Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

31 Limited on its way (It's here)

Hi:

After much hemming and hawing (spelling?) I decided to purchase the 31 Limited.

My previous posts perhaps make me sound a bit greener than I am, but I did worry for a while whether I was simply too inexperienced to get this lens and simply was wishfully looking for some of the “magic” I hear about with the Limited lenses.

I am not naïve. So, I do hope this turns out to be a good decision.
I am looking forward to the lens. I have a few modeling shoots coming up and this focal length in my studio and basement provides a nice opportunity to take full body shots—with some surroundings.

Thanx to all who helped me with the lens decision and all of those posts I read when I should have been doing something else (well, I did them, just stayed up later!).

Gregg

Last edited by candgpics; 12-04-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: update
12-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
congrats on getting this gem...it is the last I need to complete my three-bags-of-silver. I just got my new to me copy of the 43ltd Silver in the mail yesterday. And it's a keeper for sure. It will work for my needs very well. Getting the 31ltd is going to just be gravy for me...but it's gonna be a while so in the mean time I have to live vicariously through the fun of others!!
12-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It is a very good lens and no other brands could provide this lens with a reasonable cost.
12-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Waiting for the UPS man to deliver mine was the longest day of my life.

12-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Waiting

My hope is that it will be here by Friday so i can try it out on Saturday. It was a lot of moolah. It makes me think of buying a 31 mm Nagler--king of the wide field eyepieces for large dobsonian telescopes--also lots of moolah.

Waiting..............
12-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy this fine piece of engineering.
One to be treasured yet used often.
12-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's here!!!!!!!!!

Hi all:

I just received the 31 today. I am excited, but also trying to be realistic.

When I have some experience with the lens I will post some pictures and my thoughts. I do so much reading here that I hope I can be helpful to someone else.

My sense is there are a number of people like me: the "photo pro/expert" to friends and family, and a decent photographer probably, but you all know better; as well, I have a decent background in basic optical theory from my years observing with telescopes, but I usually know just enough to get myself into trouble.

I will be curious to see if I feel the 31 is a worthwhile purchse.

I have the DA*16-50, but it is at Pentax and has been gone 7 weeks now (AF failure). I am told I may have perhap the end of nexct week or shortlythereafter.

I was looking for a lens in the 30ish range for a backup/supplement and had considered the 35, but then the price jumped a bit due to it being discontinued--whcih closed the distance between it and the 31. I tried the Sigma 24 and was not happy with it. I liked the idea of being able to shoot at 1.8 or 2.0 for shallow dof shots and some low light B&W.

Anyway, I hope I am able to appreciate and make use of the lens as I am sure it is very nice and will be a pleasure to use.

Gregg
12-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
I just received the 31 today. I am excited, but also trying to be realistic.
Why be realistic? Here is a photo I took within 5 minutes of first unpacking my 31. After seeing my first round of pics, I think the exact words out of my mouth were, "Holy shit that's a sweet lens!"

Enjoy it!

Edit: That kid is in school now. And the lens is still on my camera 80% of the time!