Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No nibbles on the DA* 50-135...

I've got essentially a brand new 50-135 in the marketplace...and I have to say I'm a bit baffled as to why I haven't even had a serious inquiry on it yet??? Is it that people are afraid of these SDM failures I've heard of?? I just don't understand it. For such a highly coveted lens...I figured it would be snatched up in a heartbeat, especially since the price keeps rising online.

maybe I've got the price too high? I don't know...maybe some advice here would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to find it a nice, new home.

12-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

PM sent.....
12-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
I've got essentially a brand new 50-135 in the marketplace...and I have to say I'm a bit baffled as to why I haven't even had a serious inquiry on it yet??? Is it that people are afraid of these SDM failures I've heard of?? I just don't understand it. For such a highly coveted lens...I figured it would be snatched up in a heartbeat, especially since the price keeps rising online.

maybe I've got the price too high? I don't know...maybe some advice here would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to find it a nice, new home.
Well, I already have this lens, but checked your post and seems you are asking $700 and B&H have it listed for $819.99 ...so yes, for the $120 difference, I would buy from B&H if I were in the market. But then, that's just me ...others may wish to save the $120.
12-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Frankly, it's not the price, it's the lack of funds. I think this is a difficult time for a lot of us to drop a bundle on a lens. I own two SDM lenses and aspire to own more. Depending on taxes and company bonuses (yea right), I'll be in the market big time in February and March for some more glass.

12-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #5

last time I checked, amazon's having them at 30% off..... that could be a deterrent..
12-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #6

I think your price I pretty reasonable. I would would be interested if I didnt already have a Tammy 70-200 2.8. Hang in there, im sure somone will be more than happy to save $120.
12-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #7

unless the new purchase comes with warranty and with the option for extended warranty where SDM failure has raised quite a stir in this community..

I hav nothing against the pricing of the lens, just giving ideas for the original poster.

12-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #8

I agree - holidays is just not a good time for people to be shopping for themselves :P We're too busy spending money on other people! Normal gear purchase patterns will resume in Februrary (after we're done having a heart attack at the credit card bill)
12-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
emr

I think SDM issues certainly are one factor in general. I was definitely going to get one of the DA stars (16-50 mm in this case), but reading about the SDM problems have made me drop the plan for now - no matter if the problems are as common as or less frequent than forum posts suggest.
12-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been thinking about the 50-135, but the Amazon price, new, with warranty, is a far more attractive proposition.
12-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I plan on buying a 50-135 any day now (Christmas present for myself ). I keep thinking I'll get one from the Marketplace here, but in the end, I know I'm going to buy a new one. Two reasons: the small difference in price and the big difference in warranty.

The problem, from a buyer's standpoint, with a used copy of a much-loved lens like the 50-135 is that the price will always be just slightly less than new. Usually around 20% less than a good internet price. That's not the OP's fault, nor is it particular to just this lens. It's always a problem with looking at the used lens market. It's obvously not a problem for everyone, because that's the kind of price the martket has settled on, so it's a fair price by definition. Plenty of people think "saving $100 is saving $100" and are glad for the deal. But when I think "a brand new one is only that much more", it's tough to ignore that. Plus, with this particular lens, that warranty is very valuable to me in case SDM issues crop up.

So if the OP is interested in the kind of math that keeps a potential buyer like me thinking about buying new, here it is:

Your final price = $700 + $15 shipping (insured, but basic UPS ground shipping) = $715
Amazon's final = $819.95 + free 2-day shipping (I'm a Prime member) - 3% reward points (I have their credit card) = $795

That's an $80 difference. If I buy new, I don't enter into the risks of buying a lens sight-unseen from a near-anonymous internet persona, who probably doesn't have the gracious return policy of an Amazon or B+H. And if I buy it new, I most likely get it faster. But more importantly, the peace of mind that comes with a new lens warranty is easily worth the $80.

To the OP, I'm not trying to tell your price is out of line, because I don't think it is at all. I'm just showing you the math that may keep a buyer like me from considering your lens. I truly believe you've set a fair price on the 50-135 based on the current market. It just happens that a fair price for this lens used is more than I want to pay.
12-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a good fair price right now for 700 + 15 shipped. Without warranty it's a good deal because rarely does a lens ever appear to have any problems. Even if it was meant to save 80 dollars, I would jump on this lens if weren't for the history of SDM failure. But due to the fact that this is a DA* and it uses SDM focusing motor which has a history of failures, thanks to Pentax many of us hestitate to buy the lens without proper warranty.
12-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not So Sure

Sorry to the OP and LeDave but I kind of disagree that it's a fair price. Especially in light of the SDM failures, which I -did- experience. Since mine was just out of warranty, I think Pentax cut me a break, but it still cost me about $140 out-of-pocket. That lens for sale could potentially cost more than buying one brand new! By the way I think I paid about $750 for mine two years ago from B&H.
But more importantly, my personal philosophy is that ANYTHING used should not command top-dollar. It cracks me up when for example, I see these guys trying to sell their Harleys for more than a new one, because they've spent thousands of extra dollars on shiny chrome doo-dads. Excuse me, it's used! Plus, especially in this economy you have to be motivated as a seller. I figure I got some decent use out of the item myself, I'm happy to recover about 75% of what I paid- be thankful you're trying to sell a lens rather than a used car, motorcycle, RV, guitar...you name it.
So I'm not trying to offend the OP by any means, but if you really want to get rid of it you might have to be more competitve with your pricing, otherwise be prepared to wait a while until that ONE right buyer comes along. But the fact that it's an SDM lens certainly puts a fly in the ointment.
12-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

NeverSatisfied, you may think it's not a fair price, but the fact that these lenses do typically sell used for $700 means that listing it at that price is fair, by definition. The market has determined the expected price. You may think people are dumb for paying that much for the used lens, but if they indeed are paying that much, that becomes the "fair" price of the lens.

Maybe that price is above your personal threshold, and more than you'd ever choose to pay for it. It's above my personally-assigned value too. But that, in itself, doesn't make the price unfair. It only gets to that point when nearly everyone starts to feel that way. And if the OP is having trouble selling it, maybe they have.
12-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
NeverSatisfied, you may think it's not a fair price, but the fact that these lenses do typically sell used for $700 means that listing it at that price is fair, by definition. The market has determined the expected price. You may think people are dumb for paying that much for the used lens, but if they indeed are paying that much, that becomes the "fair" price of the lens.

Maybe that price is above your personal threshold, and more than you'd ever choose to pay for it. It's above my personally-assigned value too. But that, in itself, doesn't make the price unfair. It only gets to that point when nearly everyone starts to feel that way. And if the OP is having trouble selling it, maybe they have.
Don't get me wrong, I've paid that much and more for many lenses, and I already own a DA*50-135 myself. And it may be a fair price, but what I meant was, if it was MY lens to sell, I'd probably ask a bit less. That's all.