Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help fixing filter ring.

My SMC 67 45mm lens has a very minor dent in the filter ring. it s almost unnoticeable, but mounting filters is very difficult.
Does anyone have any tips on fixing this without damaging the threads?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Swift1

12-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I do: use the lens or filter as a guide to draw a line on a piece of scrap hardwood. Go over to my Rikon 10-325 bandsaw and cut on that line. Put that piece of wood in a vise so it acts as a cradle for the front of the lens. Then I use a dowel or other scrap piece and a deadblow mallet to whack the inside of the dent until it's straighter.

This method is not always useful. The whacking part troubles some people, since you have to hit the lens at least as hard as it got hit to cause the dent. The front element sometimes gets in the way. Or you don't have a bandsaw, scrap hardwood, etc. An alternative is to get a good metal filter, remove the glass and screw that on the lens. It only has to work once, then other filters screw into the new threads on that glassless filter. It looks like that alternative might be expensive, with 82mm filter size. And 45mm might be wide enough that you have to be careful about rim thickness - I don't know.
12-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used the above method a number of times without any problems. If the dent is small it should be quite quick to straighten it out. There is an illustrated description of this method here: Favorite Classics / Filter Ring Dent Removing Tool. As an alternative to dowel I have also used plastic and soft aluminium rod with sucess. The threads may not be quite as new but they still work fine.

Al alternnative is to buy on of these tools:
Set of two Lens Filter Ring Vise Camera Lens Opening Tool Tools
I have not used one of these and I have read some reviews which said that they are not always very effective but they are an alternative to taking a hammer to your lens and they should preserve the threads better.