Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA funny stories

just might start something here concerning LBA moments.

let me start off by sharing my experience.

the latest one was last week when I purchased a particular lens from a certain fella.
I agreed to meet the person to a certain time and place. seller didn't agree on the set place so we decided to do it at my residence instead. to my horror, I just remembered that my wife would be around during that time, so I called the seller to just come a bit later. as I was waiting for the seller to arrrive, my wife was preparing to go out for her appointment. god, why do women aren't that as punctual with time? so I purposely tried to coax her to move a bit faster so that she wouldn't be late. now everything was back on track and seem to be going as planned til the doorbell rang. to my horror, the seller arrived much earlier than I expected. I had no choice but to let the person and and accomodate him. I told my wife that somebody came and I don't want to be disturbed at that moment and do her thing first instead and talk to me about it later. glad she was running late and bought my alibi instead, giving me enough time to give a proper alibi.

then the seller and I were back to business. and asked if my wife knew that I was about to buy a lens. I told him that she had no idea. I got a sound advice from the seller, he told me to "HIDE THE LENS".

when my wife came back from her appointment, she asked me who the gentleman was, I told her "oh, that was a Jehovah's witness" trying to convert me !

so what's your story?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 11-30-2009 at 09:46 PM.
11-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Voe
Veteran Member

This is funny) Great story.
11-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You should try attaching a good Takumar to that camera and see what happens to that LBA.
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Funny story Pentaxor
I guess mine is more of a CBA story...
In early 2008 I had decided to upgrade from the K100DS to the soon-to-be-released K20D, but was going to very calmly wait a few months until the price went down. I was reading a thread here about the K20D's feature set when someone posted that the K20D was now 'shipping' from B&H. Panicking, I went there and clicked "Buy" in a frenzy, before I could stop myself ($1300 new, IIRC.)
A couple days later, I still hadn't told my wife that I planned to upgrade, much less that I had ordered the camera already, when I saw a FedEx truck turn the corner out my living room window.
Now, I knew (pathetically) from past experience that they always turn that corner, see my house number, go down to the end of the block, turn around and come back to park in front of my house, because the parking across the street is always taken by those neighbors.
So... I knew I had that amount of time to explain to my wife the virtues of the K20D, and how it would be a much better camera for this and that, and it had these other features that would allow me to take pictures that were...
The doorbell rings.
And my wife guessed, right when she heard the doorbell - "That's the camera now, isn't it?"
She got a lot of on-demand back massages that week.

11-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought my k20d showing my wife how how I could use my new cell phone to browse the internet....made a bid on a new k20d saying...."don't worry...it'll go to someone else."

I had to sell my k10d in a hurry!!!! Luckily it sold...but after the k20d showed up
11-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

haha...good stories.
When LBA first set in last summer I went to the local camera store which is a big old place with lots of used stuff. I found a large display case full of Pentax film bodies and old lenses. I went on a Wed afternoon and there was one old salesman. He let me dig through the lenses and I made a list. The following evening I sat down to study the list while looking at the lens DB. There were a few gems I was interested in, but one stood out: A 50/1.2 - $90.
On Fri morning I called the shop to confirm the accuracy of my notes and that the lens was in excellent shape. I told him I wanted the lens and would come in Mon morning. He said the lens had been there a while and he'd be glad to finally sell it.
When I got to the shop I found someone else had bought the lens on Saturday.
As a consolation I bought a Dine 105 macro, but I still kick myself for not going back right away to get the 50/1.2.

cheers
12-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Isn't it sad that we have to keep this hobby locked away, hidden from the family (especially the wife)...but when you get a lens behind her back it's like cheating without really doing anything wrong. Fun Fun. Anyway, like Jay I have a camera story.

In Japan, when a man proposes to a woman, the couple then go the the woman's parents and ask for permission to marry. This consists of the man making a small speech, bowing way too many times and a lot of awkward silences. Then the sake flows. Anyway, after I went through all of that I bought my (at that time) fiancé a ring and off she went to show the world. In some or most families the woman's parents will buy a gift for the groom to be (usually about half the amount of the ring). This gift usually comes as cash and then it's discussed what the man will buy and he goes and buys it. So my in laws were talking about buying a watch, a suit, something lame like that and my wife mentioned that I was on the look out for an expensive camera (at the time I only had a Holga) and they thought it was a good idea too.

When she came home and told me I could (maybe) buy a camera, the search was on. Sony, Canon, Nikon...Pentax? So at this time the K10D had just been released and I asked my wife if I could buy it because I had a wad of cash (the present) in my desk. In frustration she nonchalantly says "douzou douzou" while huffing and driving off to work. Being far from fluent in Japanese, douzou to me meant "go for it". Within 20 min I was at the camera store heckling the guy to give me a discount and I walked out with a spanking new K10D and a shit eating grin to boot.

Then the fiancé came home. Basically it was a huge WTF x 20. She flipped out because we hadn't discussed it properly with her parents (it was their money after all) and I flipped out because I thought douzou meant go for it. F#%K. I was in so much trouble and we weren't even married. According to her, her douzou meant go for it plus a pinch of "whatever...use your head" and I was supposed to understand that. F#%K.

