight)?
2) why no zooms in the database or do I need my eyeglass prescription checked?

I'd like to see the database expanded as well to include other brands but then the bandwidth may be too much.

06-10-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you might have looked into the wrong section. What you want is the F or FA series lenses. Pentax K section is only for the first generation K mount manual focus lenses.

eg, there are 39 reviews in the FA Zoom section alone:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/category-SMC-Pentax-FA-Zoom-Lenses.html

cheers
Kenny
06-10-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
should have been more clear...

I looked in the FA series. I should have said "Pentax K-Mount Lenses" group. There isn't a single zoom in the FA group of lenses reviewed. Even using the search box provides no results. So I'm assuming zooms were omitted for some reason. Odd given the thousands of "totally astounding" 28-80 FA's out there (you can make your own definitions for that one).
06-10-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ummm If you look up a little under the title of category it states FA Zooms and you can look at FA Zooms to your hearts content.

Hope that helps.

06-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here it is:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showproduct.php?product=214&cat=44

There are 20 zoom lenses listed in "FA Series" section. How come that you can not see/find them?
06-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I looked in the FA series. I should have said "Pentax K-Mount Lenses" group. There isn't a single zoom in the FA group of lenses reviewed. Even using the search box provides no results. So I'm assuming zooms were omitted for some reason. Odd given the thousands of "totally astounding" 28-80 FA's out there (you can make your own definitions for that one).
All 28-90mm lenses will appear if you enter "28-90mm" into the search box. A link to the lens you are looking for was posted by Ivan in the above post.

The 28-90mm has a surprisingly-good 10-element optical construction, which is strange considering the poor build quality and the plastic mount. If you can find the lens for $50 or less, go for it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
eye Dr for me!!!

Thanks guys, I think it's time to go back to bed after I get my eyes checked. I totally missed the link...duh
06-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #8

Are you sure that you aren't talking about the 24-90? I don't think that there was a FA 28-90. There was a FA 24-90 that was introduced around 1999 or so that is highly regarded.

06-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awetmore Quote
Are you sure that you aren't talking about the 24-90? I don't think that there was a FA 28-90. There was a FA 24-90 that was introduced around 1999 or so that is highly regarded.
I'm actually looking at my FA 28-90 as I write this, so I am pretty sure it exists...

Like Mo said, it is actually a surprisingly good lens, but I don't use it much because it feels SO cheap in the hand, especially mounted on my K100D.