Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Time of year, for sure. Year-end festivities impacts a large percentage of us, I assume, which means that those precious LBA funds are being tapped for other uses...

12-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #17
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Sorry to the OP and LeDave but I kind of disagree that it's a fair price.
Of course, the correct price is what the seller is willing to sell for and the buyer to buy for. But many forum members here and on other forums (not necessary talking about the OP, but on a general level) tend to IMO over-estimate the value of their goods. While the item may be in 100% condition and the seller knows it, there are other aspects. If the potential buyer doesn't know the seller in question or s/he doesn't have a lot of feedback, the question comes to how big the perceived risk is and how much does the buyer consider the risk to be worth. I personally would never buy a lens from somebody I don't know without a significant price reduction. If we're for example talking about a lens price $200 below street price, I'd happily pay the $200 extra to get the peace of mind with a new product.

Sorry, this starts sounding like a rant.
12-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is that the original sale ad is in the sold section, so buyers may not know the lens is still for sale.
12-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
My guess is that the original sale ad is in the sold section, so buyers may not know the lens is still for sale.
Nice catch!

12-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I think the lens actually sold after he made this thread, and we're all speculating for no good reason.
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
How dare you derail our tangential and barely relevant discussion on economics with such brazen common sense.
12-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I spoke to Dan about the lens and he told me that it's sold already. Maybe someone noticed this thread and headed over to Marketplace to buy it from him

12-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Sorry to the OP and LeDave but I kind of disagree that it's a fair price. Especially in light of the SDM failures, which I -did- experience. Since mine was just out of warranty, I think Pentax cut me a break, but it still cost me about $140 out-of-pocket. That lens for sale could potentially cost more than buying one brand new! By the way I think I paid about $750 for mine two years ago from B&H.
But more importantly, my personal philosophy is that ANYTHING used should not command top-dollar. It cracks me up when for example, I see these guys trying to sell their Harleys for more than a new one, because they've spent thousands of extra dollars on shiny chrome doo-dads. Excuse me, it's used! Plus, especially in this economy you have to be motivated as a seller. I figure I got some decent use out of the item myself, I'm happy to recover about 75% of what I paid- be thankful you're trying to sell a lens rather than a used car, motorcycle, RV, guitar...you name it.
So I'm not trying to offend the OP by any means, but if you really want to get rid of it you might have to be more competitve with your pricing, otherwise be prepared to wait a while until that ONE right buyer comes along. But the fact that it's an SDM lens certainly puts a fly in the ointment.
Probably don't need to continue this discussion, but lenses are different from a lot of other things in that they don't lose as much of their value as quickly. I understand that SDM lenses are different, but in general, a well kept lens should last for many years. This tends to keep the value of them higher, for longer (of course, I am talking about higher end lenses, not consumer zooms).
12-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
I spoke to Dan about the lens and he told me that it's sold already. Maybe someone noticed this thread and headed over to Marketplace to buy it from him
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
PM sent.....
Just a guess...