2.5 years later, still married, living in the in laws, baby, K10D and a few other toys she doesn't know about

12-01-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
You should try attaching a good Takumar to that camera and see what happens to that LBA.
just like opening up a new can of worms, eh?
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
Isn't it sad that we have to keep this hobby locked away, hidden from the family (especially the wife)...but when you get a lens behind her back it's like cheating without really doing anything wrong. Fun Fun. Anyway, like Jay I have a camera story.

In Japan, when a man proposes to a woman, the couple then go the the woman's parents and ask for permission to marry. This consists of the man making a small speech, bowing way too many times and a lot of awkward silences. Then the sake flows. Anyway, after I went through all of that I bought my (at that time) fiancé a ring and off she went to show the world. In some or most families the woman's parents will buy a gift for the groom to be (usually about half the amount of the ring). This gift usually comes as cash and then it's discussed what the man will buy and he goes and buys it. So my in laws were talking about buying a watch, a suit, something lame like that and my wife mentioned that I was on the look out for an expensive camera (at the time I only had a Holga) and they thought it was a good idea too.

When she came home and told me I could (maybe) buy a camera, the search was on. Sony, Canon, Nikon...Pentax? So at this time the K10D had just been released and I asked my wife if I could buy it because I had a wad of cash (the present) in my desk. In frustration she nonchalantly says "douzou douzou" while huffing and driving off to work. Being far from fluent in Japanese, douzou to me meant "go for it". Within 20 min I was at the camera store heckling the guy to give me a discount and I walked out with a spanking new K10D and a shit eating grin to boot.

Then the fiancé came home. Basically it was a huge WTF x 20. She flipped out because we hadn't discussed it properly with her parents (it was their money after all) and I flipped out because I thought douzou meant go for it. F#%K. I was in so much trouble and we weren't even married. According to her, her douzou meant go for it plus a pinch of "whatever...use your head" and I was supposed to understand that. F#%K.

2.5 years later, still married, living in the in laws, baby, K10D and a few other toys she doesn't know about

Love this story, and I want to borrow "a huge WTF x 20", hilarious.

12-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

It's yours Jay, but use it wisely
12-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
It's yours Jay, but use it wisely
BTW, my brother tells me WTF stands for Why The Face? quite apropos in this case don't you think?
12-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"You got 2 big packages today . . . . . "

So, there are so many that I hesitate to choose one as the best one, but here goes.

First, I have most of my purchases sent to the office so someone can sign for them, but about every fifth one comes to the home, as much out of chagrin that my mailroom should know of my LBA as anything. Some while ago I figured out that having some things come at home might be good - I had to get all these lenses somewhere!!!

Last Christmas all my children were home, each with a PnS digital camera (other brands). My wife admired their cameras and directed me to take pictures of this and that with my K10D, but she had nothing digital with which to take pictures.

Shortly after the New Year I purchased a Clearance-priced A40 for a business trip and had it sent to the office, "so someone could sign for it"

Now understand, I am totally anal about boxes and packaging - I even keep the twisty ties. Some weeks later my wife whined to me, "I wish I had a cool camera like everybody else." Once in a blue moon I hear those messages, and this was one of the times. Her birthday was coming up in a few weeks - - - Quick, down to the cellar and bring out the A40 box, repack everything just as it was (even got the cello tape close to the original spot) and store it on the top shelf of my closet. Camera was a BIG hit - OOOhh a NICE camera - black and everything!

Few more weeks go buy.

You got a package today . . . . Look at the return label - Eric Hendrickson - I know what THIS is!!! Kitchen counter; pocket knife; little plastic bag with a rubber band --

"What's in the box," she asked?

"K2DMD."

"What's that?"

"Pentax's pro camera from the 70's - they're really hard to find; great camera; look, it even has AE Lock . . . "

"Well put some film in it and let's go for a walk."

(Jaw drops open)

"OK." (Smelling CBA victory)

"Wait just a minute - let me get that nice camera you bought -- and then palmed off on me like it was new!"

Last edited by monochrome; 12-02-2009 at 01:27 PM.
12-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Good story, Better halves are always three steps ahead no matter how devious we think we are.
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I must be the only one with the opposite problem. My missus loves to shop and loves to actually buy stuff. Clothes are our fourth largest expence after the house, cars and food so she's a buyer alright.

If we so much as come within 300 ft of a camera shop she sidles up to try and get me to buy stuff, therefore justifying more $$$ at god knows what clothing store.

So in our household she's the one sneaking in stuff as I watch the door for packages that are supposed to look old but are hiding set of designed jeans or whatever.
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I love these stories. Alfisti, I am the opposite as you say, I want my wife to buy stuff for herself so I can get more camera equipment.

One other quickie - walking out to the car with my wife and mother & law and little guy, and the UPS truck stops in the middle of the street in between my neighbor's house across the street and my house. I was expecting something later in the day (I think it was an F 50 1.7,) so I was surprised... but luckily, my wife and M&L were engaged in a heated conversation about something as they were walking out to the car, and I very casually handed the little guy to my wife, who started strapping him in to the car seat while still talking to her mom. I took the few seconds of distraction to turn around, step up to the truck, sign for the package, walk back to my car, put it in the hatchback window along with the diaper bag in back and slide into the driver's seat - all without being noticed. They never stopped talking or were even aware of what happened, I kid you not.

Now, Its never a *huge* deal if I get something like that, but sometimes I just don't feel like explaining everything. Ya know?