Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #1

DA* 16-50 Focus Issue

Hi

I have just bought a second hand DA* 16-50mm. It is my first SDM lens. It acquires focus most of the time, but (in broad daylight) the focus confirmation light in the viewfinder flashes meaning the shutter won't fire. No matter how long I keep the shutter button half-depressed (and the camera still) the viewfinder focus light just keeps flashing. I have to point the camera at something else of a similar distance and then focus on that.

If I put the focus switch on the body to manual, then manually focus I can get that focus light to flash on some occasions too. This is when I am keeping the body as still as possible, so it's not liking I'm moving the camera and it is checking the focus again.

Has anyone else had this issue?

12-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes tigershoot.
This seems to be a recurring theme also with the 16-50.
It is always at infinity focus that I get this problem, and quick shifting it immediately achieves focus, which indicates the SDM focusing seems to struggle with locking infinity focus.

I have made mention to this previously both here and formally to Pentax. No word yet from them.
12-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Not good really is it? I had to take a quick shot above my head as the fence in front of me was high (not snooping I promise) and then found that I couldn't take the pic. I had to aim down the street to get focus and then try again. Hopeless.
12-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've resorted to utilising the quick shift feature when this starts happening. Much less frustrating then. But certainly no more reassuring.

I *really* hope Pentax gets its act together with these SDM issues - it's got to be their biggest priority or many enthusiasts/pros will just simply go elsewhere.

12-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I *really* hope Pentax gets its act together with these SDM issues - it's got to be their biggest priority or many enthusiasts/pros will just simply go elsewhere.
I completely agree Ash. This is getting old. Sometimes I feel like I am on a river heading towards the waterfall...