Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Definitely agree on the gap.
from 20 to 31 it's quite a step IMHO. It's like 31mm compared to 50mm on FF/film. It's manageable and well spaced gap but it IS a gap. Add to it that my version of 10-20 only does f5.6 at 20mm and it leaves me with nothing wider than 31mm for available light (and this is probably bigger reason behind my drive to get something to bridge this gap, than the mm difference itself!)
I can't comment on 21ltd as I never had it, but I'm not planning to purchase it anyway, I saw FA20/2.8 on sale in marketplace though, I may think of that one... but anyway, many lenses are sharp when stopped down to f5.6! I'm not doubting the qualities of 21ltd, I know there is many people who like this lens, it just never caught my attention seriously enough....
And as far as SMC xx 24s go FA*24 is really pricey but more than that it's practically unavailable in UK!!!
Now to this story of K24 (and to my understanding A24 is the same optically) being better. How good is K24??? I did give it a go but my MF skills are not the best, is it worth second look? It is for decent price from reputable seller and it is in good condition for 30odd years old lens...
AND: anybody has experiences with the Tokina 20-35/2.8 is it worth 300 in mint condition???
TIA
Peter
I have no experience with the Tokina Peter. an autofocus lens can come in handy, however, having used manual focus lenses w/ and w/o focus trap seems very easy for me as long as it has a smooth focus ring movement. this is coming from a person with an eye defect with no Katz-eye screen for accurate focus. I believe you should give the K24 a chance and if you don't like, you can sell it anyways. so no harm in trying there. both the K's have excellent resolution already. the FA is better but we are talking about the premium here. is the lens worth it for being a stop faster, autofocus and not really a runaway winner in terms of IQ? for a bargain price you can have lots of K24s for the price of an FA24. btw, I'm not that overly impressed with the FA*'s sharpness performance at wide open as far as what I had seen. so a 2.8 would be much more of the shooting minimum, which is the K is capable of.

I have the K28/3.5 btw. and here is what I got initially from it. just to give you an idea on what to expect on some of the highly regarded K lenses.

shots under tungsten lighting/lowlight. no sharpening or NR done of any sort. NR is completely disabled. all are K-7 jpegs shot at ISO 1000 @f3.5

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Pentaxor; 11-29-2009 at 09:06 PM.
11-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the Tokina 20-35 F2.8 while I was in Tokyo. It's a fantastically sharp lens!
I treat it more like a prime lens than I do a zoom lens since the zoom range is pretty limited. But that works fine for me since I love primes.

just check for front focusing. i use mine for manual focus only so the autofocus issue for me is not a problem and is most likely just an issue with the copy i picked up.