Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10 Lens gobalykuk! Soapbox rant

Okay, asking a question here will more then likely be seen and actually answered is another reason I really enjoy this site. So with the flurry of K10 info coming out and being posted I keep seeing things such as "if you don't have great glass you will not get full potential of K10" or "kit lens not great on K10". So my question or concern is a few things. Each time I see this referred to is generally about a low light shots and issue of noise. I fully understand that great glass usually means great IQ (Image Quality). But you know what that is the same with any body. I realize a lot more people then me have all the great big $ lenses like the 77,85,50,300, things I can't afford at this point. I do have a few "good" lenses DA16-45, A50mm 1.7, Sigma 70-200 2.8 (I will point out what is good or expensive is really subjective, but for me those are my good ones). I have more okay or regular lenses that will get used as well. I am not a pro doing weddings or commercial work, I am guy, like many I am sure, that loves to shoot and if I make a buck or two great. . I don't think Pentax would make a great camera that can be used with thousands of lenses that take ok pictures, but makes great ones with a few. I honestly think it still comes down to at least knowing what you have and how to use it. Heck a P&S camera can take great pictures if used the right way. Were is my point? I am not sure. I guess I have only been around the DSLR world & these type forums for a close to two years and never been around for a ground breaking camera like the K10 so I am not used to the amount of negative or comments from people that may be talking about things that they are not really qualified to comment about. Will I by the K10? Yes Will it make me happy? I am sure. Were is the question in this long and I hope not to much rambling post? not sure. Will my K10 take good or great pictures with my okay or even kit lens? That is up to me. Off my soap box now. please comment at will.

11-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Okay, asking a question here will more then likely be seen and actually answered is another reason I really enjoy this site. So with the flurry of K10 info coming out and being posted I keep seeing things such as "if you don't have great glass you will not get full potential of K10" or "kit lens not great on K10". So my question or concern is a few things. Each time I see this referred to is generally about a low light shots and issue of noise. I fully understand that great glass usually means great IQ (Image Quality). But you know what that is the same with any body. I realize a lot more people then me have all the great big $ lenses like the 77,85,50,300, things I can't afford at this point. I do have a few "good" lenses DA16-45, A50mm 1.7, Sigma 70-200 2.8 (I will point out what is good or expensive is really subjective, but for me those are my good ones). I have more okay or regular lenses that will get used as well. I am not a pro doing weddings or commercial work, I am guy, like many I am sure, that loves to shoot and if I make a buck or two great. . I don't think Pentax would make a great camera that can be used with thousands of lenses that take ok pictures, but makes great ones with a few. I honestly think it still comes down to at least knowing what you have and how to use it. Heck a P&S camera can take great pictures if used the right way. Were is my point? I am not sure. I guess I have only been around the DSLR world & these type forums for a close to two years and never been around for a ground breaking camera like the K10 so I am not used to the amount of negative or comments from people that may be talking about things that they are not really qualified to comment about. Will I by the K10? Yes Will it make me happy? I am sure. Were is the question in this long and I hope not to much rambling post? not sure. Will my K10 take good or great pictures with my okay or even kit lens? That is up to me. Off my soap box now. please comment at will.
well, I don't know where to start LO
I think the quality of glass and the price you want to pay depends on one thing.... the output. I am sure that most people would not see a huge difference between the kits lens and a really outstanding lens if they only make 4"x6" prints. It is when people make 11x14" and larger is where the real details show like the difference in sharpness.
In my experence, my monitor displays way more hues, tones and colors then any print.

so I think the price of a great glass or choosing a kit lens will depend on what you want to do with your photos.
I am sure a little bit of CA will only show up on very large prints.

not sure what my point is either, but I thought I would join in on the ramblings

cheer
11-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think after thinking about what I wrote I am trying tell everyone is , hey my cheap glass will still work and give me great photos using the K10. (I think) And you are right Slipchuck, that the average 4X6 prints will be okay what ever you use. But getting bigger prints you will see the difference. But hey, I had a 20X30 print made from my DS using the 18-55 kit and it looks great hanging on the wall. I guess I am not a pixep Peeper
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love a good ramble

(hope I'm doing this the right way...my first post on this forum)
Hi Pat,
At the end of the day, give the best camera in the world to a mug and he/she will make a mess of the shot. Give a cheapie low end p&s to a person that knows their stuff and they will amaze you with what they produce.

