Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot give you an explanation as why, but I can tell you these things based on my persona experience with K10D+optibrite KE screen and K-7+regular KE screen

1. My FAJ 18-35/4-5.6 is metering precisely and consistently on both cameras. Notably on K10D it is being used by my daughter without almost no lost shots due to exposure problems.

2. Being a regular eyeglasses wearer (-6 diopters each eye) and using Pentax eyecap magnifier (or whatever this thing is called), I don't seem to have any problems with darker lenses as long as I am accurately moving my eye left and right in order to unblacken half of the split image. It does get dark sometimes and the microprism collar seems to be less functional too. This is probably some kind of inherent limitation.

3. With faster lenses is helps a lot with AF because one can see when AF is missing it and correct the problem in real time.

To summarize, indeed, split screen focusing screens are less convinient with slower lenses. OTOH, it is close to impossible to work with likes of A 50/1.2 without them.

12-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Very good

Thanks for the info
12-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
Just a quick question. Was the optibrite worth the money ?
I am using primes only (F2.0-3.5).

Kind regards
.lars
For my mix of lenses, it was worth the money...barely. I like my Katzeye, but feel that it is overpriced. To be fair though, Rachel Katz provides excellent customer service and it is a lot easier dealing with someone here as opposed to someone in Singapore, Taiwan, or Hong Kong. For someone in Europe, it is probably a toss-up.

Steve
12-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For my mix of lenses, it was worth the money...barely. I like my Katzeye, but feel that it is overpriced. To be fair though, Rachel Katz provides excellent customer service and it is a lot easier dealing with someone here as opposed to someone in Singapore, Taiwan, or Hong Kong. For someone in Europe, it is probably a toss-up.

Steve

The price for the split prism is acceptable, but the price for Optibrite, AF-Brackets, grid lines etc.......wow, seems a bit overpriced.

Kind regards
.lars

12-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
The price for the split prism is acceptable, but the price for Optibrite, AF-Brackets, grid lines etc.......wow, seems a bit overpriced.

Kind regards
.lars
I agree fully!

Having said that... having owned many focusing screens, I find myself(always) coming back to the Katzeye. In short... it's the optibright that does me in. ex: a Katzeye with optibright, on our K200D is brighter than a K3 K3 focusingscreen on our K20D.

So when all is said and done... a Katzeye w/optibright on a K20 turns out to be very bright! Which is a real blessing in lower lighting as it allows(at least) 1 additional stop of light to the viewfinder.

I've just recently purchased a K3 screen from focusingscreen.com to test and confirm my suspicions. And though the Katzeye is one hundred dollars more than the K3, having seen and worked with both makes it a no brainer for me.

PS. I plan on taking images of my own screens and adding them to the focusing screen review thread here shortly. Thouh the OP has done a wonderful job to date, I find the Katzeye is often overlooked as a candidate in testing(probably due to cost).