Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #31

Hi,

My first LBA-induced buy was a Nikkor-O 35/2: i'm a Pentax shooter, but, since then, i have learned through this and another forum how to use Nikkors on my K10D ...

Cheers

12-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
. . .

Hence I believe there cannot be a clearcut definition of when a lens buy is evidence of LBA. "Real photographers" may frown at people who spend more time researching and buying lenses rather than shooting with what they've got, but then photography is a hobby that makes sense both artist-ically and gearist-ically.
That is a good assessment with which I concur.
12-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
I guess a severe proof of the disease was when I some time ago bought my A 50mm 1.4. Why? Well, I already had an F 50mm 1.4. And an FA 50 mm 1.4...
Since I already had the FA 50mm f1.4 and an M 50mm f1.4 (as well as Super Tak and S-M-C 50mm f1.4) I got the A f1.2 to avoid redundancy.
12-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

so to "control" my LBA, I set some basic rules, ....... Nevery buy anything slower than I already have at any focal lenght.
"Control"

I did follow this rule. I had an M50/1.4, somehow bought an FA 50/1.4 - this kinda counts as at least it's AF doesn't it?

Then a Cosina 55/1.2 comes along - kaching!
Ooops, a deal on a Pentax-A 50/1.2 comes along - kaching!

CFO sees the credit card bill and knows it's me cause it has "paypal" - you are definitely addicted! you need to control this addiction of yours!

12-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
"Control"

I did follow this rule. I had an M50/1.4, somehow bought an FA 50/1.4 - this kinda counts as at least it's AF doesn't it?

Then a Cosina 55/1.2 comes along - kaching!
Ooops, a deal on a Pentax-A 50/1.2 comes along - kaching!

CFO sees the credit card bill and knows it's me cause it has "paypal" - you are definitely addicted! you need to control this addiction of yours!
you still have not exhibited LBA, because I shortened the rule down to post.

I will purchase an A version if I have only K, or AF if I have only A or K because it provides additional functionality, but now where I am headed is
an M42 kit, a K/KA kit, and an AF kit.
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I bought my K10 Pentax was having a sale so I bought the 16-50 and 50-135 to go with it. My1st LBA purchase was an M 50 f/1.7 which focal length was already covered by the 2 lenses I had. But I read such good things about it here and saw the wonderful images that I just had to have one. It's been all downhill since then to the tune of 8 more that I really don't need but really just had to have.
12-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I also got a discount and rebate from Pentax on the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 when I bought my K200D. So I skipped the kit lenses. After that, I needed a bit more range at the long end in certain situations but didn't have a lot of money. So I picked up the DA 55-300, which I have never regretted. After that, almost anything can be technically considered an LBA purchase.

My next lens was the DA 18-250 as a one-lens solution for vacations, ballparks, etc. And just last week, I bought the DA 16-45 because I wanted a good, solid, non-SDM zoom in this focal range in case my DA* lenses ever acted up - at least that's how I justified it.

So that brings us to now. What's next on my list? Definitely the DA 12-24 so I'll have super wide angle covered. After that... I'm not sure. I could go after DA* glass on the long end - the 60-250 zoom or the 200 and 300 primes.

Or I could begin collecting Limited primes. Like everyone else, I'd love an FA 31 Ltd and the entire FA Ltd line. But I can't justify the cost (nor can I swing it). Maybe the DA Limited range. If so, I'd start with the DA 35 f/2.8 macro. And I might pick that up anyway. But the truth is, I wish most of the DA Limiteds were a bit faster. Maybe that's what the high-ISO abilities of the K-x are for - to help compensate for reasonably quick but not ultra-fast primes. CBA as an enabler for LBA!

But, honestly, once the price of any lens hits, say, $800 my eyes begin to glaze over. Which means there will probably be many lenses that I want but will never have. I just wish Pentax offered a good, fast prime in the 28-35mm range - for less then $300. Basically an updated FA 35 f/2.0 - or slightly faster. All the other camera companies offer them... there's no reason why Pentax can't.

Last edited by Biro; 12-09-2009 at 08:58 PM.
12-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

DA 70mm f2.4 LTD... Once you get the taste of pancakes... You can't stop!! lol (:
12-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by miks Quote
If only i had money to burn, i'll get lenses suited for each one.
Well you see right there, I can already tell you haven't experience "true LBA" yet
True LBA is the type of condition that makes one buy lenses even when they're broke!
Don't ask me how(cosmic anomaly, divine intervention, whatever), it just happens.
12-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you still have not exhibited LBA, because I shortened the rule down to post.

I will purchase an A version if I have only K, or AF if I have only A or K because it provides additional functionality, but now where I am headed is
an M42 kit, a K/KA kit, and an AF kit.
Ok, can you pls tell my CFO that I'm not addicted

Guess this means I need to get a 50 Tak, hmmm....... let me check the paypal acct.
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Well you see right there, I can already tell you haven't experience "true LBA" yet
True LBA is the type of condition that makes one buy lenses even when they're broke!
Don't ask me how(cosmic anomaly, divine intervention, whatever), it just happens.
or went broke because of LBA !!!
12-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's when your explainations as to WHY you need the lens don't even convince yourself, you know you're in trouble.

I have a plastic Ricoh 50mm f/2
I also have a Pentax-F 50mm f/1.7

I wanted a 50mm Pentax-M f/1.4 which I knew was not optically as good as the f/1.7 but *felt* so good and was half a stop quicker. Totally worth it, it's pretty much my favourite lens now... it has 'soul'...

As I don't have a Pentax dSLR, I really don't need the Pentax-F f/1.7 but I wouldn't get rid of it for less than $200 because "you never really know" what your next body's going to be! Is there such a thing as lens retention syndrome?

It all works out for the best because my better half gets my best 50mm to use on her superprogram
12-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
...But, honestly, once the price of any lens hits, say, $800 my eyes begin to glaze over...
No kidding! I have a degree of LBA, but it is self-limiting. The most I have ever spent on a lens is the $525 that I laid out for the FA 77/1.8 Limited (yes, new). I have never spent more than $100 for a used lens and most of my those purchases have been well under $50.

To be honest, I have very little desire to have the expensive stuff

Steve
12-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
...Is there such a thing as lens retention syndrome?...
Yes, I think there is...I have only sold one lens in my entire life.

Steve
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No kidding! I have a degree of LBA, but it is self-limiting. The most I have ever spent on a lens is the $525 that I laid out for the FA 77/1.8 Limited (yes, new). I have never spent more than $100 for a used lens and most of my those purchases have been well under $50.

To be honest, I have very little desire to have the expensive stuff

Steve

I'm totally with you there. The most I've spent on a lens is $180 for a Canon 75-300mm lens (the plastic piston). It also happens to be by far my worst lens...

There is a lesson in not getting what you paid for.