Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #46
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
I'm totally with you there. The most I've spent on a lens is $180 for a Canon 75-300mm lens (the plastic piston). It also happens to be by far my worst lens...

There is a lesson in not getting what you paid for.
Lucky you... I'm serious. My eyes may glaze over at $800... but I'll admit to paying close to that. The DA* 16-50 and 50-135 ran in the $650 range each with my Adorama discount at the time. And then there was the $370 rebate from Pentax for the whole kit that included the K200D, both lenses, the AF360FGZ flash and battery grip. But that's the most I've ever paid for lenses.

My other Pentax lens purchases to date have been in the $300 range. Granted, I could get some great deals on used, manual-focus primes. But, frankly, I don't trust my 52-year-old eyes anymore.

12-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I also got a discount and rebate from Pentax on the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 when I bought my K200D. So I skipped the kit lenses. After that, I needed a bit more range at the long end in certain situations but didn't have a lot of money. So I picked up the DA 55-300, which I have never regretted. After that, almost anything can be technically considered an LBA purchase.

My next lens was the DA 18-250 as a one-lens solution for vacations, ballparks, etc. And just last week, I bought the DA 16-45 because I wanted a good, solid, non-SDM zoom in this focal range in case my DA* lenses ever acted up - at least that's how I justified it.

So that brings us to now. What's next on my list? Definitely the DA 12-24 so I'll have super wide angle covered. After that... I'm not sure. I could go after DA* glass on the long end - the 60-250 zoom or the 200 and 300 primes.

Or I could begin collecting Limited primes. Like everyone else, I'd love an FA 31 Ltd and the entire FA Ltd line. But I can't justify the cost (nor can I swing it). Maybe the DA Limited range. If so, I'd start with the DA 35 f/2.8 macro. And I might pick that up anyway. But the truth is, I wish most of the DA Limiteds were a bit faster. Maybe that's what the high-ISO abilities of the K-x are for - to help compensate for reasonably quick but not ultra-fast primes. CBA as an enabler for LBA!

But, honestly, once the price of any lens hits, say, $800 my eyes begin to glaze over. Which means there will probably be many lenses that I want but will never have. I just wish Pentax offered a good, fast prime in the 28-35mm range - for less then $300. Basically an updated FA 35 f/2.0 - or slightly faster. All the other camera companies offer them... there's no reason Pentax can't.

if you can live without AF, you might consider getting an MF lens which are priced
below $300. that is of course lenses from 15mm-200mm, sometimes a K 300mm is sold for almost $300. having said that, once in a while some much sought after rare/hard to find *s and FA lenses and LTDs appear in some places for a cheaper price. some are in mint condition and some are in bad shape. so there's an element of gamble there as well.

I do admit that eventhough I already have a wide array of lenses that could cover all my focal length needs and I would say fair as good or even better than some of the LTDs, I feel compelled on still owning the LTDs eventhough I might find no use for all of them. the condition I set on buying those LTDs is that they should be atleast half or better a 1/3 of their original market value. I prefer buying a well-conditioned used lens rather than buying a brand new lens unless if that lens is rarely sold in the used market. btw, I'm always after rare lenses, so I spent more cash on them rather than on the new DA ones. most of the time, a rare lens is sold in the used market for a hefty price.

winning the lottery of course would increase your LBA syndrome even more. since price will no longer be of concern. the $800 limit is raised.

btw, the most I had spent for a lens is $650. go figure which lenses are those.
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #48
Veteran Member

First lens that I dont need/already have: A50/1.7 from a pawnshop.

First lens that was bought on impulse: DA 10-17 (no regrets... at all)
12-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No kidding! I have a degree of LBA, but it is self-limiting. The most I have ever spent on a lens is the $525 that I laid out for the FA 77/1.8 Limited (yes, new). I have never spent more than $100 for a used lens and most of my those purchases have been well under $50.

To be honest, I have very little desire to have the expensive stuff

Steve
I guess those $100 lenses are used MF lenses. the AF ones that you bought are brand new?

12-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Is there such a thing as lens retention syndrome?
I haven't sold one yet. honestly, it is so difficult to let go of these lenses, but somehow my retired M50/2 and 18-55 WR are in danger of getting sold.
12-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there such a thing as lens retention syndrome?
Yes, I think there is...I have only sold one lens in my entire life.
My database says I've sold 302, but I still have this syndrome. For example, at 28mm, I can get down to two lenses, then not decide which one to keep. Same at 50mm and 135mm.
12-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I guess those $100 lenses are used MF lenses. the AF ones that you bought are brand new?
Well sort of. I have four legacy MF focus lenses that I bought new in 1982. The list of recently purchased new lenses reads like this (in order of purchase):
  • Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro $236 USD
  • LZOS MC Jupiter-9 85/2 $85 USD
  • KMZ MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye $135 USD
  • Pentax-FA 35/2 $289 USD
  • Pentax-FA 77/1.8 $525 USD
So...3 AF vs. 2 MF? I am always running afoul of my AF lenses and actually prefer manual focus, so I am particularly fond of my inexpensive MF stuff. Part of the problem with my LBA is that I have been very lucky in getting good prices. You may notice that all of the above list, with the exception of the Sigma, were purchased at far below their current price point. Lucky me

As for the recently purchased used stuff...My favs are:
  • KMZ Helios 44M 58/2 $15 USD
  • Vivitar 135/2.8 $32 USD
  • XR Rikenon 50/1.7 $30 USD
The low prices make it easier to justify not selling any of them off!

Steve
12-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Well sort of. I have four legacy MF focus lenses that I bought new in 1982. The list of recently purchased new lenses reads like this (in order of purchase):
  • Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro $236 USD
  • LZOS MC Jupiter-9 85/2 $85 USD
  • KMZ MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye $135 USD
  • Pentax-FA 35/2 $289 USD
  • Pentax-FA 77/1.8 $525 USD
So...3 AF vs. 2 MF? I am always running afoul of my AF lenses and actually prefer manual focus, so I am particularly fond of my inexpensive MF stuff. Part of the problem with my LBA is that I have been very lucky in getting good prices. You may notice that all of the above list, with the exception of the Sigma, were purchased at far below their current price point. Lucky me

As for the recently purchased used stuff...My favs are:
  • KMZ Helios 44M 58/2 $15 USD
  • Vivitar 135/2.8 $32 USD
  • XR Rikenon 50/1.7 $30 USD
The low prices make it easier to justify not selling any of them off!

Steve

the Helios seem to sell quite a bit at that range nowadays, especially for an M42 mount. I think the TAK 55/1.8 sells at a much higher premium but still cheap.

12-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #54
Site Supporter

if you can live without AF, you might consider getting an MF lens which are priced
below $300. that is of course lenses from 15mm-200mm, sometimes a K 300mm is sold for almost $300. having said that, once in a while some much sought after rare/hard to find *s and FA lenses and LTDs appear in some places for a cheaper price. some are in mint condition and some are in bad shape. so there's an element of gamble there as well.
I posted a second time just above you. I realize I could get some great deals on used, manual-focus primes. But, frankly, I don't trust my 52-year-old eyes anymore.

btw, the most I had spent for a lens is $650. go figure which lenses are those.
I would guess the DA* 16-50 and 50-135. But it doesn't appear that you own them now. Maybe the DA 12-24?