Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
M42 Photax Paragon zoom

I have an M42 Photax Paragon 70-220 f4 zoom lens I was thinking of trying out with my Pentax K100. (I already have a genuine Pentax adapter) I am a lover of older lenses and often use pentax K and M primes. I have searched the net but can find no useful info re this Photax zoom, perhaps forum members can shed some light on it's performance.

12-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you post a picture of the lens? I've not come across this lens, but I have a Yashica Yashinon-Zoom 70-230 f/4 in M42. Many of these lenses are sold under different brands, so perhaps yours looks similar enough to another member's lens of a different brand that you might get some feedback?
12-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
Can you post a picture of the lens? I've not come across this lens, but I have a Yashica Yashinon-Zoom 70-230 f/4 in M42. Many of these lenses are sold under different brands, so perhaps yours looks similar enough to another member's lens of a different brand that you might get some feedback?
Thanks for your interest Steve, this does seem a less common brand of lens. I have since discovered that the kit this lens is with originally had a Yashica body, so your hunch may well be correct. My one reservation about trying it on my K100s would be removing the adapter ring after use, I always found it tricky on 35mm bodies.
12-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use the genuine Pentax adapter and although it is definitely a pain to switch between K mount lenses and M42 lenses (esp. when in the field and worried about dust, etc., getting inside the body), I don't have much of a problem with getting to the the spring with the fingernail on my thumb and quickly twisting off the adapter. I'm hoping to build up my collection to allow me to decide whether the shoot in M42 or K mount for the day without messing with the adapter.

12-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Either that, or buy one more M42 adapters, take the flange off and convert whatever you need for the day to K-mount. If your lens is small enough it shouldn't affect performance.
12-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Either that, or buy one more M42 adapters, take the flange off and convert whatever you need for the day to K-mount. If your lens is small enough it shouldn't affect performance.
I do that too but caution, your lens needs to have a wide enough derriere to sit on the mount (for added resistence) or else the adaptor may unseat itself as you turn the focus ring.
12-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I do that too but caution, your lens needs to have a wide enough derriere to sit on the mount (for added resistence) or else the adaptor may unseat itself as you turn the focus ring.
As the Photax Paragon lens I intend trying out is a large and heavy beast, altering the adapter may not be a good idea, especially as the focus ring is quite stiff. I have tried the removal method of pressing the spring down with thumbnail and twisting adapter, works perfectly. Would still welcome any info re this lens. Many thanks.

Glenn.