Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Online tech manual for lenses?

Is there an online tech manual for lenses, like a "Haynes" or "Chilton" repair manual type thing like you buy for cars?

Nearly all my mechanical experience comes from working on my car, and as an example I can go online and get a full assembly diagram for the front suspension with part numbers. Are lenses so propetiary that this kind of support isn't offered to the general public or can I subscribe to a site that offers this type of service?

Was just curious really, as it would be awesome if I had something like this. I wouldn't mind buying some broken lenses if I could save money by fixing them up

Thanks!

12-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they exist, I haven't seen them. You can sometimes find information for individual lenses, if it's a common repair or lens. My library has a couple of old books with typical lens repair examples, but only a handful of lenses compared to the thousands of models.

Except for those resources, I mostly have managed to figure out repairs on my own, so it's not impossible. I have three or four lenses that I am stuck on, and a couple of utter failures. Takumar primes are actually nice to work on - quality metal craftsmanship. Unfortunately, I suspect that Seikanon zoom you're asking about might be the complete opposite.
12-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If they exist, I haven't seen them. You can sometimes find information for individual lenses, if it's a common repair or lens. My library has a couple of old books with typical lens repair examples, but only a handful of lenses compared to the thousands of models.

Except for those resources, I mostly have managed to figure out repairs on my own, so it's not impossible. I have three or four lenses that I am stuck on, and a couple of utter failures. Takumar primes are actually nice to work on - quality metal craftsmanship. Unfortunately, I suspect that Seikanon zoom you're asking about might be the complete opposite.

Haha, yeah thats actually the reason I was asking because when it was working it was probably the best lens I had. It was like a 40 dollar lens, but damn it made some nice pictures, and worked like a champ in low light. How close to impossible is it to open a lens up and adjust its backfocus?
12-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote
Is there an online tech manual for lenses, like a "Haynes" or "Chilton" repair manual type thing like you buy for cars?
Not in the sense you want -- or at least I haven't found 'em.

Try googling this: "Camera Maintenance and Repair"+"Thomas Tomosy" for good general tools, techniques and specific info on selected cameras and lenses. Also "Micro tools" and "lens repair". Check the Articles section at "pentax Forum" site.

You'll find that treating the first three or four lenses and camera bodies as 'lab rats' for dissection will pay dividends. And note that the Japanese cross-point screw driver is not the same as a common Phillips #002! A little judicious work with micro-files is sometimes necessary.

H2

12-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

There are a few camera repair forums and discussion groups. Consider though that good lens repair knowledge is one of the keys to a camera technician's livelihood and therefore not the kind of thing that one would commonly find published.

Steve
12-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Not in the sense you want -- or at least I haven't found 'em.

Try googling this: "Camera Maintenance and Repair"+"Thomas Tomosy" for good general tools, techniques and specific info on selected cameras and lenses. Also "Micro tools" and "lens repair". Check the Articles section at "pentax Forum" site.

You'll find that treating the first three or four lenses and camera bodies as 'lab rats' for dissection will pay dividends. And note that the Japanese cross-point screw driver is not the same as a common Phillips #002! A little judicious work with micro-files is sometimes necessary.

H2
I want to add another vote regarding Tomosy's book and Micro Tools. Good advice too regarding the difference between Phillips and cross-point drivers. The correct tools make a world of difference.

Steve
12-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Nearly all my mechanical experience comes from working on my car, and as an example I can go online and get a full assembly diagram for the front suspension with part numbers. Are lenses so propetiary that this kind of support isn't offered to the general public or can I subscribe to a site that offers this type of service?

Was just curious really, as it would be awesome if I had something like this. I wouldn't mind buying some broken lenses if I could save money by fixing them up

Thanks!
Look in the Camera Repair and Service List in the Links Database on the Forum. You will find Lens Tech - Ralph Innes. He has a great website on lens repair and is a lens repair technician and quotes his repair prices on the page.

Lots to read there, lots of links and examples.
12-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Haha, yeah thats actually the reason I was asking because when it was working it was probably the best lens I had. It was like a 40 dollar lens, but damn it made some nice pictures, and worked like a champ in low light. How close to impossible is it to open a lens up and adjust its backfocus?
I always start by thinking, someone put this together, so I ought to be able to take it apart. Zoom lenses are always trickier because they have many more moving parts. Inexpensive lenses can be trouble because of cheap parts and the manufacturer never intending to repair anything, therefore the lens never has to come apart. Parts might be glued together, not screwed, for example. And they may have no provision for adjustments. Also with cheap lenses, you may decide that spending a whole weekend trying to crack the puzzle is not worth it. You won't know if it's impossible until you try.

12-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I always start by thinking, someone put this together, so I ought to be able to take it apart. Zoom lenses are always trickier because they have many more moving parts. Inexpensive lenses can be trouble because of cheap parts and the manufacturer never intending to repair anything, therefore the lens never has to come apart. Parts might be glued together, not screwed, for example. And they may have no provision for adjustments. Also with cheap lenses, you may decide that spending a whole weekend trying to crack the puzzle is not worth it. You won't know if it's impossible until you try.

Well I guess I'll give it a shot, and see how far I get, though I hadn't thought about how an cheap lens isn't really made to be fixed. If I tear it up its not like I lost much but hopefully I can get it working again. Will blue painters tape leave a residue on the lens? I want to mark which side of each element goes up so I don't put anything in backwards.