Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the D-FA 100 and someone bought the Tamron 90 SP so I could compare the 2. Yes there is no focus limiter on the Pentax but in actual use it's not really a big deal I think especially since you can adjust quickly with the Quick Shift. I find this feature essential on a macro BTW, it's just so much easy to work with that.

The focus feeling is better on the Pentax than the Tamron but neither are as good as the nice damped focus feel of the FA77 for example. There is some play that is a bit annoying when you're needing high precision.

Otherwise the Tamron seemed a tad sharper wide open and it has 9 blades. Build quality is plastic for both but the Tamron felt better, the front element is recessed and barely needs a hood. OTOH the Pentax needs the hood as soon as you do macro work. But it's lighter and more compact.

I would buy the Pentax again for the quick-shift alone. Until I can get my hand on one of these rare Voightlander 125mm ... :ugh:

12-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #17

Another happy owner in here.

Only true con is that when using it with the Metz 15 MS-1 is that manual focus doesn't work like it's supposed to. So when using a macro flash you need to keep it tilted up or down to actually move the barrel front and back. The Metz is a bit too heavy, so if you consider getting a dedicated macro flash I'd suggest you look for something a little lighter. Don't know for sure if it's the lens or the flash's weight but it still autofocuses when it's attached.
I never take macros with autofocus so it's the only con I can say. Maybe a bit plastic but as my friend who uses Canon said it's surprisingly light and small for 100mm lens.

Overall I like it very much and like to use it in outdoor parties because it's the longest lens I have. I'm not even counting the Soligor 70-222mm "anchor" that I have as a usable lens.

Last edited by Horst-Helmut; 12-08-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
OTOH the Pentax needs the hood as soon as you do macro work.
I've shot lots of macros without a hood. The front element is recessed about an inch, certainly a lot more than any other lens I own.
12-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Not a great picture but to give you an idea of the sharpness and colour -

12-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input...I have decided on the 50mm F2.8 Macro..should be here in time for Xmas.