Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KayMan Quote
M8O, thanks for pointing out PBase - I did not know that resource before.

I am still shopping around for a FA43, although FA77 and Schneider Kreuznach D-Xenogon 35 (35mm f/2 AL rebadge) are en-route! Will post some pictures after I experiment with them over next couple of weeks...
You are going to really like both lenses. I own both the 77/1.8 Limited and the FA 35/2 and feel that it is a privilege to own and use them.

Steve

12-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #62
Site Supporter

43 for drunken portraits...
31 for drunken groups...
medical mary jane to keep the shooter's glaucoma in check...

Now for the "real" topic from the OP...has social web photosharing changed what photographers shoot? Has it changed the technical standards?

I just looked at my photo albums from high school and 9 years in college (I didn't want to hurry the funnest years of my life!). Also looked at parent's family albums even grandpa's family album shots--guess what? With the exception of grandpa not including a beer bong, all those shots are exactly the same stuff everybody now posts on social sites.

My contention is that the vast hordes of photo buffs out there have always been family snap-shot and party documenters. The only thing new about it is posting on the internet and never making a print. The subject matter is and has always been the same. So when the birthday cake comes out with the candles lit--the social snappers catch the action...always have and always will.

Does that mean the lens quality of a disposable camera will evolve/devolve into the photographic norm? For social stuff perhaps, hell, I even shoot "me-snaps" with a Nikon point and shoot my son won in a raffle and I'm a lens junky. So as has always been the case since the first user friendly Kodak Brownie--"me snaps" style family and party photos are not judged by the same standards of excellence applied to gallery works or billboards or madison avenue ad campaigns. Really, just how picky were we 30 years ago when looking at a 3"x5" Photomat print? Exactly as picky as today when posting social stuff on social sites. Not picky at all!

Macro and scenic and "artsy fartsy" shots have never been mainstream--at least not as mainstream as beer and bonghits, so it's no surprise that a scroll of faceytwits doesn't reveal a deep appreciation for fine art photography. No news there...Does that signify a major paradigm shift in lens design? Hardly...

BTW all three amigos (31, 43, 77) do great party work when called on for such duty. The 77 may seem long for the OP, but it works nicely to "catch" party goers out on the porch or otherwise ducking away from the "in-your-face" photos. The couple making out in the corner--77. The weird concoction being whipped up in the blender--77. Shots from the livingroom looking into the kitchen--77. Across the room candids--77. But when the 5 crazy gals decide to do the simultaneous titty flash--31...don't miss the one on the end!
12-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
43 for drunken portraits...
31 for drunken groups...
medical mary jane to keep the shooter's glaucoma in check...

{snip....}

BTW all three amigos (31, 43, 77) do great party work when called on for such duty. The 77 may seem long for the OP, but it works nicely to "catch" party goers out on the porch or otherwise ducking away from the "in-your-face" photos. The couple making out in the corner--77. The weird concoction being whipped up in the blender--77. Shots from the livingroom looking into the kitchen--77. Across the room candids--77. But when the 5 crazy gals decide to do the simultaneous titty flash--31...don't miss the one on the end!
hmmmm...girls are different on your planet....otherwise I believe one would not want to miss the pair on the end rather than the "one"...
12-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #64
Site Supporter

If the angle of view cuts off half the gal on the end of the chorus line.

Actually, my neighborhood is refreshingly strange but that's a topic for Penthouse Forums not Pentax Forums...

12-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #65
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we all [ok, most of us] want to know what road in what town in what state in what country we need to relocate to!

"43 for drunken portraits...
31 for drunken groups..."

says it all... end of debate.
12-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
If the angle of view cuts off half the gal on the end of the chorus line.

Actually, my neighborhood is refreshingly strange but that's a topic for Penthouse Forums not Pentax Forums...
gotcha!! Same as the last gal on the pinwheel at the Ice Capades...then again she had a thing with Oglethorpe so...well, ya know...may as well cut her in half...

12-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KayMan Quote
Chromatic Aberrations from FA43 that PhotoZone.de complains about can be corrected in-camera by Pentax Kx, so they were a non-issue.
FYI: CA is only corrected in camera with DA and DFA lenses.

However, I've never found CA to be a problem in general drunken use.
12-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #68
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
gotcha!! Same as the last gal on the pinwheel at the Ice Capades...then again she had a thing with Oglethorpe so...well, ya know...may as well cut her in half...

I think I would try out the new HD video feature. The blurry manual focus should negate my blurry, drunk vision resulting in crystal clear footage.

12-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #69
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
FYI: CA is only corrected in camera with DA and DFA lenses.

However, I've never found CA to be a problem in general drunken use.
Oh I was so happy to see the lightning quick image results with my new FA77, and thought to myself that may be this lens is so awesome that it doesn't need much correction at all. On the other hand my kit lens takes about 2 seconds to correct after pressing the shutter. Now I know :-((((
12-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #70
Veteran Member

What a great thread! I like this forum... good amount of piss-take without the cross-eyed ranting.

The 43 is a funny length for me. I have a 50/1.4 and bought an FA31 because 50 was often too much. The images from the 43 often do look amazing though.
12-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
What a great thread! I like this forum... good amount of piss-take without the cross-eyed ranting.

The 43 is a funny length for me. I have a 50/1.4 and bought an FA31 because 50 was often too much. The images from the 43 often do look amazing though.
fun huh? a reason I like it here so much...lots of serious talk about photography but usually with enough silliness to keep ya wanting to come back. I noticed when someone gets a bit too far in either way, a good natured bit of ribbing is all it takes to smooth things out...you know, just like with your "real' friends...nothing like virtual "friends" that are more life-like!! Of course one used to end-up in the boobie-hatch for having "virtual friends" who wrote to you and answered your comments...boy has the web changed our perception of what is "real"... ...or is it?
12-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Cheers Brecklundin, and wishing you a 2010 full of health, wealth and happiness.
12-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Cheers Brecklundin, and wishing you a 2010 full of health, wealth and happiness.
hehehe...back attcha...for me, knock on wood, almost anything will be better than this past couple years....so, thanks I need the luck!! And wish you and everyone else, ok, almost everyone anyway...hehehe...see, I am just about half-a-bubble-off-center, so ignore me as a rule is probably easier.