Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We / I / then my sister had a '72 Dart with the slant 6 and auto, no air, no radio, bare bones. Avocado green or whatever they called that. Couldn't drive it past 60mph for long because the engine would over heat. Definitely a Limited car - they couldn't have sold many of these without any options.

12-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
We / I / then my sister had a '72 Dart with the slant 6 and auto, no air, no radio, bare bones. Avocado green or whatever they called that. Couldn't drive it past 60mph for long because the engine would over heat. Definitely a Limited car - they couldn't have sold many of these without any options.
I had a 73 Dodge Dart with the same 225 ci slant six ... we called it the flying fortress, as it kept running with only regular service well past 125k miles.... that is a lot for an early 70s Chrysler product. Ugly little dad-mobile, but it transported me through my early adulthood.

I guess it would have been a "Super-Takumar" probably a 55mm f2 in lens terms ...nothing very special, but unstoppable at what it was designed for.
12-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #18

What I don't understand is why define a set of lenses as 'Limited' and then have a star (*) run of lenses as well. What is the differentiation?
12-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I don't have any Limiteds, but I wrecked my dad's LTD just after getting my license! He punished me by getting a 73 Dodge Dart, slant-6 + 3 speed manual transmission on the column, to replace it.
Having owned a 1970 Duster w/ slant-6 and auto trans. I seriously feel for you.

Steve

12-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I can't make ANY comments about vehicles...my first was a 1969 VW Van...LOVED it, even took it into the boonies and crossed swollen streams by opening the sliding door and the drivers side and passenger doors so the water could flow through w/o tipping us arse over tea kettle...It has a rusting front end because they were like a self contained bug swatter when driving 50mph, well I could manage 55mph downhill with a tailwind. I hand sanded the prepared the font end, then took it to good old Earl Scheib, who had increased prices to $69.95 (awwwkkk!!) and picked butterscotch since it was orange & white to begin with...welllll, apparently Earl's idea of butterscotch was SCHOOL BUS ORANGE!! hahahaha....still I had the only vehicle of our group and we all LOVED it and went everywhere in the beast. The funny part is it is still running and owned by the guy I sold it to in the early 90s (yeah, I held on to it that long). So in a way it too was limited because I doubt there was another in the US the same color!

At least nobody here seems to have being force fed a Gremlin...actually the Pacer was a decent vehicle, just kinda goofy looking.
12-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i am not sure limited means anything these days because I am not aware of being able to purchase the lens in "non limited" fashion.

In the old days, it was possible to purchase I believe both reguar and * lenses, with the * lenses being perhaps closer to ideal specifications through probably screening.

Today I think limited is just a word,
12-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i am not sure limited means anything these days because I am not aware of being able to purchase the lens in "non limited" fashion.

In the old days, it was possible to purchase I believe both regular and * lenses, with the * lenses being perhaps closer to ideal specifications through probably screening.

Today I think limited is just a word,
I tend to agree with one possible caveat which just came to mind with your comment. I do not recall any posts with real problems with any ltd lens. I know I made a couple posts when my 77ltd and I were, ahem, "having words and learning to co-exist..." hahaha....but I don't recall ever having come across problems with anything mechanical or QC related on the Limited series. So I am thinking part of the use of the word is because these lenses see much more attention before leaving the factory. Or have I just missed issues?

Something that would be really nice is if, for just the limited's, make the warranty 3yrs just in case. I think the risk would be very low on Pentax's part if these lenses do get more QC attention and are individually inspected before getting boxed up. Though I wonder of the DA Ltd's see the same attention as the FA's...that is assuming the FA's receive more attention and inspection.

If any of that is true, Pentax needs to promote it to elevate the series even more in the eyes of me hacks who crave more gear than we have talent. hehehe...

12-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Ooh, not a good color. Ours did not overheat, but would grab onto a seam in pavement, like between the highway and shoulder, and track it forever. My brother and I drove it out to his college a few times, with a strict regimen of adding a quart of oil every couple of hours.
12-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I tend to agree with one possible caveat which just came to mind with your comment. I do not recall any posts with real problems with any ltd lens. I know I made a couple posts when my 77ltd and I were, ahem, "having words and learning to co-exist..." hahaha....but I don't recall ever having come across problems with anything mechanical or QC related on the Limited series. So I am thinking part of the use of the word is because these lenses see much more attention before leaving the factory. Or have I just missed issues?

Something that would be really nice is if, for just the limited's, make the warranty 3yrs just in case. I think the risk would be very low on Pentax's part if these lenses do get more QC attention and are individually inspected before getting boxed up. Though I wonder of the DA Ltd's see the same attention as the FA's...that is assuming the FA's receive more attention and inspection.

If any of that is true, Pentax needs to promote it to elevate the series even more in the eyes of me hacks who crave more gear than we have talent. hehehe...
NO!!!! Increasing the warranty is the first step towards lowering quality!
12-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
That depends on who is managing the warranty and design.

to increase warranty period is usually a cost driver because the liability exists longer, and you are potentially also exposed to what I would call latent defects which take several years to develop, and where a normal warranty would not be hit with these costs.

Therefore, where does the money come from? A good company will look at failures and redesign things, or for new lenses design them to remove minor failure modes thereby reducing the warranty cost. A poor company will make up the provisions by cutting manufacturing costs somewhere, which can lead to lower quality.

The real question is, what type of company is pentax?
12-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Ya know...that has some merit and makes sense. Like I mentioned I don't recall seeing people with any significant issues from an FA Limited lens. I don't watch the DA's as much but can say my 35ltd was dead-soild-perfect ever shot.

Longer warranties could lead to less QC at the factory. I love Sigma but there is a reason they offer a 4yr warranty on their EX line of lenses.
12-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote

...Longer warranties could lead to less QC at the factory. I love Sigma but there is a reason they offer a 4yr warranty on their EX line of lenses.
A fact that is generally not appreciated. Make the item cheaply enough and charge a lot of money for it and you can warranty it forever.

Steve
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A fact that is generally not appreciated. Make the item cheaply enough and charge a lot of money for it and you can warranty it forever.

Steve
Could be people feel this way because many companies make products which seem to fail shortly after the warranty expirescoughsdmcoughcough