Photos: Gallery | Albums
To summarize the above:
  • 28mm is wide on 35mm film, not wide on dSLR
  • 18mm is wide on dSLR and very wide on 35mm film
  • 28mm lenses can be had cheaply
  • Lenses shorter than 18mm can be expensive
  • Lenses shorter than 16mm can be very expensive
  • For dSLR lenses, the three words are cheap, good, wide...choose 2
  • The Zenitar is (relatively) cheap, good, and wide and is a diagonal fisheye...nicely fishy on 35mm film...barely fishy with dSLR
If you are considering the Zenitar, please read the reviews before buying anything. As noted by Dave (above), you want the K-mount version. Also make sure that it is the MC Zenitar (multi-coated) and that it has the lens cap! (The caps are proprietary, fit poorly, are easy to lose, and cost $25+ to replace.)
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 16mm f2.8 Fisheye
I bought my Zen new from rugift.com, though I would not recommend them as a vendor. Kremlin Optics out of Toronto has a better reputation and faster shipping but I have no personal experience with them.

Steve

12-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Blue- thx for the plug!
If the OP is looking for a good wide angle, this is one of the better values out there, new or used - even if you don't buy my copy. I think it's a good lens to get started with. The WR version is more expensive but that's due to it's weather resistant features - if you're not using a WR camera (k200d, k20d, k7) then the extra$ well be of no value to you. The L version which is on the eBay auction you linked to does not come with a hood, and has a plastic mount, unlike the II version which has a hood and the metal mount.

Good luck with your decision!
12-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote

...The biggest concern is the source. Very dependable option is RuGift.com - that's where I got mine...
Jim,
Glad you had a good purchase experience, mine (two) were less fine. Delivery took about six weeks for both my Zen and my Jupiter-9. My first Zenitar was badly defective and had to be returned. Rugift sent a replacement from Russia and it took another 8 weeks. I finally got the lens I ordered in early May at the end of July. I had to pay the postage to send the defective lens back to Russia.

My Jupiter-9 was received loose without caps in a box with only crumpled newspaper as padding. The case and caps were also in the box. Why the lens was not in the case is anyone's guess.

I don't know if Kremlin Optics or any of the other gray market vendors is better, though I don't plan on dealing with rugift again.

Steve
12-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
Blue- thx for the plug!
If the OP is looking for a good wide angle, this is one of the better values out there, new or used - even if you don't buy my copy. I think it's a good lens to get started with. The WR version is more expensive but that's due to it's weather resistant features - if you're not using a WR camera (k200d, k20d, k7) then the extra$ well be of no value to you. The L version which is on the eBay auction you linked to does not come with a hood, and has a plastic mount, unlike the II version which has a hood and the metal mount.

Good luck with your decision!
Add K10D to your list of sealed cameras

12-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I think Stevebrot sums it up well.

I don't know anything about Kremlin Optics, and I had a good experience with RuGift, but that was when they were offering the k-mount lens priced at a whole lot less. But the U.S. dollar is probably losing ground even to the ruble. Certainly if you can find a decent deal on this side of the Atlantic (or Pacific), you likely will get the item quicker.
12-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I agree with Ash. The DA 16-45/4 used to be $400 three or four years ago, and although it was cheaper at one point, it's still $400 new.
it is not - prodigital2000 has for USD $309 all inclusive @ ebay, new and buy-it-now price and I guess it takes paypal and like yesterday M$ Bing was at least 15% off... so it is like USD $263.
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #37
Veteran Member

While the DA 16-45mm f/4 lens costs $400 in most places thees days, deejjjaaaa is right. I just picked up one from Willoughby's Photo in NYC for $304.99. Brand new with warranty:

Pentax 16-45mm f/4.0 SMC PDA ED AL Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras | Willoughby's Established 1898

It seems the eBay price is lower with the Bing discount... but for some reason I don't like doing business on eBay.

12-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I admit to only checking B&H prices.

This post says the DA 16-45 will be discontinued. If this goes anything like the last modern lens that I bought, the FA35/2, as soon as stock gets scarce, lots of people will suddenly need a lens exactly like the DA 16-45.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/82147-lens-going-discontinued.html
12-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Wide Angle

If you are interested in maintaining film and digital compatibility, the Promaster/Phoenix/etc. 19-35 zoom is a viable option at a very good price. The Phoenix version can be found at Adorama for around $150 but if you watch flea bay they can be found for less. Be sure to look for the Autofocus version as there is also a manual out there. This lens is compatible with film. The 19-35 equates to about a 28-50 on digital and a true 19-35 on film.

If you are only looking for digital lenses then a used Pentax 16-45 is an excellent option.