Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indecisive

Hi All

Hi have a VERY nice collection of m42 lenses, including the Super Tak 500 1.4 and 200 4
and quite often think about putting them up for sale here or on ebay.
So I get the aluminium case i keep them in, open it up and sigh, "they look so beautiful all snugged up neat and tidy" handle them make sure they are still clean and in working order then think I CAN"T SELL these little beauties.
I put them back in the case and close it saying to myself I shall get them out and use them more often.
They stay there unused yet again lol

Does anyone else have this problem, they really aren't worth that much money to have sitting around when you think about it, but the money they are worth will go towards a new tamron 90mm 1:1 macro

just venting

12-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Easy to get attached and feel a bit sentimental, but if they are no being used, are they worth retaining. why not sell and put into the lens that you are really keen on, and know you will put to good use.

Then again, I suppose that is easy for me to say
12-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

I know it too...
I hate parting with lenses even if I don't use them...
but on the other side I don't mind trading lenses I don't use for something I want (even if I won't use it again )
so in youf place I'd sell them...
12-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So use them Taff. Bite the bullet and get a Pentax genuine M42 to K mount adapter and play with them. At the moment I probably own twice the number of M42 lenses to K mount and they get quite regular usage.

12-01-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
So use them Taff. Bite the bullet and get a Pentax genuine M42 to K mount adapter and play with them. At the moment I probably own twice the number of M42 lenses to K mount and they get quite regular usage.
I'm with xjjohnno on this one. Get a genuine adapter and see what they're capable of. If you still don't feel inclined to keep them, you'll have no problem selling them and even less selling the adapter. I'm also using taks more than anything else of late - that 50, in particular, is a beauty.
12-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know what you're talking about Taff. Lately I haven't had time to use any of my lenses. After selling some I now have about twenty (2 AF rest MF) lenses which I can't sell. The way I see it: someday I'll have more time and then I'll be glad I didn't sell them. Especially if Pentax launches a FF and I can afford it and all the old glass still fit it. Now I'm trying not to buy more lenses.

btw that 500 1.4 must be some lens. What's the filter thread on it, 1000mm? ...sorry I couldn't help myself.
12-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a Vivitar series 1 70-210 that's all but sold (pending payment). I used it a lot when I got it, but the wife won't use non-AF lenses, so I got a 100-300 too. The Viv has been unused since then. But I didn't want to sell it, seeing as it's so nice and shiny and sturdy and good.

But someone all but asked for it, and I decided it was the right time to fund LBA. I'll miss looking at it (as silly as it may sound) but I wouldn't have used it anyway.

12-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My missus wants to have me committed for buying and not selling .... any hows a M42 adapter is cheap as chips bought one here a while back genuine and less than US$15 I believe so just be on the lookout and shoot shoot shoot

cheers
12-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taff

If you want to sell, I may be interested in some, because I am playing with a dangerous idea.

As I have upgraded, I have kept everything.

I now have 3 DSLRs, an *istD, a K10D and a K7D.

My K7 is a stellar performer with all my "newer" like my sigma 70-200F2.8 and 10-20 etc, and even with my 300F4 plus 1.7x AF TC.

But what to do with the older bodies.

I presently have made the K10D a MF body by installing a split image.

I have almost a full prime collection of K and KA mounts (8 lenses) from 24mm through 400mm. and a series 1 70-200 zoom in K mount (I would like a 15-20mm lens to fill out the bottom and a 35mm K mount) but as you can see, I have a good range of K mounts.

I am thinking of converting the *istD to an M42 only body, and building a 3rd kit, this time of M42. That is, of course dangerous for my LBA, which is relitively in check after almost 30 years of shooting and only 20 lenses.

WHat stops me is my lens buying rules. It needs to be wider or faster than what I already have. Except for the 300 and 400mm lenses my K mount primes all range from F1.4 to F2.8 (I only have one F2.8 lens actually). There just aren't all that many lenses in M42 to select that are an improvement or even equal to what I have now, but I still keep thinking about an M42 system, who knows, maybe just for fun.
12-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you have a lens you will think you'll rather have and use, then it becomes easier to sell your unused lenses. I sold some lenses to get my FA*24/2 and this made it easier to let go of the others.
12-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote

Hi have a VERY nice collection of m42 lenses, including the Super Tak 500 1.4 and 200 4
and quite often think about putting them up for sale here or on ebay.
So I get the aluminium case i keep them in, open it up and sigh, "they look so beautiful all snugged up neat and tidy" handle them make sure they are still clean and in working order then think I CAN"T SELL these little beauties.
I put them back in the case and close it saying to myself I shall get them out and use them more often.
They stay there unused yet again lol

Does anyone else have this problem, they really aren't worth that much money to have sitting around when you think about it, but the money they are worth will go towards a new tamron 90mm 1:1 macro

just venting
I had the inverse problem for quite a while. I was collecting two lines at the same time..... M42s & SMC Ks. I realized that although there was a certain amount of satisfaction & relief knowing I had a pristine set of Ks socked away, the reality was that I rarely used them, preferring my screwmounts. Consequently, after a good deal of self examination, I recently decided to liquidate my Ks & concentrate on my primary love, the old Taks. I definitely feel good about my decision..... relieved of an unnecessary burden somehow.

P.S. - My last SMC K gasp:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/81117-sale-tr...-f-4-lens.html
12-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Taff I sold my SMC Tak 50 1.4/ Tak 200 4/ Tak 135 3.5 because I never used them & thought I would get a bit, I was very very pleased with the amount they went for on Ebay - 50 1.4 was like twice what I paid. But I have still kept a few others mainly sentimental. They helped pay for my Viv 105 which I do use.
12-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a K>m42 adapter, it has pentax written on it but i really dont think it is original its a horrible fit
I shall keep my eye out for an original one and keep my lenses until i try them with that
Thanks all for your help, They shall stay with me at least a little while longer

Taff
12-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well ... I ahve hardly used mine ... but i know one day I will get to use them properly.
After finding good quality lenses ... i am not going to let them go that easily.

My Taks are kept in a nice safe place ... and there's no way I'd part with them.
12-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Well ... I ahve hardly used mine ... but i know one day I will get to use them properly.
After finding good quality lenses ... i am not going to let them go that easily.

My Taks are kept in a nice safe place ... and there's no way I'd part with them.
Using them is as simple as saying "today I will only shoot M42 lenses"

Reciently I was in paris and had sunday afternoon to myself. I took my K10D and my 4 M42 lenses, and nothing else. Even changing lenses is no great burden. They are a pleasure to use, and while they might slow you down a little, it is not much. It is actually a form of relaxation