Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #1

Damaged Tamron adaptall 200mm f3.5

Hello. I'm a new member and it was suggested that I post this in the Lens Forum. I would like advice on a used lens I bought that has a problem. It is a Tamron adaptall (not adaptall 2) 200mm f3.5 that may have been dropped. The barrel of the lens, the part that moves in and out when focusing, was loose. I could turn the barrel counterclockwise as viewed from the objective fairly easily but it was gritty and very tight to turn it clockwise. I finally got it to work by screwing it hard clockwise and took a few shots at 550 yards that were reasonably sharp, but not great. Then I tried to screw the barrel in a bit more and photos were not at all sharp. In fact, when now turned all the way clockwise, I can't focus beyond about 50 yards and this worsens if I turn it CCW. I then tinkered more and made it even worse. The little lever with a wheel on it that moves the aperture blades is now stuck so the adaptor no longer fits on the lens. The lens is currently useless. Any suggestions before I try to take the lens apart would be appreciated (I've already demonstrated that I can't leave well enough alone!). Thanks.

12-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! I can't help with your lens problem, but can give this thread a bump to help it stay on page 1.

Steve
12-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have no experience with this particular lens, but it sounds like a few lenses I had. The barrel you turn to focus a lens is attached to the actual focus helix. The attachment is not meant to transmit a lot of torque. In normal usage, it doesn't have to. If the helix won't move correctly, the connection between helix and barrel will have trouble handling the extra force. That gritty feeling was probably screws slipping in the connection. Another typical failure is the rubber focus grip; it looks like this lens has a textured metal grip instead.

I think taking the lens apart is your only option, because the actual repair is deeper inside. You might find some detailed information on repair elsewhere. I can start you off here:

Adaptall-2.com
12-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Just1moredave. I do peruse the adaptall website and there is little useful on the adaptall (1) 200 f3.5. The cutaway of the zoom lens is quite intimidating. I guess on a rainy weekend I'll take it apart and photograph every step of the way. Dr.J.

12-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wish I can help you with your problems. I am a BIG adaptall-2 lens fan. I am a lens junkie. I tried out the prime and I find it quite good to use, not outstanding but it bests itself in small size and lightweight as compared to others. My initial impressions are in my blog entry for Tamron SP 200mm f/3.5 adatpall-2 and here is a picture of my lens

If my copy has been damaged such as yours, I will attempt to fix it myself if not able to return it for a refund. I won't hold expectation on high and I will have the option to sell it as parts.

Perhaps a picture of your damaged lens may invite more inputs.

Thanks,
Hin
12-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr.J. Quote
Any suggestions before I try to take the lens apart would be appreciated (I've already demonstrated that I can't leave well enough alone!). Thanks.
Before you start to disassemble it yourself, read this Reply I just made on another broken lens thread. We have a Camera Repair and Service database in the Links Forum. I ahve entered info about Ralph Innes, who was very helpful to me repairing a broken aperture pin on a Vivitar S1 105/2.5 Macro. Follow the links to his website.

Lots of good info, links, pictures and his repair prices are posted on the website. You will know in advance if your lens is worth the cost.
12-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A picture with K20D to encourage you to sign up for the difficult task for the 200mm prime that I have started fallen to real liking due to its small size.

1/100 sec, f/3.5 wide open, 200mm, iso 2500, 0 Ev

It is dim light in the church and the high ISO is not in favor to
the wide open shot. In my view, not bad at all but it can be better.