Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
sorry but cannot agree that the 43ltd makes sense at all. Nope no way, not a good choice at all...doesn't the DA*55 seem to better serve the binge+mirror-snap+binge+ralph-in-the-planter crowd? I mean someone might accidentally hurl on an unsealed FA Limited...ZOIKES!!

BTW, I do GET the humor from the OP, as well as enjoy the view of the anti-pp'er. Ya crack me up while in some way make sense as well. for all we know you have been here forever but who cares...it's funny!! I sure miss those binge days of decades gone by...when a 12-pack and a shot was breakfast and it was a house rule that you had to cook breakfast for whoever you woke up with!! Now a single shot puts me to bed...hahaha...then again I have better legal RxDrugs these days so it all evens out I suppose.
Yep, back in the days of frat parties I actually had the Pentax Optio 43WR waterproof, shockproof camera. Hurl-proof! Also came in handy during drunken rafting trips at Ohiopyle.

Now I am down to a more reasonable binging levels and people around me hurl a lot less, I felt that SLR with FA can be a safe bet. And thus the upgrade!

LOL @jsherman999 and @mastoberg!!! Spot on advice!

12-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
You see, you put on this persona of a naïve lost person trying to decide where to burn his money and it might even have worked in other forums but there's no way a person that disinformed would have the most passing desire for those lenses. It takes lots of research and education in photography to appreciate their value.

Nice use of "quotes", btw, to "give" emphasis to "words". Does ANYBODY (except trolls trying to pass for dumb) write website addresses with the first letter of the domain name capitalized?

I'm sure you put on a nice show in other forums with the same recipe. Entry level camera body + top quality lens for silly use. What was it with Canon? Rebel XS + 50mm f/1.2 L "for capturing fast action of my kids running at night"?

And you even wrote my username wrong! I guess that's the whole book on trolling!

I hear the Leica S2 is pretty good though. Maybe you should check out what "facebook groups" say about it.
<sarcasm>
OMG Kristoff, I was thinking of Leica S2 too!! My party shots would look like Vogue centerfolds!! The shop next door didn't have it though, and I was like what the hell, let me get the white color camera!!! Now I totally stand out at every partaay I go to because everyone else's SLR is black, isn't that like so cool?!!?
</sarcasm>

Oops I misspelled your name again. Am I hurting your feelings every time I do that?

Last edited by KayMan; 12-05-2009 at 01:57 PM.
12-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #48
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you get the 43 yet? I mean, why do you care if others think in-line with what you do? The 43 is a lot softer wide open than the 31, but stopped down performance is close. It then all comes down to FOV. If 43'll make you happy, get it.

Wasn't going to post in this thread for all this sarcasm on/off crap, but thought it worth noting for any readers that got to here if you ever want to look for photos by lens pbase.com is where I turn...

43 - 915 photos: Pentax smc P-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
31 - 2238 photos: Pentax smc P-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Click more and you get another random set.
12-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok let me take a stab at this. You're looking for shots that stand out from the P&S crowd so that your party pics on facebook are the ones everyone links in their twits...tweets?

Here's the problem: When you / facebook / the iphone resamples an image for display in a tiny box, it changes the circle of confusion...which, coincidentally, is the same term used for the group of people you're photographing standing around the dude laying on the floor in a pile of broken glass because he passed out and fell into the coffee table after holding his breath too long after that monster bong hit.

But I digress. You like the FA43 because it has a narrower depth of field (DOF) which is much more apparent on tiny screens than the wider DOF of the FA31 shots. Back to the point above, resampling the images actually makes them appear to have MORE DOF than they do at full (or regular viewing size). That's why blurry images look sharper when they are resized, or you view them from further away.

So that's all there is to it. At internet sizes, other lens characteristics like sharpness, colour, chromatic abberation and so on get thrown out with the bong water. So...if you want narrow DOF to get your shots noticed, get the longest lens you can reasonably hold with your right hand, 'caus chances are you won't want to put down the 40 of JD in your left.

