Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Compatibility question

Hi everyone. I picked up a Tamron Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter earlier today off of e-bay. I have a manual focus 300 mm (ancient off-brand lens) I plan to use it with. However, I also plan to upgrade to a couple new ones soon. Does anyone know if the autofocus will work with the new Pentax 60-250 mm or the 300 mm lenses? I have a 12-24 mm in my sites also, but doubt I'd ever use it with that. Basically, I'm looking for something that will increase my reach without killing the quality (too much...).

12-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
Hi everyone. I picked up a Tamron Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter earlier today off of e-bay. I have a manual focus 300 mm (ancient off-brand lens) I plan to use it with. However, I also plan to upgrade to a couple new ones soon. Does anyone know if the autofocus will work with the new Pentax 60-250 mm or the 300 mm lenses? I have a 12-24 mm in my sites also, but doubt I'd ever use it with that. Basically, I'm looking for something that will increase my reach without killing the quality (too much...).
Most tele-converters state that they will not reliably auto focus with lenses that have less than an f2.8 maximum aperture setting. Also state not to use them with focal lengths less than 50mm.
12-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found a compatibility chart:

Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 AF works. SDM no re Brad (photo.net)
Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works for DA*300mm re Dave (photo.net)
Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works for DA*300mm as per Toshi, moderator of Pentaxforums.com.
Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works only 10% of the time for DA* 50-135mm but hunts a lot re Miserere
Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x with the Sigma 70-200mm -new with HSM . The HSM AF works. It really didn't work all that well indoors at night according to Dave Hollander of Photo.net
Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC no AF no SDM on DA*300mm re Dave (photo.net)
Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC AF works on older AF lens re Dave (photo.net)
Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS MC only AF works; SDM no as per jgredline of Pentaxforums.com
Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*200mm and all older AF lens re Daniel
Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*300mm re Borno (Tom) of Pentaxforums.com ….SDM hunts a bit with DA*300mm
palmor of Pentaxforums.com confirmed it did not hunt as much with DA*300mm in good light
Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*50-135mm but it does hunt quite a bit and often fails to lock focus according to heliphoto of Pentaxforums ; Buddha Jones of Pentaxforums not happy with its result ;
12-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

60-250 F4 [IF]

I already own the new Pentax 60-250 mm, and it is a fabulous lens. A real game changer.

I have been trying for days to find a compatible teleconverter, zilch success. Did you encounter anything on compatibility with the 60-250 in your digging?

12-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I didn't find anything on compatibility with the 60-250 and have been searching for a while. Based upon what I've seen and what I like to do, I am planning on getting the 60-250 to mate with the TC. That should give me time to save up for the DA* 300 which it works with.

I did get the TC yesterday and it works at an acceptable level with my 18-250 lens. There was some hunting, but I was also messing with this in fairly dark conditions.