Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
looking for wide angle lens on a budget

hi, i just won a samsung gx 20 wich have a pentax k mount, and i just bought these lenses:

SMC PENTAX-A 50mm f/1.7

TOKINA RMC 1:3.5/70-210mm PENTAX K-mount

and im looking for a cheap wide angle lens and i can buy this.:

Vivitar 28mm f2.8 MC Wide angle Lens, Pentax K fit
RICOH XR RIKENON , 28mm f2.8 MC lens PENTAX K mount

do you recommend me getting one of these lenses? or going with a variable zoom lens? if so wich one? any other alternative or thought about my doubt? dont want to spend too much cash on the lens.. thanks

and btw what do you think of this lens:

TOKINA RMC 1:3.5/70-210mm PENTAX K-mount

11-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have any experience or knowledge of these lenses, and I am sure you will get some input from users. In the mean time, being new you may not be aware of the lens review section which lists user reviews and at times the price paid for Pentax and other brands. This will give you a much better idea of the quality of the lenses.

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - Main Index

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index
11-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks! ive been there, but found almost no info...
11-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, you're obviously not allergic to zooms, but seem to have a penchant for manual focus lenses. That said, is there any reason you are staying away from a $50-60 18-55 kit lens? That gives you decent image quality (won't be upto the 50mm A you have, but likely better than the tokina zoom), and a proper wide angle zoom for an APS-C sensor. just 2 cents of mine!

11-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I am in agreement on the 18-55. You can get the latest version (18-55mm wr) for $129. You could add a raynox 150 for $50 and have a nice walk around lens with very good macro capability for under $200 shipped to your door.

Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR

Last edited by ivoire; 11-30-2009 at 07:53 AM.
11-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The newer WR 18-55 kit lens sounds like the ideal choice at that price. With your
G20D it will be a nice weather resistant package.
11-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Agreed, get the WR version if you can afford it! I am surprised Abes still has it under $129 - beach camera stopped selling it for that price (and cancelled some of the later orders, I may have been one of the last ones to get it through ebay).

There is a used one one bay at the moment missing rear cap for $107/shipped w/buy it now - that is a good deal, sounds like it is in good condition (search "pentax 18-55mm weather resistant" to find it...).

The WR will be a nice pairing, giving you weather resistance to go along with your sealed samsung body.
11-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The kit lens - 18-55 is a good choice. Depending on your budget, you can slide in price from about $50 for the version I to $130 for the weather sealed. At 18mm it is the cheapest widest lens you are going to find. I will suggest that you find a kit lens in the version II. Pentax came out with this for the K20 (your Samsung) because of the higher density in the sensor, and the version II would provide better resolution.

Before you go spending a lot of money, take a look at this thread on the kit lens and the pictures others have used it to take.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/45425-kit-lens-club.html

I think the kit lens will be just fine for quite a while. The other thing is, before you go hog wild here, is to use what you have - now the kit lens covers the focal lengths that most are interested in so, yes I think that it is necessary. But pick up an inexpensive kit, and then see where your interests go in photography before putting a dent in the checking account.

11-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #9

Original Poster
and do you know any place to buy that kit at a good price in europe? or ebay? and how do i diferentiate version I from vers. 2

Last edited by gybp; 11-30-2009 at 09:43 AM.
11-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Agreed, get the WR version if you can afford it! I am surprised Abes still has it under $129 - beach camera stopped selling it for that price (and cancelled some of the later orders, I may have been one of the last ones to get it through ebay).
There is a used one one bay at the moment missing rear cap for $107/shipped w/buy it now - that is a good deal, sounds like it is in good condition (search "pentax 18-55mm weather resistant" to find it...).
The WR will be a nice pairing, giving you weather resistance to go along with your sealed samsung body.

can u give me the ebay link please
11-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

looks like it has sold since this morning, unfortunately! I am not familiar with sellers in europe, or any specific retailers that ship to europe from the US, sorry I can't be of assistance there!

There are several versions of the 18-55mm kit lens, as follows:

1. the original - 18-55mm DA AL (discontinued)
2. the 2nd version - 18-55mm DA AL II (I believe discontinued, carried on in the cheaper kit lens version 3 for entry level bodies, or more expensive WR version that is paired as a kit lens for the weather sealed bodies such as the K7)
3. the 3rd version - 18-55mm DA L AL (same optically as version II, lacking the quickshift focus, no hood and a plastic rather than metal mount).
4. the 4rd version - 18-55mm DA AL WR - the weather sealed version, has quickshift, a hood and metal mount with rubber seal - the build quality is a step up due to the sealing, everything feels alittle tighter and well built over the previous versions - still optically the same as the DA AL II and DA L AL lenses.

You would want any of the last 3 versions - if you don't need weather sealing, quickshift or a hood try and find a used DA L - the plastic mount is still very solid and shouldn't be a deal breaker.
11-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
if it is not asking too much, can u point me to asome ebay links that sells any of those that you recommend so that i dont make anything wrong... im new buying lenses
11-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'll throw in another vote for the 18-55 kit lens. The 28mm the OP mentioned isn't all that wide on a digital camera.

Ebay listings change by the hour so recommending a particular listing probably wouldn't work and the prices could change in a short period of time, especially in the last few minutes of bidding. The best way to shop Ebay is to be patient. Look for the lenses you want and click watch and bid if the price is within your budget. If you are in Europe, Ebay may work a little different so maybe some members from that side of the pond can offer some advice.
11-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
if it is not asking too much, can u point me to asome ebay links that sells any of those that you recommend so that i dont make anything wrong... im new buying lenses
Buying new on ebay, I've had luck with Prodigital 2000 (out of Ontario, I think). You can just type it into the search box. Otherwise, the best prices and service are at B&H, Adorama, and Amazon.

I'd throw in a vote for the kit lens. There isn't anything from the film era that can come close to competing, price-wise, because really wide angles are expensive to produce.

If you are into manual lenses, I used to own a Tamron adaptall 17mm, which can be had at KEH for ~$150 or so. It was a pretty good lens (and looks awesome), but certainly no better than the kit lens. Except for vignetting -- there really isn't any using a 35mm lens. The kit lens isn't great in that department, but that is a very easy fix in PP.