12-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma will make new 17-70mm/2.8-4.0 HSM/OS

Sigma will make new 17-70/2.8-4.0 HSM/OS, for Pentax mount too

Sigma stabilizes 17-70mm fast normal zoom: Digital Photography Review

12-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just when Im about to purchase a da 16-45.. I wonder how much it'l cost. When will this be release?
12-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That's one nice offering. I own the previous version, and it's by far my main lens.

I do use the close focusing function a lot, so it's sad that it looses some magnification, but silent AF and a faster aperture at 70 are strong selling points. HSM (as they call it) is irrelevant for us.

Sadly, the Pentax 17-70 looses much of its appeal now. The Sigma, which was already the go-to lens for many people not interested in kit lenses, will probably become quite ubiquitous.

I'm almost sure its price will be similar to the previous version, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense. Maybe a little bit more expensive, but if they overprice it (it's already expensive) they will be making a mistake.
12-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Whats the term that use when the lens can focus at the nearest distance?

12-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Whats the term that use when the lens can focus at the nearest distance?
minimum focusing distance?
12-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's one nice offering. I own the previous version, and it's by far my main lens.

I do use the close focusing function a lot, so it's sad that it looses some magnification, but silent AF and a faster aperture at 70 are strong selling points. HSM (as they call it) is irrelevant for us.

Sadly, the Pentax 17-70 looses much of its appeal now. The Sigma, which was already the go-to lens for many people not interested in kit lenses, will probably become quite ubiquitous.

I'm almost sure its price will be similar to the previous version, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense. Maybe a little bit more expensive, but if they overprice it (it's already expensive) they will be making a mistake.
So it loses 2 cm of close focus, gains ~75g on the con side, but has OIS and gains 1/3(?) stop on the long end on the pro side.

I agree about the Pentax 17-70 losing some appeal--they need to WR that sucker! Pentax still has nicer coatings and colour in my opinion, but this is a great range, and some extra speed on the wide end helps.

But it also says that AF is only available on SDM capable bodies, implying that HSM works! (or is supposed to )
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

So...what exactly is the appeal of an image stabilized lens on a Pentax (other than maybe an *ist series or K110D)?

12-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

HSM

should work fine on recent Pentax bodies. So you get the quieter and probably faster focus when used with a body capable of supporting lenses with focus motors. I'll leave it to others to recall which models they are.

It's the optical stabilization that may or may not add value. It will work, of course, but may not yield better results than Pentax SR, aside from presenting the stabilized image via the viewfinder.

But at shorter focal lengths, the value of stabilization diminishes in any case, right?

I'd like this lens but I paid under $300 for my existing 17-70 and I don't plan to invest in a new model with what appears to be small (to me) incremental value.

If I were starting from scratch, this would be an ideal alternative to a kit lens. I use it as my "house and garden" standard. Unless I'm outdoors, expecting to need a longer focal length, this lens doesn't leave my camera.
12-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
So...what exactly is the appeal of an image stabilized lens on a Pentax (other than maybe an *ist series or K110D)?
Except on those bodies it'd be manual focus only...

I'd like OIS sometimes for something longer, but wouldn't need it much under 70mm.
12-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #10

I tried to order the current Sigma just a couple of weeks ago.. They ended up canceling my order because they were out of stock and Sigma no longer carries the lens..

Now I know why.. to bad I went ahead and got the Pentax 17-70..
12-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm almost sure its price will be similar to the previous version
Amazon reportedly ( Amazon.com: sigma 17-70 OS: Camera & Photo ) takes preorders @ USD $450
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
So it loses 2 cm of close focus, gains ~75g on the con side, but has OIS and gains 1/3(?) stop on the long end on the pro side.

I agree about the Pentax 17-70 losing some appeal--they need to WR that sucker! Pentax still has nicer coatings and colour in my opinion, but this is a great range, and some extra speed on the wide end helps.

But it also says that AF is only available on SDM capable bodies, implying that HSM works!
SDM is confirmed in the press release.

The image stabilization is a non-issue for me, however seeing as I already own the previous version and love it, I see this lens as a great package, hard to beat.

The Pentax coatings are better, maybe, but the Siggy is one heck of a performer. My only PPG acceptance is with this lens.
12-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i vowed to never buy another lens that does not have a constant F-stop so I'll pass.....
12-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
i vowed to never buy another lens that does not have a constant F-stop so I'll pass.....
That happened to me the very first time I bought my constant f-stop zoom.
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We'll have to see what they do to the image quality...their past track record has been horrible. The 70-200 HSM had front element coating bubbles. The 10-20 3.5 HSM has worse sharpness than the lens it replaced despite using a bigger front element than the older one.

And it took me 3 tries before I got a good non-decentered copy of their current 17-70 (which I use as my everyday lens)...