Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 06:25 AM   #1

Best lens for hdr pictures....

My husband really wants to start dabbling in this area. I want to get him 'the lens' for Christmas.

Could I get a couple of opinions on the best lens for this type of work in a couple of different price ranges?

He has a k10d.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jill

12-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do a lot of HDR work and it's odd but I don't view it as a lens based or dependent technique. To do good, reliable HDR photography one should have a remote shutter release (wireless or cable), a good sturdy tripod and ball head, and HDR software - Photomatrix Pro from HDRsoft.com being one of the most popular software (runs about $99).

I've done HDR with lenses from fisheyes to long telephotos, although typically I'm using my either my DA*16-50 or DA 17-70 for this because those are my main lenses. So...I'd suggest focusing on the other stuff unless he has all of that. A good book or two on the subject is a big help too. I'd recommend the Compete Guide to High Dynamic Range Digital Photography by Ferrell McCollough but there are others.

Tim
12-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jandbes Quote
My husband really wants to start dabbling in this area. I want to get him 'the lens' for Christmas.

Could I get a couple of opinions on the best lens for this type of work in a couple of different price ranges?

He has a k10d.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jill
In this instance, the best lens is the one that will encompass the scene he wants to take a picture of.
Consequently, it's an impossible question to answer.
12-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If he wants to shoot landscapes, cityscapes and interior/architectural photos I would look at:

Pentax DA 12-24mm f4
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5
Tamron 10-24mmf3.5

Any of these will produce very good images

12-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
what lenses does he already have? Something wide... FA 35mm f2.0 would be the longest id look at.
12-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums. I have to say, based on your question there must be about 5000+ jealous husbands who would love their wives to join PF to poll for the best lens I have to agree with previous posts, it's really not about the lens per se, but rather what the HDR will consist of. If you look up HDR on Flickr you'll see that many of the entries are fairly wide angle, so the Sigma 10-20 is a very affordable and fun lens (note that I no longer have on in my signature and actually regret selling it).
12-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

All the other guys are wrong that your query is hard to answer.
It is actually easy to answer as all we have to do is wait for your husband to answer it himself as to what lens he wants.
Your husband owning a K10D would probably make him a member of this forum.
So all you husbands out there who think that this is your wife (jandbes), I suggest you all make your requests now!

How I wish she was mine since I would PM all the members here to come up, as an answer, with the lens that I would really like so she'll get it for me!
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Please make an effort to post in the right section. If you're not sure, post in Everything Else. Thanks

Moved to lens discussion.

12-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well done Gary, make a new member, and pretty cool wife if I don't say so, feel totally embarassed. At 10,805 posts, I'm sure you've never made an error. I doubt Jill really meant to place her post in the wrong section. It's funny, I rarely pay attention to what section people post in, I just read the title of the threads that interest me.

Jill, from a meager 500 level peeon, I think you're on the right track. Glad you posted your question, and don't let an old curmudgeon like that Damn Brit make you shy away from our forum, we're really quite a nice bunch
12-05-2009, 03:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you can't find him a lens,you can always buy him a 2010 Pentax Forum calender.
12-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You never know... He may be lurking on this forum. =P
12-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jandbes Quote
Nice! Welcome to the forum. You've made us all very happy for your husband this Christmas.

I agree with some of the comments here that it is not so much about the lens... on the other hand, this need not be a dismissal of the subject, as there are some generalizations that can be made.

HDR for me is most often executed in the context of some kind of landscape photography. I am sure folks will quibble, so I'll say ... 'scapes ... cityscapes, landscapes, architectural... 'scapes... STATIC 'scapes. By it's nature HDR requires the main subject to be rather still.

So the intelligent answer here generally would be a "wide angle" lens.

Find out what he has. If he does not have a wide angle lens that encompasses a range somewhere from around 16mm through say 28mm, go with something like the DA 16-45mm f/4. I've had very good results from that lens, and you can probably find a new one though it is discontinued. It's pretty inexpensive, for the quality that you get. If he already has such a lens, the only way you can reasonably go is wider. Something like a Sigma 10-20mm lens would surely be very nice. The other wide angle suggestions above are good too.

The 16-45 will be cheaper and the 10-20mm will be more expensive. Both are quality lenses. There are other choices that can be made, but really the others are right that you ought to ask him.

Another way "out" would be get him a gift certificate for B&H or Adorama in the appropriate price range. If you are relatively sure he does not have a remote, get one as the leader to the "hook" of a gift certificate. This is that for which you are looking: PENTAX REMOTE CONTROL F DIGITAL CAMERA REMOTE CONTROL - eBay (item 170415968578 end time Dec-07-09 14:41:14 PST)

Kind regards,

woof!
12-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Get a lens that won't flare badly when pointed at the sun or bright light sources.
12-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

In my opinion, the best lens for HDR photography is the best lens you would use for anything else. I dont think one particular lens if going to produce better or worse results using a HDR style, rather than any other medium or subject matter. My advice, find out which lens he has been wanting and get him that one. The HDR will be there no matter which lens he chooses, should he choose to explore that style of photography. Like with anything, start with the best glass and which ever subject matter you shoot, you'll be well armed.

Jason
12-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Yes yes, that is all true. Getting a lens that fits the scene best, but...every bit of flare gets more or less magnified with HDR processing. If the purpose is to capture funky flares then almost every lens will do. With HDR you want to register intense hilights with detail which means you'll have to be careful with angle of the lens in relation to the light source(s). Almost every lens will flare somewhat and here the Pentax SMC coating is the cure for flares/ghosting. For example Pentax DA18-55 kit lens is more flare resistant than Sigma 10-20mm (old version) without any filters.

And if filters are used, then it's the quality of the filter which plays a large part in your kit's flare resistance, not the lens itself. A good example here: Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

My advice would be that get modern Pentax SMC coated lenses with B+W filters (especially when looking for polarizer) for modern Pentax cameras when doing HDR captures. Yes, Marumi DHG polarizer was excellent in that test which I linked but good luck finding those...