Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

Need help to disassemble Pentax A 70-200mm lens

I need help on how to open my Pentax-A 70-200mm to fix a very bad zoom creep problem. I have never opened a lens before so I need a few pointers.

I have use tape and rubber band for a while as a temporary solution but now, I am ready to open this thing to fix the problem in a more durable fashion

I am willing to take the risk, I paid only $5 for this lens a while ago at a yard sale

12-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is this lens:

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 70-200mm F4

believe it or not, it was like that when it was new. I have the same thing with a Takumar label, and that's just the way it is. It also has the manual focus feel of a cheap autofocus lens.

If it is it this one:

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 70-210mm F4

I think you can just peel back the rubber focus grip and tighten the screws you'll find under it. That's something I read, I don't have this lens. I have never tried doing this on my old Takumar.
12-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Dave

I have the exact same lens as in the first pic.

I remember that I did peel back the rubber and saw a tiny screw but it looked tight so I did not bother with it

Tonight I will have a look at it again and see if I can further tighten it. That would be too easy to be true!

There must be something that one can do to prevent the creeping. The tape/rubber band trick is too annoying.

You mentioned it creeps when new. Is-it supposed to creep slowly? If I point my lens vertically and extend the zoom all the way and release it, it will collapse right away, making a loud bang.

Last edited by manteiv; 12-04-2009 at 01:46 PM.
12-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manteiv Quote
...You mentioned it creeps when new. Is-it supposed to creep slowly? If I point my lens vertically and extend the zoom all the way and release it, it will collapse right away, making a loud bang.
I can remember taking this lens out of its box and trying it out for the first time, and thinking to myself "wow, that's loose, maybe it'll get tighter when it's old." I don't think it's changed at all. Mine seems a little tighter than yours; maybe being stored for a while helped. I mostly keep it because my parents gave it to me and I know it probably cost them some real money.