Likewise, I am perplexed at many of the comments surrounding new camera releases, NOT just Pentax.

When I purchased my DS I did a lot of homework, bought various magazines and lurked around dpreview & steves for months just trying to learn.

The one certainity with the new K10 is that some will love it to death, some will like it with certain reservations and others will hate it.

Cheers
Grant

11-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I too don't have the $$$ for the lenses I dream of ie limited primes and I make do with my Sigma 18 - 55 (not a great lens) and Sigma 55 - 200 (I really like this lens) and my trusty DS will do me for now.

But I do think that way to much time is spent on pixel peeping - I still maintain that photography is an art form and a means of communication. I don't think that expensive cameras and lenses make better photographers ( although maybe technically better ones) and I think some of the greatest photos in history were taken with a box with a hole at one end.

And I still drool over the K10D - and I want one!
11-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

From what I have seen first hand (in my own use as well as participating in forums) is remembering your roots. As we slowly upgrade our lens arsenal, we really do see the differences. That doesn't mean that the other lenses take "bad" pictures, it just means that they are not as good as x new lens in your arsenal. I can tell you that aperture is definitely worth spending the money on with digital. Aperture matters a lot with digital. I have the 70-300 4-5.6 and the 70-300 4.5. I have loved shots I get with both. I am greatly limited by potential at that aperture. I am saving up for a 2.8!

When I have discussed sports photography (like football), the lens discussions reverted to aperture comparisons. A 2.8 will make a big difference in my potential with action shots of any kind - especially low light. Kit lenses tend to be in the 3.5-5.6 range, so a lot of the discussion on that may be about aperture when it comes to low light. You can take them in low light at those apertures because I have done it. But the potential is limited by the aperture. My 28-70 is a 2.8 lens and I can tell the difference in apertures.

I probably rambled and didn't make sense. I am not a technical pro by any means. I am the wife, in training under my husband.

There is always a bigger picture (pun not intended) - I mean more like bigger view, understanding, etc.

Faith
11-24-2006, 05:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Pat,
One other thing to keep in mind. I don't think Pentax would package the DA18-55 with the K10D as a kit, if the lens was not upto the task. I also think the DA 50-200 should work extremely well with this body.

Cheers
-Alan
11-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Hi Pat,
One other thing to keep in mind. I don't think Pentax would package the DA18-55 with the K10D as a kit, if the lens was not upto the task. I also think the DA 50-200 should work extremely well with this body.

Cheers
-Alan
I have the DA18-55, 16-45mm F4.0 ED AL and the Sigma 18-50mm and 28-105mm, on my DS there is not a lot to pick for smaller size prints but I am sure the larger (12x18) prints are better with the 16-45mm. Once I get my K10D I will certainly do some testing though.

11-25-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm gonna jump in here and contribute my 2-cents worth.

Will I buy the K10 or any other len good or bad? No, because I can't afford it and I am unemployed and money is running out - fast. But I can sure dream and hope to some day buy one.

It is neither the camera nor the lense which makes the picture. The camera is only the means. Plastic optics have produced some great photographs and fantastic glass optics have produced garbage. The same idea as alluded to further up.

I can't remember where or who does it but I remember one of them was a social experiment cum photojournalistic journal where people on the street were given cheap disposables and sent out to 'capture' their surroundings - the results, I will leave to your imagination.

So, whose turn is it now??? Thanks for opening the subject Pat. But come to think about it - is the Pentax or photography, the subject?

Edit: People on the street means the homeless and drug abusers. I think one of them was in Vancouver, Canada.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 11-25-2006 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Explain further
11-25-2006, 06:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I thought every single lens has its own weakness and advantages. Even there is this so called lens to lens variation as well. Buying a lens is like raising a baby - to look after it, to learn about it, to co-operate well etc.

There are all types of people prefering different things. So not every lens is great for every body.