Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

My wife is Japanese so shopping and fashion to her is like drinking water, a necessity. My camera stuff is a hobby, in her eyes they are completely different. But in her defence, she has held back on a lot of purchases as I have with camera equipment because we are a young family, moving back to Australia and I'm going back to uni.

I'm waiting to see her face when we go to Australia where there is a Pentax ME Super, Winder II, soligor 135mm, takumar 150mm and a takumar handbook waiting at my parents house. "Look honey at all the camera stuff my dad found at the local swap meet" "Thanks dad" wink wink.

12-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank God I'm single and don't have to go through all of this....

Pretty amusing though. I'm taking notes for the future.
12-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
Thank God I'm single and don't have to go through all of this....

Pretty amusing though. I'm taking notes for the future.
You'll need more than a few notes mate. Having my own family is the best thing that has happened to me...other than the two strippers I met in Sydney

Yeah it is easier being single because you have no one to worry about but you, but it does feel good to care for people much more than I care for myself and I'd throw all my Pentax gear and swap to Nikon if I knew it would prevent them from any harm...but never Canon
12-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
Yeah it is easier being single because you have no one to worry about but you, but it does feel good to care for people much more than I care for myself and I'd throw all my Pentax gear and swap to Nikon if I knew it would prevent them from any harm...but never Canon
You sure? As much as I like Nikon they can't run Taks to infinity you know

Great stories.... I myself live alone so I dont have to worry about my own purchases... but I like to brag to my friend about my purchases and somehow always have to justify each new one and sometimes my friend ask me why I bother having two lenses of the same focal length....

12-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

the key is not to show all the lenses together at one place.
My wife knows that i have some lenses, but she does not have any idea about how many. They all look the same and are spread around the house.

anyway this year end , i am giving away my 50mm f1.2 (with k100d ) to my old friend as gift. And gifting 135mm f3.5 to another friend who just bought k-x.

I do not have 40mm f2.8 pancake (since i have few 50mms), i think i am gonna buy it as next purchase. Not sure when though, just depends on my mood.
12-02-2009, 05:48 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
More CBA than LBA, but I remember spontaneously getting the K20 when a work bonus and cheque for photo work coincided with a big 200 price drop and, thanks to the visual similarity between it and the K10, used it undetected for weeks until I'd worked out how to get the go ahead for 'an upgrade' She became more savvy after that!

Best one was using a load of vouchers, internet cashback and other assorted trickery to bag a K-m bargain. I got the silent treatment for aaaages as she thought I'd splurged everything on a K-7!! So after explaining I got the camera and the apologetic lady with that one...
12-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I upgraded to the K-7, my wife was surprised when I sold my used K10D for more than I paid for it!

Probably because it turned into a K20D somewhere along the line...

I've bought and sold about 20 lenses over the past year alone (there are probably lenses here that I don't even know about myself), and I'm sure I'll have a WTFx20 moment one of these days, but I think my wife just likes that I have a hobby and take nice pics of the kids!
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

In 2005, I dropped my film camera just hard enough to break the Sigma zoom on it. I started talking about getting a DSLR, but pretty much just talk on my part. My wife called up B&H and ordered a *ist D without me knowing, for my birthday. The *ist was like $1200 at the time. I returned it and got the *ist DS for $750 because I did not think the extra features were worth it.

I have LBA stories but I like my wife stories better.

12-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #24

Next year will be crunch time

My partner likes to do a bit of photography but struggles with the concept of why anyone would want more than one camera. I've recently sold off a couple of cameras I didn't want but have added a few more. At the moment this isn't a problem because we still live in our own homes, but she'll wonder what's been going on when we move in together next year.

She won't actually get angry, she'll just roll her eyes at me. I'll try and counter this by reminding her that I fully support her choices about whatever golf clothing/gear she buys, and that I bought the last couple with the proceeds of my tax refund, and that they didn't cost that much anyway.

I hope it works
12-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
...but I think my wife just likes that I have a hobby and take nice pics of the kids!
Oh yeah, my wife loves the photos too and she knows getting a pro would cost a lot but it's the same old "don't you already have like 10 lenses"
12-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #26

Great stories. My wife don't mind me buying lenses, she just monopolizes the best of them (like the DA35 - I think it's been on my camera once).
12-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #27
Pentaxian

A few ploys to keep the Minister of Finance happy:
I have LBA but I keep it under control most of the time..... One day at a time

I use the strategy of keeping all my gear on a couple of shelves - I just hide new gear amongst the old and it goes unnoticed.

I have an ebay addict work colleague do the purchases for me on consignment. He loves the lure of the deal and is good at the sniping bid. Stops me from getting carried away by keeping the purchases at arms length and new items are delivered at work. Repayment is in cash of course.

I limit my purchases to double digits and make sure I have the financial scales balanced right by selling a few prints or doing a couple of photo shoots. Paid in cash of course. Most of my lenses have earned their right to exist by making sellable prints or getting used for specific contexts.

Occasionally (monthly) for fun I go looking for lenses on ebay that I already own and love to report the trophy stories of significant value increases. This is easy these days as Takumars and other big name manufacturers such as Schneider Kreuznach and Zeiss have increased in value due to the renewed interest in quality manual glass. Makes the hobby seem like a quality investment rather than toys. Some cost so little that even a few dollars increase in value sounds great when expressed as a percentage.

I do a reasonable number of pics a week (3-400) for work related purposes - this then makes purchasing some items a tax deduction and can be purchased on the books. Epson R1900 for example.

Hope this helps others.