Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Tamron 17mm f/3.5 Adaptall Lens

I recently bought the Tamron 17mm lens from CL. This lens has a metal hood and the filters screw into the hood, and not the lens.
There is a filter that is screwed into the lens hood that I can not get out. There is not a lot of space to get your fingers in there.
I would like to remove this filter in order too see what exactly it is. All I can see is Tamron on the filter.
Any suggestions on getting the filter out easily.

Attached Images

12-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A rubber tool such as is used for removing the trim ring on lenses may help.
12-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I frequently (and successfully) use a sturdy pair of draftsman's dividers or a metal venier caliper scale as a spanner wrench for lens front rings.

H2
12-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I frequently (and successfully) use a sturdy pair of draftsman's dividers or a metal venier caliper scale as a spanner wrench for lens front rings.
I have (untill recently) been using an old digital calliper (the digital bit died) as a spanner wrench. However the cheep one I hadwas hardened but not very well tempered so it broke when tackling a particularly stubourn ring. I will have to ask Santa for a decent spanner wrench for christmas

12-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all.
I thought to try the calipers, but because the lens screws into the hood and not the lens, the hood petals get in the way and the caliper can not reach the filter.
I rigged an old compass to work like a divider and it came right off.

Turns out I have a 81A filter. Not my first choice, but I will leave it on for now for protection.