Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got a DA*300 and, like netuser, use it and love it. No issues despite a nasty tumble. That said, if I had a "do over" I'd probably go for an A series 300 or 400mm (oh, wait: I've got an A*400 but that's a very different story.)

Put simply, The sentence "SDM rules!" has never escaped my lips: the supposed benefits just aren't that important to me in practice (yeah, it's quieter but I'm losing my hearing anyway.) I'll steer away from SDM until I'm sure the issues are resolved and/or I'm convinced somehow that there's a significant practical advantage.

12-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Pentaxor,

I'm sorry I didn't mention that I'm from VN. I haven't been back there for a few years now but I have a brother and two sisters still living there. My mom lives here in the US, but she goes back visiting every year.

My sister-in-law is an English teacher over there; her husband is a photographer. They ask me if I could bring laptops and photography equipment back when visiting because according to them, the real stuffs over there are more expensive than they are here, and it's difficult to tell the real stuffs from the counterfeits.

But maybe your friends know something my family members don't.
I see. well it's no different in the U.S. or Canada either. I forgot that name of one popular ladies' bag maker that has been counterfeited and even sold at some legal mall shops. I'm not into ladies bag fetish, but my wife is. she could tell a certain fake from that of an original no matter how little or tiny the differences are. sometimes she would feel pity to other women who flash their bags not knowing that those were counterfeits.

regarding your sister-in-law and her husband's dilemma, I find that very surprising as well. sure there are counterfeits everywhere, but that doesn't mean that counterfeits can be determined because they are cheap. finding a cheap authentic gadgets can't be done if your shopping knowledge and tenacity are limited to where you are willing to go. as I techie freak, I find myself scouring the place here in B.C. for potential stores that sell cheap but authentic items. I already found some, but most of the vendors, especially the big ones sell at a much higher premium. some for twice the price and some for 3x of that.
12-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I was recently looking to buy some DA* lenses. I haven't even sold all of the equipment in the marketplace that was supposed to pay for them yet.

However, all this talk about SDM failures certainly have shaken my confidence. I was looking for used lenses because new ones would have been out of my budget but clearly going the used direction with SDM lenses will be a risk.

Instead of those lenses, I decided on a 17-50mm Tamron and a 50-150mm Sigma. The Tamron has a 6 year warranty and the Sigma has a 10 year warranty. So even though the HSM lenses have also had some problems, I'm not worried that I'll be stuck with a $200+ bill to have it fixed.

I have to agree with all those who said that a similar extended warranty on SDM lenses would definitely increase customer confidence in Pentax products.
12-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think thats exactly the DA* problem. Its amazing how much confidence is gained with a decent warranty... I have a 50-135 which has no issues and is a truely great lens.... but all this talk puts me off laying out for the 16-50, and wouldnt touch a 2nd hand one unless price was low enough to send it for a service and still have a good deal...
Also a bit nervous about the 16-50 if the resale value is hurt because of quality issues.
A 5-10 year worldwide warranty could be implemented overnight by pentax and would make all this talk go away... only they know how much this would cost them (i.e. whats the real failure rate...)

12-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had my DA* 50-135mm for about 3 months. It failed twice already. Each time, the focus was rough, both AF and MF. AF was stuck at certain focal length as if it was somehow mechanically stuck. But each time it mysteriously recovered after sitting overnight. I have lost my confidence on it but luckily, it is still under warranty.

I was surprised that this lens still got high score(9.77) in the lens review section here. When I bought the lens, I used the review as one reference because it seemed to suggest 50-135mm has much lower SDM failure rate. Now, I know the SDM issue is real on 50-135mm and my luck is bad.
01-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #21

How are your SDM lenses now? Please tell me how quite your 16-50 2.8 is. Also your 50-135. Mine is new and making a small amount of noise as the glass is shifting into focus. I can send it back but I don't have a lot of time. I appreciate your response.

Thanks.