Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Im also researching about the DA 16-45mm and the Sigma 17-70mm.. The lens that i would really really want will be the Tamron 17-50 but have to disregard because of the ff issues.
Every lens ever made has someone somewhere in the world who has had a problem - real or imagined - with it. There's no particular reason to believe that there is any sort of widespread problem with this lens - tons of people have it and love it. And if you have a problem with yours, you can always exchange it. If that's the lens you want, it would be crazy not to get it.

12-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How close can you focus on the subject with the 16-45mm compare to the kit lens 18-55mm?
Almost as close: DA 18-55 is 0.25m, DA 16-45 is 0.28m. An inch difference.
12-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Every lens ever made has someone somewhere in the world who has had a problem - real or imagined - with it. There's no particular reason to believe that there is any sort of widespread problem with this lens - tons of people have it and love it. And if you have a problem with yours, you can always exchange it. If that's the lens you want, it would be crazy not to get it.
Well I can't risk having a bad copy since there's no service here in my Country and sending it back and forth for calibration or repair will add more cost. and also theres a couple of thread here that says the K200D w/ tamron 17-50 is prone to front focus.
Theres no shop here that sells tamron for pentax mount. If someone who lives near a shop who owns a K200D can test it out & ship it for me then I will be very happy!
12-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
17-70

I have the 17 - 70 an use it most of the time. The range, as you can well imagine, is just excellent regardless of who makes it. Rarely would I want something wider and to go longer would make for too big of a walk around lens. I can't compare it to other lenses mentioned here as I don't have them. My only complaint is the f/4 speed. It is nice to have a constant range aperture but f/4.0 is a little slow. I especially notice this if I add a polarizer to it. Unless it is a bright sunny day I find I am then in tripod mode. For this reason I bought the FA 43 f/1.9. With it I can take those non-flash indoor shots and have so much greater choice in set up when in cloudy conditions or for the six months of the year when the sun spends a lot of time way off on the horizon. If this were a f2.8 or so I think it would be Pentax's most popular zoom. Of course, for those of you who live in the sunny south, that may not be as much of a concern.

My SDM works fine by the way.

12-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Bought the 16-45 with original *istDS. Love the lens. It is very sharp - especially at 45mm. Compared it to my A50 1.7. At F4 it was hard to tell one from the other at 8x on camera lcd. It doesn't have quite as much micro contrast as the prime.

Recently shot the 17-70. Nice lens. On camera lcd screen quality looked similar to 16-45. I prefer the 16-45 for the wider field of view (of course I have the 10-17FE and want the 12-24). Also prefer the non SDM (DS can't use SDM for af). Both are great lenses.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #25 images in compact camera forum. Enter 2nd anniversary #26 contest. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!
12-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

since some people say that the Pentax 17-70 is better than the 16-45, how come it doesn't look it's getting enough love? maybe because of the horrible barrel distortion wide open, CA and price?

the SDM looks promising but it isn't worth it IMO.
12-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
since some people say that the Pentax 17-70 is better than the 16-45, how come it doesn't look it's getting enough love? maybe because of the horrible barrel distortion wide open, CA and price?

I looked into the DA 17-70, but at the time that I looked at it, the price differential between the 17-70 and the 16-50 was only about 150 dollars. For me the extra speed was worth the difference, since I wouldn't use the 50-70 portion of the zoom that much anyway.
12-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

definately think the excessive price is killing the sales of the DA 17-70

i would gladly buy 1 as my walkaround lens, but when i can get the very sharp tamron 17-50 f2.8 for $300AU less, even if i have to send it back 3 times to get a good one, ill still be ahead on price, and ahead on speed

12-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Well I can't risk having a bad copy since there's no service here in my Country and sending it back and forth for calibration or repair will add more cost. and also theres a couple of thread here that says the K200D w/ tamron 17-50 is prone to front focus.
Like I said, every product every made has someone somewhere who has reported a problem with it, real or imagined.
12-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote

As Rondec said above, it's because the high price tag of DA1770. If it's selling at somewhere between 300 to 400usd, that'd be a great deal. But for its current price level, buyers would consider some other alternatives: DA1645, DA*1650 or the Sigma 1770. Now Sigma came out w/ a newer version 1770/2.8-4 which is faster than the earlier version w/ the addition of HSM (works on all SDM-supported cameras), it'd be even harder for Pentax to sell the 1770 at its current price.

I bought my DA1770 here at the forum, not cheap, but I really enjoy using it. I had the Sigma 1770 before, a nice lens. But I really want to have an SDM lens to work w/ the K7 (which has super quiet shutter), otherwise it's kinda waste that I paid for a camera w/ SDM support but no SDM lens to work w/ it
12-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Like I said, every product every made has someone somewhere who has reported a problem with it, real or imagined.
Quite true - on a local forum here in SA a Canon pro tog found his Canon 10-22 was absolutely soft at all aps and was returning it and going for the Sigma equivalent.
12-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I sure there was a test somewhere that showed that the 16-45 IQ did not give anything up to the 16-50 and that the 17-50 was a bit of a dissapointment for it's price.
12-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #28

Yes, the Tamron 17-50 has had a FF problem but 1) it's probably gone by now on the current production line 2)you can safeguard yourself against it by testing the copy you are going to buy at the counter of your friendly local camera dealer, or 3) if you already have a lens with FF you can get it perfectly adjusted at a service dealer. I missed 1 and 2, got it fixed at 3. Optically, the lens is great, mechanically a little loud, and probably not very sturdy.
12-07-2009, 03:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Yes, the Tamron 17-50 has had a FF problem but 1) it's probably gone by now on the current production line 2)you can safeguard yourself against it by testing the copy you are going to buy at the counter of your friendly local camera dealer, or 3) if you already have a lens with FF you can get it perfectly adjusted at a service dealer. I missed 1 and 2, got it fixed at 3. Optically, the lens is great, mechanically a little loud, and probably not very sturdy.
Unforutnately theres no tamron service here in my Country and haven't found a shop that sells tamron w/ pentax mount. Sending the lens back and forth for repair will costs about more or less $30 per shipment and additional tax for the customs.
12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #30

The sigma 17-70 is my favorite lens - if the price of the OS HSM version is right, I'll be getting one....