Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just parted with an old friend

I placed my Vivitar seris 1 70-210 f3,5 in the mail yesterday might. A nice fellow in Saskatchewan will be using it from now on.

It's an amazing lens but I have not been using it since I got my FA 100-300 and my FA 50 macro. Convenience and reach, not IQ, dictated that choice. I don't aim for perfect IQ when taking tele pictures, it's as simple as that. I have superb primes in the normal to mid-tele range, and it didn't make sense to keep the Viv just to look at it from time to time and marvel at its sleek polished metal body.

It was a near perfect version, so I'm sure the new owner will love it. But I probably won't be using such a fine lens in the near future.

For anyone into MF, this lens is a pleasure to use, and its contrast and saturation are unmatched by anything I worked with except the FA 50 macro.

Now... should I use the money I made to get a 18-55 WR or not? (WR is the one thing missing from my lineup).

12-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you already have an 18-55 kit lens I would get something more interesting. As the kit lens is so cheep it doesn't really matter if it gets wet and damaged, it just gives you a good excuse to replace it later You would be better off adding to your collection of Takumars or something.
12-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't have any kit lens, my "kit" is the Sigma 17-70. I'm not interested in getting the kit lens per se, but I'm interested in building a true weather resistant kit. The 16-50 is a bit overpriced for this purpose, I just want a lens that I can carry anywyare even if forecasts are horrible, or if it's snowing (happens a lot here), or to the beach, or on a boat, etc. A WR lens makes a lot of sense.

MF lenses are less and less an option since my wife isn't willing to use them. The WR lens would serve specific purposes, just like my macro lens which I don't use for normal photography.

I was also interested in getting the DA 21 LTD but don't have the money for that right now, plus I realized the Sigma does very well in this range, so all I'd be gaining is a little bit of compactness (ok, a lot of compactness). But optically, I can't justify that expense. Maybe later, when I get richer :P