Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the better deals (IMO)

Since I sold my Sigma 24/2.8 I have been looking for a replecement. I've seen few lenses I'd consider but I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'll either have to wait loooooong time for decently priced FA*24, or shell out near 250-300 for A24 or be happy with fully manual K24 for around 100GBP....
Anyway, looking at the pages of various used stuff vendors there was an ad that caught my eye:
SMC FA135/2.8 in EX++ conition.... I went WOW, I never thought I couldd get it so cheap. My wife goes: CHEAP?!? And I thought you are looking for 24.... Yes but since I sold 50-135 I've missed telee end save Siggy 105Macro (which we want to trade for 35ltd anyway). So I placed order online yesterday but decided I don't want to wait for shipping, jumped on train this morning (luckily I have day off) and went to pick it up.
Sales LoLed when I explained why I was there. I checked the lens. It's not EX++ but EX IMO (The body is perfect - slight wear and tear only - but there is little scratch on outer margin of front element and some little smudge (no fungus or such, more like a fingerprint) on the inside of outer edge of rear element. Since they don't seem to affect the IQ at all and there is 7 day returns policy and 6 months warranty after that I went ahead with the deal. Why? Because it was cheap! oh, I didn't mention the price did I? OK 119GBP + 4 for tickets...
Last time I checked theseee lenses went for like 250-300USD + shipping. So yes, one of the better deals IMO.....

...just wanted to share...

BR
Peter

12-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice score Peter! It's a great lens. And that is a stellar price!
Speaking of 24mm, have you ever thought of the Sigma 24mm F1.8? I own it and it's a nice lens. Like all Sigma's (and many other lenses too) a bit soft around the edges wide open, but it is sharp in the center. And the corner to corner sharpens up nicely by f3.5.
I actually owned the FA* 24, but it was a bad copy. Unuseable below f3.5 and the world's worse bokeh, I'm pretty sure an element was out of alignment somewhere. Fortunately I got it at KEH so the return was simple. Now they are completely out of my price range, and my Sigma does just fine. It makes a good "club" lens.

NaCl(the Sigma ain't perfect, but it gets the job done)H2O
12-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a good deal--I paid roughly twice that for a genuine KEH EX copy--not one of my best bargain buys but I do like the lens a lot.

What I don't understand is why you sold your a Sigma 24mm, f/2.8: of all my lenses (and I've got a bunch of good ones) , that's the one I always have with me. Well, actually, I did sell my MF copy--but only after I'd scored an AF.
12-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nice score Peter! It's a great lens. And that is a stellar price!
Speaking of 24mm, have you ever thought of the Sigma 24mm F1.8? I own it and it's a nice lens. Like all Sigma's (and many other lenses too) a bit soft around the edges wide open, but it is sharp in the center. And the corner to corner sharpens up nicely by f3.5.
I actually owned the FA* 24, but it was a bad copy. Unuseable below f3.5 and the world's worse bokeh, I'm pretty sure an element was out of alignment somewhere. Fortunately I got it at KEH so the return was simple. Now they are completely out of my price range, and my Sigma does just fine. It makes a good "club" lens.

NaCl(the Sigma ain't perfect, but it gets the job done)H2O
Thank you Satly.
Yes, I thought about this Sigma but I only can find new ones for £380. And I don't feel like spending such money in run up to christmas, plus there are other issues... All in all it's price tag is too high, and it seems to be a HUGE chunk of a lens... so I'll see

12-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
... snip...

What I don't understand is why you sold your a Sigma 24mm, f/2.8: of all my lenses (and I've got a bunch of good ones) , that's the one I always have with me. Well, actually, I did sell my MF copy--but only after I'd scored an AF.
I did have the AF version, but:
a) I never grew warm to it's colurs and contrast
b) A setting was playing up (probably bad contact or bad wiring inside the lens) and sometimes I ended up with f-- in VF... it usually came back to it's senses but ....
to sum it up: I loved the FOV and at f2.8 AF was great, but I never loved the shots it gave me (though some of them I like and some even quite a lot )
12-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Peter, this lens is a steal even at $300, as it is a totally under appreciated lens. I have the F135/2.8 which is the same lens. I rate it only a notch below the limiteds. It PF in high contrast, and no other drawbacks. It's got a stellat IQ, and perfroms well even wide open.

At the price you paid, it's a no brainer.....it's daylight robbery.....deserves a congratulations.
12-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Peter, this lens is a steal at $300, as it is a totally under appreciated lens. I have the F135/2.8 which is the same lens. I rate it only a notch below the limiteds. It PF in high contrast, and no other drawbacks. It's got a stellat IQ, and perfroms well even wide open.

At the price you paid, it's a no brainer. This deserves a congratulations.
Thank you,

that's what I was telling my wife but she's not convinced yet
I do seem to have luck when I don't luck for lenses and I just come across them:
31ltd new from High Street vendor for £ 341
F50/1.7 mint for £20
and now this 135/2.8

I just hope that the smudge on the rear element won't develop into something

BR

12-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just picked up a Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF for £70 with hood a couple of weeks ago, quite like the pictures it gives, I have the manual focus version which will have to be sold.

What sort of price is the FA* 24mm going for now?
12-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

FA*24 for US$500-600
12-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA*24 for US$500-600
Yeah, that's what I've been seeing as asking prices for clean copies.
12-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmm, have seen one for £300 (UKP) locally in decent condition.
Is it that much better than the Sigma? (Which I find not bad at all tbh).
12-08-2009, 01:03 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Hmm, have seen one for £300 (UKP) locally in decent condition.
Is it that much better than the Sigma? (Which I find not bad at all tbh).
For £300 !!! if you don't want it send it my way, I'd be interested.
I only saw one on line in UK, asking price £599
12-08-2009, 01:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

...At the price you paid, it's a no brainer.....it's daylight robbery.....deserves a congratulations.
+1 for that sentiment. For a long time this was my favourite lens. Great IQ, and so small considering it's focal length... makes for great candid shooting. Well done on landing a real bargain... enjoy it!
12-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

But it's such an ugly looking lens... *jealousy speaking* Congrats on the purchase
12-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
But it's such an ugly looking lens... *jealousy speaking* Congrats on the purchase
I remember someone in the reviews describing it as resembling a piece of plumbing. It's certainly not going to win lens beauty contests - function over form or something