Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help! My DA* 16-50mm just broke!

Please help! I shot with this lens all day yesterday with no problems. At the end of the day when I removed the lens from the body I noticed that it would not zoom the full range. It will only go from about 35 to 50mm. I had been shooting at 16 all evening with no problems. Of course it ran out of warranty last month. Anyone else have this problem with this lens? This is one of my favorite lens, stays on one body 90% of the time.

11-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this.
I've not yet heard of this problem before - and it started doing this without having taken a knock at any stage?
Does it get tight trying to zoom out or does it just 'hit the wall' once 35mm is reached?
Is AF still working (that would be a miracle!)? Does it matter where on the focus ring you are as to whether you can freely zoom in and out?
11-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Ash,

Everythings fine from 35-50 including auto-focus. It stops solid at 35 but no binding, spins smooth. I was shooting Christmas lights at 18 most of the evening with no problems. Pretty sure it never got hit or anything.
11-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds similar to the story I have been hearing, SDM failure of some sort.

11-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
why do I get the feeling that these SDM lenses tend to fail or display any malfunction right after their warranty expired.
11-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a consipracy - they're programmed to do so!

But seriously, this is sad... hoghead, is there something obstructing the collapse of one of the extension parts of the zoom (sorry I don't know the name of those tube sections)?
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think it's a problem with the SDM, the auto-focus works fine from 35-50. Would that stop the lens from rotating through the full range of 16-50? It doesn't seem to be a focus issue, something with the zoom range. Just my thoughts, really have no idea. I sent my K20 back to Pentax for repair under warranty and it seems to work fine now but it took seven weeks. I don't want to wait that long on the lens and since it's out of warranty by one month I'm thinking of taking it to my local repair shop.

11-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's a consipracy - they're programmed to do so!
But seriously, this is sad... hoghead, is there something obstructing the collapse of one of the extension parts of the zoom (sorry I don't know the name of those tube sections)?

I really can't tell but everything appears fine. I put it in my truck and was working fine and when I got home it was broke, no idea what could have happened.
12-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Guys,
I've got really good news. My lens is working again. Last night I had made my mind up to take my DA* 16-50 to a local repair shop for repair. Well, while I was fooling with it I said what the hell, it's already broke and applied a little force inward on the barrel of the lens as I tried to turn it. Well guess what, all of a sudden it broke free and will now zoom the entire range and seems to work fine, auto focus and all. I think maybe when I went to remove the lens hood the other night the lens got in a bind of some sorts. It sometimes gets very hard to remove unless you grab it it a particular spot. For whatever the reason I'm back in business at no cost. What a relief!
12-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
That's really a good news.
12-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I hope for you that there is nothing loose inside the lens. If there is something loose, it could happen again. Maybe you should try to shake (gently) the lens while listening carefully to make sure nothing is moving in it.
12-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to hear, but if it does happen again, it's probably worth getting it definitively sorted out - let us know how it goes.
12-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Yves. You might want to check the lens by shaking it a bit and see if you can hear any rattle / loose sound.
I remember somebody mentioned that Pentax repair center found something like plastic part that broke inside the lens that cause the SDM not working.
Just to make sure.
12-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
I agree with Yves. You might want to check the lens by shaking it a bit and see if you can hear any rattle / loose sound.
I remember somebody mentioned that Pentax repair center found something like plastic part that broke inside the lens that cause the SDM not working.
Just to make sure.
Yea,
I did that when it broke loose, no rattles as of yet. Went out and took about 50 shots with it this afternoon and so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
12-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoghead Quote
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Is it awkward to take photos like that?