Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Back to the Future

Having very recently liquidated my SMC K collection to concentrate on M42s, I've been heading in the opposite direction. Towards that end, last week I successfully bid on & won a Pentax 55mm f:1.8 Auto- Takumar "Zebra", a lens I've coveted since I was a kid..... well worth the wait..... I wish they had "Zebraized" more models. A couple of days later I was fortunate enough to acquire a small collection of Pentax presets..... what a revelation! I never realized how small & nifty these lenses are. Takes a bit of getting used to handling the 55mm f:2.2 & 35mm f:4, as a matter of fact, due to their size. The real size advantage comes with the 135mm f:3.5 & 200mm f:5.6..... small, thin, & light..... nice! A 50mm 1:1 Macro completed the set. All are in excellent cosmetic & optical condition, although two or three of them need a little attention to the focusing/aperture rings due to a lack of use &/or dried out lubricants. Consequently, they've been dropped off at my "CLA Guy" for a going over.
The "Back to the Future" moniker comes into play with the operation of these presets. For those of you not familiar with the operation of these lenses, they have a separate, freely moving ring next to the front mounted aperture ring that allows you to jockey between the wide open setting & the shooting aperture you've chosen. The necessity of stopping down M42 lenses on a DSLR renders these lenses as more convenient to use than the more modern Super & Super-Multi-Coated varieties that lack this feature. Suddenly, a lens system that was more antiquated & less convenient than it's more modern counterparts, has moved to the head of the pack..... You can have your new-fangled K mount manual primes..... I'm headed Back to the Future!

12-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the purchase, when you know you've got a classic, then it's worth it. The Tak Zebra is timeless. Enjoy it.
12-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now my Holy Grail is the 83mm f:1.9 Preset.
12-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #4

Pictures

Please post some pictures! I'd love to see some of the lenses and some of pictures taken with them!

12-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
Please post some pictures! I'd love to see some of the lenses and some of pictures taken with them!
I'll do so when I get them back from my local CLA guy in a couple of weeks. He's giving them the once over to loosen a couple of tight focusing/aperture rings & repack a couple of others due to dryness induced glitches in the focusing movements. These lenses have obviously gone unused for a long time, & Im picky about these things.