Make sense?

12-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I found I prefer a DA35ltd for those "Me" shots:

This one is just WRONG!!!

Right up there with the bicycle guy!

Steve
12-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This one is just WRONG!!!

Right up there with the bicycle guy!

Steve
hahaha...I know...but somehow I feel it belongs in this thread! So, who is "bicycle guy"? I might not have been in class that day.
12-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, who is "bicycle guy"? I might not have been in class that day.

Please - please, no. No. Please no. Don't do it. It's taken me months to clean that image from my brain. Please. No link.

12-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Please - please, no. No. Please no. Don't do it. It's taken me months to clean that image from my brain. Please. No link.
oh, oh.......that bad huh? Well I have another more, ahem, intrusive shot and I'm not afraid to use it....ok, I might be a little afraid, well, maybe really afraid...still, I might use it anyway. Think corn stalks in a dark cave!!

12-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

oh, oh.......that bad huh? Well I have another more, ahem, intrusive shot and I'm not afraid to use it....ok, I might be a little afraid, well, maybe really afraid...still, I might use it anyway. Think corn stalks in a dark cave!!

Some people should never be allowed access to a macro lens...

Steve
12-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW if you resize an image to 604 by 453 pixels, photos to Facebook won't get munged because that's the size it munges them to. For portrait images - same size but rotated.

Rob
12-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

hahaha...I know...but somehow I feel it belongs in this thread! So, who is "bicycle guy"? I might not have been in class that day.
I think it was on the "Its So Wrong" thread or maybe the "Lovers of Bicycle" thread...

It was followed up by sumo wrestling firemen...bad...very bad...

Steve
12-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
FWIW if you resize an image to 604 by 453 pixels, photos to Facebook won't get munged because that's the size it munges them to. For portrait images - same size but rotated.

Rob
That is what I thought. Unfortunately, fb also applies significant compression regardless of size and the image quality suffers. Sad, but true.

Steve
12-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Some people should never be allowed access to a macro lens...

Steve
HAR!! If it helps...I no longer have such access...I was low on silver so I made a nifty trade here on PF last week for a new 43ltd to replace the leetle bag of silver that was my first 43ltd which I had to sell a couple months back.

Perhaps it's best to call them leetle bags of Platinum instead?

But not to worry I have ordered a set of manual tubes to get me through the next few months until I can replace my much loved 35ltd.

I think it was on the "Its So Wrong" thread or maybe the "Lovers of Bicycle" thread...

It was followed up by sumo wrestling firemen...bad...very bad...

Steve
D'oh!!! So you are daring me to look? Is it scarier than Nekkid eBay Guy in the Toaster?
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #59
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Did you get the 43 yet? I mean, why do you care if others think in-line with what you do? The 43 is a lot softer wide open than the 31, but stopped down performance is close. It then all comes down to FOV. If 43'll make you happy, get it.

Wasn't going to post in this thread for all this sarcasm on/off crap, but thought it worth noting for any readers that got to here if you ever want to look for photos by lens pbase.com is where I turn...

43 - 915 photos: Pentax smc P-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
31 - 2238 photos: Pentax smc P-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Click more and you get another random set.

M8O, thanks for pointing out PBase - I did not know that resource before.

I am still shopping around for a FA43, although FA77 and Schneider Kreuznach D-Xenogon 35 (35mm f/2 AL rebadge) are en-route! Will post some pictures after I experiment with them over next couple of weeks...
12-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Fa 43mm is a good lens in the way that it is not only unique in its optical formulae but also its special rendering to resemble 50mm summicron.

However, Fa 31mm is a lens standing out in its own league against similar focal length in the competitions. There are not many primes with such build and reliable optical performance, but also demands a much more reasonable price tag.

Fa 35mm f2? If users could not discern the difference between Fa 35/2 and Fa 31/1.8, it is good to stick with the cheaper option. No need to waste money on the lenses.