Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DA L 18-55 vs Pentax DA 18-55 II

Is there any difference between the new kit lens supplied with the K-x (DA L 18-55) and the older DA 18-55 II? I did a search here but came up with nada. Dimitrov's site lists the newer lens at 20gm lighter, but that spec and some cosmetics are the only differences I could find. The optical formula looks identical. Note that I am not talking about the WR lens.

NaCl(just wondering)H2O

12-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

From all I have heard and read, the optical formula is the same.
To make it less expensive, they just replaced the mount with a plastic one and the clutch focus was ditched.
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

yep same guts as they say...no hood, no quickshift and a plastic mount (which was still decent from my brief handling before I sent it off with UPS)
12-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
To make it less expensive, they just replaced the mount with a plastic one and the clutch focus was ditched.
So it doesn't have the "quick shift" mechanism? That's beat.
I've also noticed that it seems to be only offered as part of a "kit". The only stand alones I've seen for sale new are the DA 18-55 II and the DA 18-55 WR.
Is it available as a stand alone purchase?

NaCl(just curious)H2O

12-09-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No. The DA-L lenses were first introduced as cheap kit items with the K2000 (km) and continued to be offered with Kx (with the addition of the 55-300 DA-L). There are a lot of them available "mildly used," because people get the package and then sell the lens, but I don't think it was sold separately.
12-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
yep same guts as they say...no hood, no quickshift and a plastic mount (which was still decent from my brief handling before I sent it off with UPS)
Oh yeah, that one (no lens hood) I forgot! :ugh:
10-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

I just received my K-R and it has the DA L 18-55mm kit lens. Yes, the mount appears to be plastic (seems fine) and the focus ring has no markings. I have my K200d camera with kit lens, and will sell the K200d with a lens... should I keep the new DA L lens that came with the K-R or swap them and keep the DA lent from the original K200d purchase? If I were to swap, I assume that swapping the lenses might cause me issues if I were to need warranty service...
05-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm gonna bump this. I have the dal 18-55 and from what I've read. The da 18-55 version 2 is a newer/better formula, which resulted in the dal II. The wr version also shares the newer formula. I'm wondering what the formula in my dal lens is. It doesn't have the II so I am assuming it uses the older version and I should upgrade right? If that's not the case I'll just keep it.....

05-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

See replies in the other thread you bumped. there is no "DAL" lens. The L is separate; it;s either DA L or DA AL (with other letters in there too). If the L appears all by itself, it's the plastic mount lightweight kit lens. If the L appears as part of the abbreviation "AL", its the metal mount kit lens - new forumla if it also has II or WR in the name, old formula otherwise.
05-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If the L appears as part of the abbreviation "AL", its the metal mount kit lens - new forumla if it also has II or WR in the name, old formula otherwise.
Marc, see SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Seems like the plastic kit also has the AL in its designation (which makes sense since it also has an aspheric lens in it).
05-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Marc, see SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Seems like the plastic kit also has the AL in its designation (which makes sense since it also has an aspheric lens in it).
Ah, yes, of course, I misspoke. I should have said if the *only* L is the one in the "AL", it's the metal mount version.